Jul 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
✟17,605.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The 10th Commandment of GOD

Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his (censored), nor any thing that [is] thy neighbour's.

The reason this is one of the 10 commandments is because it wars against our Faith in GOD, it nourishes selfishness, thefts, envy, jealousy, haughtiness, pride, greed and strife when we unrighteously judge others less fortunate then ourselves. That which our heart desires more than GOD, wars against our Faith in HIM. We do our own souls injustice as we strive to "keep up with the Jones". It will truly leave us wretched, miserable, poor in faith (Proverbs 13:7, James 2:5), and blind to GOD's will.

Our society is geared toward covetousness, every televised commercial appeals to it. We see something we want (desire of our hearts) and then we convince ourselves that it is a need. Anything and/or anybody that takes precedence over our relationship with and desires to please GOD, stands in our way of getting closer to knowing HIM.

Let us take a look at Jethro's (Moses father in law) counsel to Moses in reference to the men chosen to judge the Israelites (GOD's chosen people). Exodus 18: 19 - 24

Exodus 18:19-24 Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God: And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do. Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place [such] over them, [to be] rulers of thousands, [and] rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens: And let them judge the people at all seasons: and it shall be, [that] every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge: so shall it be easier for thyself, and they shall bear [the burden] with thee. If thou shalt do this thing, and God command thee [so], then thou shalt be able to endure, and all this people shall also go to their place in peace. So Moses hearkened to the voice of his father in law, and did all that he had said.

My 7 year old son was told by his Sunday school teacher that covetousness is wanting something your neighbor has, bad enough that you would steal it. I totally disagree with the teaching of this Sunday school teacher. If his definition of covetousness is such, then in reality by definition one has already stolen. Matthew 5:28 "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." If Jesus testifies this to be true of adultery is this not true as well of any other sin against GOD's Commandments? Why would there be a need to have "Thou shalt not steal" as a redundant commandment? If covetousness is a thought only, how would one know who is covetous? Covetousness begins as a thought and then action takes place. Every sin of man begins in the heart, and please be aware that our hearts as well as actions will be judged by GOD's word.

1 John 2:15-16 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Covetousness (Easton's Dictionary) :

a strong desire after the possession of worldly things (Col. 3:5; Eph. 5:5; Heb. 13:5; 1 Tim. 6:9, 10; Matt. 6:20). It assumes sometimes the more aggravated form of avarice, which is the mark of cold-hearted worldliness.

We Christians make up sayings such as "The Lord helps those who help themselves" without realizing how very greedy, selfish and judgmental of others that this sounds to our Heavenly Father. Truth is that GOD helps those who love HIM and keep his commandments, and that help is meeting needs (physical and spiritual). If every Christian would truly follow biblical teachings and give monetarily as well as physically to the cause of those in need, after their own needs (not wants, there is a big difference) have been met, this world and our communities would be a whole lot better off. (James 1:27) Let us stop justifying our own selfish desires with such vain sayings and truly grasp the gospel of TRUTH and grow in our Faith in GOD.

Jesus says:

Matthew 16:24-26 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, "If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Matthew 25:31-46 "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Mark 11:22-24 And Jesus answering saith unto them, "Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive [them], and ye shall have [them]."

(I would like to offer a word of caution here, be careful about what you pray for, because you will get it if you believe that you will, but in GOD's time and not your own. Don't think that he will provide you with anything that is covetous and nourishes detestable thoughts and acts in his sight, because HE won't.)

Luke 12:15 And he said unto them, "Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth."

Luke 18:7-8 "And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"

Jesus taught how to avoid covetousness in Matthew 6 and that is through FAITH in GOD:

Matthew 6:24-34 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (wealth/riches). Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, [shall he] not much more [clothe] you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day [is] the evil thereof."

The Apostle Paul wrote:

1 Timothy 6:3-19 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, [even] the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and [into] many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and [before] Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; That thou keep [this] commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, [who is] the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom [be] honour and power everlasting. Amen. Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

Where is your faith? Is it in your own ability to provide with your own hands that which you think is rightfully due you? Or is your faith in GOD who if you seek HIM will fill all your needs here on earth and give you eternal treasures as well, far above and beyond what this world has to offer?

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The first Christian Church:

Acts 2:44-47 And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all [men], as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

If only our churches of today were more like it was in the beginning, none would be in need of anything and the Lord would add to His church body daily such as should be saved. Unfortunately in my humbled opinion more money is spent on the church's appearance in the sight of this world then on reaching out and touching the needy. Such as should be saved are those who are in need, they are broken by this world and their hearts are softened / opened and repentance (turning from this world toward GOD) will come quickly.

GOD wants our full devotion and HE is deserving of nothing less.

Further Study:

Matthew 19:23 - 24 / Mark 10: 25 / Luke 18: 25 / James 1:11
Luke 16:19 - 31, Psalms 1