Councils can err, councils have erred...

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't mean to imply that he was. Apologies if that's how my post read. I meant it quite literally and neutrally: I'd like to see his source on this, as I know the saint in question, but not the incident or quote he talks about in the video clip.
I wouldn't be surprised that if you left a comment in his video asking that or you emailed him, he'd get back to you.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am listening to it. Thanks for sharing! Lately I've been doing a lot of research on how Roman Catholic / Orthodox theology + practices grew in ancient times so find this video very helpful. A must-watch!

Interesting.....some of the church fathers also said there are no altars......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This was very interesting and pact with a lot of well studied historical documentation.

I've delved into some specific (mostly non-doctrine related) historical things about Roman Catholicism; but my knowledge of Eastern Orthodoxy is much more limited.

Thanks for sharing this. I've now subscribed to this guy's channel. This is the type of research on stuff I like to see!

:oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Looks like this was shared in a debate thread & the only counterargument is 'The council approved it.'
Yes and the Council was not considered Ecumenical for about 100 years. Luther and Calvin deal with all of this mumbo jumbo in their works so we shouldn't be surprised the RC/EO are still clinging to them.

Tradition can be a wicked master.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Another great presentation on the issues concerning images linked with the Councils. A big take away is the fallacious reasoning used to put away and ignore scripture to defend the veneration and worship of icons. The speakers will demonstrate from scripture there is no biblical distinction between veneration and worship.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Straining for a gnat it seems to me. I doubt that anyone worships an icon. They are merely visual aids to assist in prayer. They make for good meditation material just like all good art.
Big picture - COUNCILS MAKE MISTAKES. The council demands you worship the idol or your are anathema.

More than once I was told that Mary was a co-redemptrix. Does that mean Catholicism teaches that? (not yet) Nope. I had a Babushka tell me her Icon was her salvation, not Christ, the Icon...so yes, people do worship false idols.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Big picture - COUNCILS MAKE MISTAKES. The council demands you worship the idol or your are anathema.

More than once I was told that Mary was a co-redemptrix. Does that mean Catholicism teaches that? (not yet) Nope. I had a Babushka tell me her Icon was her salvation, not Christ, the Icon...so yes, people do worship false idols.
I'd have to ask her what she means by that.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There will always be outliers, guess. But what is the norm?
The problem is modern Roman Catholic and Orthodox professional apologists always, ALWAYS use the worst of Protestantism...which isn't a denomination by the way so their critiques are ridiculous.

Catholic Answers is the absolute worst at straight up misrepresenting confessional Protestantism.

• Winner
Upvote 0