W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That not coveting is the hardest of the Ten Commandments to keep because it is easy to covet another Christian's spiritual progress.
Thank you. I believe its a root sin that leads to other sins. Being discontent is a sin in itself, because we are commanded to live by faith and seek the kingdom. Covetousness also leads to strife which is a work of flesh.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you. I believe its a root sin that leads to other sins. Being discontent is a sin in itself, because we are commanded to live by faith and seek the kingdom. Covetousness also leads to strife which is a work of flesh.

Amen. Yes it is a root sin that leads to other sins and it is based on "pride".

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with all of that but this especially speaks to me. If I experience discontent I am not surrendered and 'Thy will be done' is mere lip-service. Like, these words are a neon sign to me right now!
Being discontent is a sin in itself

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with all of that but this especially speaks to me. If I experience discontent I am not surrendered and 'Thy will be done' is mere lip-service. Like, these words are a neon sign to me right now!
Me too. :)

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are your thoughts on covetousness?
As a child, I used to read the Bible during the sermon( they bored me at that age) And I used to wonder why: Thou shalt not covet was one of the TC. It seemed so trivial to me. I imagined God just put it in at the end to round the number up to ten! But in those days I thought it only referred to material goods,such as coveting your neighbours car for instance.
Now I know better. King David coveted and quickly broke two more of the TC by doing so. I would say it is the hardest of the TC to keep, certainly along with the first.
Saul the pharisee could faultlessly obey the legalistic law, but he gave: Thou shalt not covet, as the example of why he was condemned by the law. It is a commandment you can break without anyone but you and God knowing you are doing so. For it regards what goes on in the inside of man. And let's face it, none of us are perfect in that regard
The leaders of the Pharisees, on the outside appeared such holy and pious people. But Jesus tells us, on the inside they were full of wickedness, hypocrisy and everything unclean. Which comnandment was getting broken mainly for them to be like that?
Paul wrote nearly an entire chapter on coveting( rom ch7) in my view one of the most insightful chapters he wrote, and he did write many

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a child, I used to read the Bible during the sermon( they bored me at that age) And I used to wonder why: Thou shalt not covet was one of the TC. It seemed so trivial to me. I imagined God just put it in at the end to round the number up to ten! But in those days I thought it only referred to material goods,such as coveting your neighbours car for instance.
Now I know better. King David coveted and quickly broke two more of the TC by doing so. I would say it is the hardest of the TC to keep, certainly along with the first.
Saul the pharisee could faultlessly obey the legalistic law, but he gave: Thou shalt not covet, as the example of why he was condemned by the law. It is a commandment you can break without anyone but you and God knowing you are doing so. For it regards what goes on in the inside of man. And let's face it, none of us are perfect in that regard
The leaders of the Pharisees, on the outside appeared such holy and pious people. But Jesus tells us, on the inside they were full of wickedness, hypocrisy and everything unclean. Which comnandment was getting broken mainly for them to be like that?
Paul wrote nearly an entire chapter on coveting( rom ch7) in my view one of the most insightful chapters he wrote, and he did write many
Thank you. Good words.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a commandment, yet its also full of promise.

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”[a] 6 So we may boldly say:

“The Lord is my helper;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?”

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. Good words.
Thank you for saying so.
I will take a keen interest in how this thread progresses. As I said, rom ch7 directly relates to this subject, and much could be said concerning it.
Good thread to start. I hope people find it helpful

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for saying so.
I will take a keen interest in how this thread progresses. As I said, rom ch7 directly relates to this subject, and much could be said concerning it.
Good thread to start. I hope people find it helpful
Thank you. I hope it will be helpful as well, to me and others.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe its a root sin that leads to other sins.

Since covetousness is about wanting something someone else has, and to which you have no right, one part of the defence against it is to do what Paul said "in everything give thanks." Be constantly grateful for what you have - i.e. what you have been given ... ultimately by God. And in your gratitude you can find contentment. You will also find joy. With gratitude, contentment and joy you can disarm covetousness. To do all this of course, you will probably need the help of the Holy Spirit. It is not easy to be thankful for consistently bad health, or being struck by natural catastrophes and the like. But God promises that he works in everything for the good of those who love him (Rom 8:28) and he has promised that he will not withhold anything that is good for those who live uprightly. (Psalm 94). You can't lose ... so why covet? (Yeah, I know it's not that easy!)

Then ... the next step is to start giving...o_O

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since covetousness is about wanting something someone else has, and to which you have no right, one part of the defence against it is to do what Paul said "in everything give thanks." Be constantly grateful for what you have - i.e. what you have been given ... ultimately by God. And in your gratitude you can find contentment. You will also find joy. With gratitude, contentment and joy you can disarm covetousness. To do all this of course, you will probably need the help of the Holy Spirit. It is not easy to be thankful for consistently bad health, or being struck by natural catastrophes and the like. But God promises that he works in everything for the good of those who love him (Rom 8:28) and he has promised that he will not withhold anything that is good for those who live uprightly. (Psalm 94). You can't lose ... so why covet? (Yeah, I know it's not that easy!)

Then ... the next step is to start giving...o_O
Thank you. I believe covetousness is more than wanting something we have no right to, but its also wanting more than we already have. this goes beyond the 10 commandments.

I have times in my life when i must follow the word which says to me, "do not covet" and "be content with what you have". Its delightful actually because that's the Lord leading me.

Upvote 0