Could Trump be our last president on the right?

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The values of the "old" Republican Party are still viable. Freed of its extremist religious entanglements it could re-emerge.

But how would they get people outside the 1% to vote against their economic best interests without pandering to their feelings about abortion, minorities and gay people?

• Winner
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But how would they get people outside the 1% to vote against their economic best interests without pandering to their feelings about abortion, minorities and gay people?
The neighborhood used to be just fine until the dixiecrats started moving in.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Quite wrong. If they are elected by the people, it is not a monarchy
For the record, I don't think I want any of his children to be president. Especially not Ivanka.
His children would likely be a step up from him.
Thankfully Donald is already old and frail.

If Trump were younger. I see the possibility for Trump to start up his own party and basically steal the Republican party base. But, he is too old for that. He will probably linger though, in the shadows, tweeting and such and continue being the leader to the resistance to government, to resistance to any measures to beat the pandemic etc.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Dark forecast.

What Trump makes me think of: how Israel was to suffer for their turning their hearts away from God and making their religion only an empty show and failing to do the central, key things the Lord wants from us:
Isaiah 1:17 learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause."

Since they refused, and made their religion just empty false show, He would bring punishment on the rebellious nation, including this way:
Isaiah 3:4 "I will make mere lads their leaders, and children will rule over them."
I really wish Christians would cease divining this nation’s future based on their religion’s past.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There will always be a left and a right. Gas and brakes. We need both.

But we dont need one of them to be crazy and cancerous., which is whats happening to the contemporary right. I predict that down the road, the right will return to conservatism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There will always be a left and a right. Gas and brakes. We need both.

We dont need one of them to be crazy and cancerous., which is whats happening to the contemporary right. I predict that down the road, the right will return to conservatism.

The parties will likely switch roles.

The Democrats will “conserve” the legacies of FDR, JFK/LBJ and BHO, and the GOP (or its successor) will become the “liberal” party, seeking new avenues to gain seats/power.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
His children would likely be a step up from him.

I don't know about that...

They seem to have most of their dad's bad traits (especially Don Jr) without any of what qualifies as his brand of charisma or hustle. I don't have much praise for Don Sr, but at least he's gone out and done some things in the world (successfully or not). They've done nothing but ride his coattails. His kids would have all his terrible policy ideas and most of his incompetence, but wrapped up in entitled, leachy milquetoast packages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know about that...

They seem to have most of their dad's bad traits (especially Don Jr) without any of what qualifies as his brand of charisma or hustle. I don't have much praise for Don Sr, but at least he's gone out and done some things in the world (successfully or not). They've done nothing but ride his coattails. His kids would have all his terrible policy ideas and most of his incompetence, but wrapped up in entitled, leachy milquetoast packages.
Of course the kids are unproven.. (my assumption is that pretty much anyone would be better than Donald).
Jr does come across on TV as being ridiculous. They are all publicly defending Trump and his absurdities.
I very much doubt Ivanka would have played down the pandemic and told people it would just go away, and that people need to liberate themselves from social distancing restrictions.
But who knows?
Ivanka would listen to the experts and not claim to know more than them (I assume).

I'm no fan of Ivanka, don't think she would be a competent president. But, I'm just saying I think she would be better than Donald. He sets a very low bar.
Donald would be better at being a shock radio jock, like Limbaugh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course the kids are unproven.. (my assumption is that pretty much anyone would be better than Donald).
Jr does come across on TV as being ridiculous. They are all publicly defending Trump and his absurdities.
I very much doubt Ivanka would have played down the pandemic and told people it would just go away, and that people need to liberate themselves from social distancing restrictions.
But who knows?
Ivanka would listen to the experts and not claim to know more than them (I assume).

I'm no fan of Ivanka, don't think she would be a competent president. But, I'm just saying I think she would be better than Donald. He sets a very low bar.
Donald would be better at being a shock radio jock, like Limbaugh.

Ivanka would certainly stand the best chance of behaving herself in public. Her husband seems to do well in that regard, too. And I don't get the conspiratorial vibe from them, but at the same time, the rumor going around is that some of the negligent response has been designed to let blue state look bad, and that Jared was part of it.

Don Jr is a clown.

Eric strikes me as being somewhere in the middle.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ivanka would certainly stand the best chance of behaving herself in public. Her husband seems to do well in that regard, too. And I don't get the conspiratorial vibe from them, but at the same time, the rumor going around is that some of the negligent response has been designed to let blue state look bad, and that Jared was part of it.

Don Jr is a clown.

Eric strikes me as being somewhere in the middle.
Oh, I don't like Kushner.
I've heard the "the negligent response has been designed to let blue state look bad". There may or may not have any truth to that. IDK.

I'm also wondering if Trump's strategy is to actually have the pandemic raging freely in USA during the election and have his base believe it to be either no worse than the flu or just a fake pandemic, so that they will be happy to turn up in person to vote, whereas the Democratic party supporters who are aware of the reality of the pandemic are trying very hard to social distance and so don't want to congregate in person at polling booths. Couple this with Trump's strategy of casting doubt on the legitimacy of mail-in voting and whatever means he may have to discard mailin votes, by disrupting the postal service or by getting his friend the AG to claim on the night that there is serious mail-in fraud occurring.

It's a very evil plan if it is true. It knowingly puts American citizens into a raging, uncontrolled, deadly pandemic, resulting in 10s if not 100's of thousands dead and many more with whatever side effects there are in having had the disease, all for the sake of increasing Donald Trump's re-election chances.
And coupled with purposeful and intentional voter suppression and damage to the integrity of the upcoming election process and basically destroying the USA democratic process. It's a very destructive way to retain power. I can understand why Trump and his family would go down this path, but I do struggle with how other long term Republicans would do this.

The above is so insidious, that I can understand how unbelievable it sounds, certainly most Trump supporters wouldn't believe this.
I hope it's not true.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I don't like Kushner.
I've heard the "the negligent response has been designed to let blue state look bad". There may or may not have any truth to that. IDK.

I'm also wondering if Trump's strategy is to actually have the pandemic raging freely in USA during the election and have his base believe it to be either no worse than the flu or just a fake pandemic, so that they will be happy to turn up in person to vote, whereas the Democratic party supporters who are aware of the reality of the pandemic are trying very hard to social distance and so don't want to congregate in person at polling booths. Couple this with Trump's strategy of casting doubt on the legitimacy of mail-in voting and whatever means he may have to discard mailin votes, by disrupting the postal service or by getting his friend the AG to claim on the night that there is serious mail-in fraud occurring.

It's a very evil plan if it is true. It knowingly puts American citizens into a raging, uncontrolled, deadly pandemic, resulting in 10s if not 100's of thousands dead and many more with whatever side effects there are in having had the disease, all for the sake of increasing Donald Trump's re-election chances.
And coupled with purposeful and intentional voter suppression and damage to the integrity of the upcoming election process and basically destroying the USA democratic process. It's a very destructive way to retain power. I can understand why Trump and his family would go down this path, but I do struggle with how other long term Republicans would do this.

The above is so insidious, that I can understand how unbelievable it sounds, certainly most Trump supporters wouldn't believe this.
I hope it's not true.
That's the kind of thing Caesar Nero would have done, burn down the city so he could buy the property at a discount.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He'll likely the be the last of his kind...the GOP has been due for some repackaging for quite some time.

If you looks at the trends on some of the key issues, the GOP is going to have to drop the "religious appeal" aspects of their policy package, and instead focus on the other issues that they may get more widespread agreement on.

On gay rights and marijuana...
331531_a07de331f50ff61b3791034739aa341f.png

On healthcare
331533_8a63353eb9370e093056247c5772dd24.png

On abortion
331444_bf2d20af560a8b979741c9886803d9a8.png

The data isn't trending in the right direction for them to maintain the status quo as more 65+ folks pass away, and more younger voters come up.

The kinds of things that appeal to conservatives in the upper 60's aren't the same kinds of things that appeal to more fiscal conservative/social libertarians that are in the 18-30 age range.

To put it in context, you're more likely to find a self-identified republican in 2020 who supports gay marriage, abortion, and marijuana legalization than would've been to find a democrat who supported those things in 1996. It's only a matter of time until that shift in mentality bleeds over into the way they vote.

Party loyalty has its limits...and I think it's safe to say that if it gets to the point where GOP politicians keep pushing for social policies that 60% of republicans don't want, you're going to have more and more "Lincoln Project" kinds of folks that start trying to intentionally help the other side simply for the purposes of giving their own party a chance to rebuild... or simply "unbuild" and go back to things that were actually their strong points.

What I suspect will happen is that the Trumps Cruzs Cottons will slowly fizzle out, and make way for the Larry Hogans and Charlie Bakers. Or, they'll gravitate toward someone who has a more unique message (and is willing to work with the other side on principled matters) like a Rand Paul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is wishful thinking. Trump is part of a broader movement, which see in the UK and various places in Europe. He's a populist, not a conervative. Populists don't need evangelical support to work. Nor, in my opinion, will it go away with one defeat. I'm not convinced that there are very many principled conservatives of the type you describe. There are a few in this discussion, but I think populism is more popular.

There is also the issue that apparently, hispanics are joining the ranks of evangelicalism to fill the ranks of whites that die or leave it. Sure, the moral credibility of evangelicals have taken a serious blow due to Trump, but that's nothing that a slick public relations campaign can't fix.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is also the issue that apparently, hispanics are joining the ranks of evangelicalism to fill the ranks of whites that die or leave it. Sure, the moral credibility of evangelicals have taken a serious blow due to Trump, but that's nothing that a slick public relations campaign can't fix.

It depends on the kind of evangelical.

You have folks like my parents, who openly admit they hate Trump, but feel like they're "doing their duty" by begrudgingly casting a vote for whatever candidate claims to be against abortion and LGBT.

There's been a lot of, let's say, mental conditioning that's been going on in certain denominations of Christianity...where, a person could literally club baby seals for sport, and dump toxic waste in lake Erie, and as long as they claim to be against the LGBT movement and abortion, they'll be viewed as the "lesser evil" no matter what.

While Christianity (and the bible) in and of itself is against things like abortion and LGBT, certain denominations have done a better job than others of prioritizing where those things fall on the "importance meter", while others have taken the approach of creating the mentality "those two things are super-sins, worse than all other sins, so opposing those two things, in particular, is your primary objective regardless of any other factors or wrong doing".

That's how you end up with people thinking that the gay couple down the street getting a marriage license is somehow a bigger threat to society than water pollution.

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or when will the leftists take complete control of the united states ending the right?

It’ll be difficult for the GOP to move past Trump. A lot of their base will expect them to front someone equally bizarre.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It’ll be difficult for the GOP to move past Trump. A lot of their base will expect them to from someone equally bizarre.
I think it's easier for an establishment Republican to clown around and dog whistle the extreme than it would be for the party to control a legitimately out there candidate like Trump.

I think they know the sort of persona that motivates and expands their base... I suspect we'll see more of this.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Quite wrong. If they are elected by the people, it is not a monarchy
For the record, I don't think I want any of his children to be president. Especially not Ivanka.
Why especially not Ivanka?

Upvote 0