Courts halt Presidential edict

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's still dozens of highly trained SEALS gone, but I suppose we shouldn't worry about silly things like national security when the Navy can just go recruit Bob off the street to fill those spots. Ability and skill is highly overrated after all.

Ability and skill are meaningless without respect for the chain of command.

The Navy of all people understand the danger of loose cannons, after all.

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

Parmallia

Nov 7, 2021
PNW
✟14,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
What Govts and Media Are Not Telling You About Vaccine Mandates - UncoverDC

It would be well for everyone to read the above link to see how inapplicable the 1905 Jacobson case is to the current Biden Regime mandate. The 1905 mandate was a LAW passed by the Massachusetts State legislature. The Biden OSHA mandate is pure fiat issued from the Biden regime abusing his executive authority and trampling on grounds reserved for the States. No legislative input at all.

And the court that upheld the fine actually issued this warning.

t might be that an acknowledged power of a local community to protect itself against an epidemic threatening the safety of all, might be exercised in particular circumstances and in reference to particular persons in such an arbitrary, unreasonable manner, or might go so far beyond what was reasonably required for the safety of the public, as to authorize or compel the courts to interfere for the protection of such persons.”

“Before closing this opinion, we deem it appropriate, in order to prevent misapprehension as to our views, to observe—perhaps to repeat a thought already sufficiently expressed, namely—that the police power of a State, whether exercised by the legislature or by a local body acting under its authority, may be exerted in such circumstances or by regulations so arbitrary and oppressive in particular cases as to justify the interference of the courts to prevent wrong and oppression.”

What about George Washington's vaccine mandate for the troops during the Revolutionary War?

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

eucatastrophe

Jun 5, 2018
NC
✟13,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about George Washington's vaccine mandate for the troops during the Revolutionary War?

What?? No vaccines existed in the 18th century. I suspect you are thinking about the time he administered small doses of small pox infected material to his troops in order to build up natural heard immunity. Absolutely irrelevant in any case...unless you are acknowledging that natural immunity is the only way out of a pandemic? (It is.)

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What Govts and Media Are Not Telling You About Vaccine Mandates - UncoverDC

It would be well for everyone to read the above link to see how inapplicable the 1905 Jacobson case is to the current Biden Regime mandate. The 1905 mandate was a LAW passed by the Massachusetts State legislature. The Biden OSHA mandate is pure fiat issued from the Biden regime abusing his executive authority and trampling on grounds reserved for the States. No legislative input at all.

And the court that upheld the fine actually issued this warning.

t might be that an acknowledged power of a local community to protect itself against an epidemic threatening the safety of all, might be exercised in particular circumstances and in reference to particular persons in such an arbitrary, unreasonable manner, or might go so far beyond what was reasonably required for the safety of the public, as to authorize or compel the courts to interfere for the protection of such persons.”

“Before closing this opinion, we deem it appropriate, in order to prevent misapprehension as to our views, to observe—perhaps to repeat a thought already sufficiently expressed, namely—that the police power of a State, whether exercised by the legislature or by a local body acting under its authority, may be exerted in such circumstances or by regulations so arbitrary and oppressive in particular cases as to justify the interference of the courts to prevent wrong and oppression.”
The legislature gave the presidency this power. Who do you think created OSHA?

This is why congress may wish to be more careful about how much power they sign away. They've created institutions that essentially do their job for them, but fall under executive power.

Upvote 0

Parmallia

Nov 7, 2021
PNW
✟14,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
What?? No vaccines existed in the 18th century.

Jenner's work on cowpox and smallpox was in the 18th century.

I suspect you are thinking about the time he administered small doses of small pox infected material to his troops in order to build up natural heard immunity. Absolutely irrelevant in any case...unless you are acknowledging that natural immunity is the only way out of a pandemic? (It is.)

It is not irrelevant because that is the definition of a vaccine.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟557,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Looks like a bunch of Navy Seals are suing the Biden Administration over the mandate.

Navy SEALs sue Biden administration over COVID mandate | FOX 28 Spokane

05onfire1_xp-facebookJumbo.jpg
These guys are supposed to defend the country with their lives and they won’t even take a simple vaccine?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
These guys are supposed to defend the country with their lives and they won’t even take a simple vaccine?

Part of defending the country is in upholding its principles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's still dozens of highly trained SEALS gone
That is too bad, but somehow I think we'll survive without them. Biggest shame is the money wasted on training them, but it's best to kick insubordinate soldiers out the door before they cause bigger problems for your chain of command.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,731,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That is too bad, but somehow I think we'll survive without them. Biggest shame is the money wasted on training them, but it's best to kick insubordinate soldiers out the door before they cause bigger problems for your chain of command.
It’s not insubordination when you disobey unlawful orders.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Meanwhile, it's not just presidential edicts getting struck down:

Judge rules Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's ban on school mask mandates violates federal law

A federal judge in Texas ruled Wednesday that Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order banning mask mandates in schools violates the Americans with Disabilities Act, setting the stage for school districts in the state to decide whether they want to impose mask rules.

U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel wrote in a 29-page ruling that the ADA, a federal law enacted in 1990, supersedes Abbott's July order banning facial coverings in schools.

Tyranny keep popping up; the judiciary keeps smacking it down... right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,731,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What makes the orders unlawful?
That’s going to depend on the order. And most likely will will result in a court marshal to determine if it’s lawful or not.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That’s going to depend on the order. And most likely will will result in a court marshal to determine if it’s lawful or not.
The order has already been given: all members of the military on active duty or ready reserve must be vaccinated against COVID-19.

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Aug/...-OF-DEPARTMENT-OF-DEFENSE-SERVICE-MEMBERS.PDF

It proceeds under the same guidelines as the existing military vaccine program - meaning that servicemembers who have "contraindications" (i.e. allergic reactions) are exempt, and that all existing administrative exceptions (which includes religious exemption) apply.

It should be noted that the process for obtaining a religious exemption from vaccination includes counseling from both doctors and command on the medical and career consequences of not being vaccinated. It seems that this counseling is what the SEALs are objecting to, calling it discrimination. Assuming that they do obtain a religious exemption, I see no indication that they will be court-martialed or discharged for not being vaccinated. However, they may be removed from Special Operator status - which I feel is reasonable. COVID is a threat to the readiness of our armed forces. Should our most elite soldiers be placed on active duty lacking full protection against it?

I will say that seeking the recovery of their training costs might be excessively punitive, but that's the only thing that stood out to me.

ETA: there may also be some legitimacy to the complaint that those who get medical exemptions will keep Special Operator status/pay while those who get religious exemptions won't, and it seems like some individual commanders may have taken things too far in trying to encourage their troops to get vaccinated. But I see no issue with the order itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The order has already been given: all members of the military on active duty or ready reserve must be vaccinated against COVID-19.

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Aug/...-OF-DEPARTMENT-OF-DEFENSE-SERVICE-MEMBERS.PDF

It proceeds under the same guidelines as the existing military vaccine program - meaning that servicemembers who have "contraindications" (i.e. allergic reactions) are exempt, and that all existing administrative exceptions (which includes religious exemption) apply.

It should be noted that the process for obtaining a religious exemption from vaccination includes counseling from both doctors and command on the medical and career consequences of not being vaccinated. It seems that this counseling is what the SEALs are objecting to, calling it discrimination. Assuming that they do obtain a religious exemption, I see no indication that they will be court-martialed or discharged for not being vaccinated. However, they may be removed from Special Operator status - which I feel is reasonable. COVID is a threat to the readiness of our armed forces. Should our most elite soldiers be placed on active duty lacking full protection against it?

I will say that seeking the recovery of their training costs might be excessively punitive, but that's the only thing that stood out to me.

ETA: there may also be some legitimacy to the complaint that those who get medical exemptions will keep Special Operator status/pay while those who get religious exemptions won't, and it seems like some individual commanders may have taken things too far in trying to encourage their troops to get vaccinated. But I see no issue with the order itself.

They've been denied their religious exemption and are now suing in Federal Court, that their religious rights have been violated. I would have to guess that the military's issue is that these Seals had never refused any previous vaccines based on religion (and the Seals would have had all the normal vaccines the military gives, plus "extra" vaccines due to some of the locations they could be deployed to); and these Seals never tried to adequately explain why this vaccine was against their religion while all the others were ok.

It will be interesting to see how the court decides but, based on what I've read and from my time in the military, I suspect the lawsuit will not end favorably for the Seals.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They've been denied their religious exemption and are now suing in Federal Court, that their religious rights have been violated. I would have to guess that the military's issue is that these Seals had never refused any previous vaccines based on religion (and the Seals would have had all the normal vaccines the military gives, plus "extra" vaccines due to some of the locations they could be deployed to); and these Seals never tried to adequately explain why this vaccine was against their religion while all the others were ok.

It will be interesting to see how the court decides but, based on what I've read and from my time in the military, I suspect the lawsuit will not end favorably for the Seals.
I've been trying to wade through the press coverage and spin on this, and it seems like there might be multiple cases, or at least some other potential cases that might come up. I agree that the ones suing over their religious exemptions being denied will probably fail for the reasons that you gave, but there are some other complaints (it's not clear whether or not these are tied to lawsuits) that look like they might have merit.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,731,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

The order for the so-called vaccine order will be challenged in court, most likely.

Upvote 0