Could Trump be our last president on the right?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I certainly hope that the Republican Party can pull itself back together after Trump, so that I can go back to thinking of it as the party for political conservatives, rather than the party for fans of crazy conspiracy theories.
My worry is that the leaders who could do that have left.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My worry is that the leaders who could do that have left.

It would seem that way in the GOP. The remaining 'leaders' don't really seem like leaders at all. Some are clearly in the thrall of Trump, but most are probably just craven politicians either using Trump base of supporters for their own purposes or are too scared of the backlash from Trump's core supporters if they speak out.

Their will be *a lot* of repositioning once he loses. It should be quite the show. There have been some minor repositioning among current politicians, but not much yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just set yourself free.
upload_2020-9-28_21-6-22.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I bet that Trump will be our last real president. Yes.
Dark forecast.

What Trump makes me think of: how Israel was to suffer for their turning their hearts away from God and making their religion only an empty show and failing to do the central, key things the Lord wants from us:
Isaiah 1:17 learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause."

Since they refused, and made their religion just empty false show, He would bring punishment on the rebellious nation, including this way:
Isaiah 3:4 "I will make mere lads their leaders, and children will rule over them."

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Trump won't be the last president on the right. They'll always be a "right" on the political spectrum. (And, no, Biden winning won't end free elections.)

Trump *could* be the last *Republican* president. I certainly see possible outcomes that result in the Republican Party either shattering or becoming a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] party consisting of the strongest MAGA adherents while the rest of the conservative movement decides to go their own way and end up in a new conservative party.
Honestly, if the Republicans were able to survive Hoover, I expect they can survive Trump.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,811.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Republican Party will have to move towards the center to have any reasonable chance of winning future elections.

Trump's campaign strategy--telling white people they have good genes and that he will keep blacks out of their suburbs and immigrants out of their country--won't work. His strategy for youth--having said that people earn "too much" and attacking Social Security, Medicare, universal health care, labor unions; having a Secretary of Education who has financial interests in student loan companies and is demanding students' pounds of flesh even when their schools go out of business or fail to live up to their responsibilities.

Young people don't want to be hanging on by their fingernails as income inequality squashes their dreams. They don't want Trump's social conservatism (i.e. do as Trump says, not as he does.) They don't want fossil fuels, air and water pollution, climactic disasters like forest fires and hurricanes.

The Republicans have had a strategy. Voter suppression. Gerrymandering. Trump's traveling road show shouting gloom and doom.

If Biden wins, as predicted, he will encourage voting. More votes help Democrats. And as time goes on there will be too many blacks, immigrants, and young people for the Republicans to win elections on hate, division, and an anti-millenial agenda.

So yes, Republicans will survive. They will be more centrist, like Republicans of old I admired---Jacob Javits, John Danforth, Nelson Rockefeller. Democrats will also become more progressive, more like Sanders and AOC.

Or we could stick with the current Republicans and watch as Miami goes underwater.

Upvote 0