Could God appear in another form in another universe?

sk3ptic

Oct 14, 2011
Yorkshire, UK
Visit site
✟15,140.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
According to Christians, the Bible is/or is inspired by the Word of God and God created a son 'Jesus' (who was part of himself) to live in human form on earth.

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." [John 1:14 NIV UK]

If God managed to send his Word to humans (it being written in the Bible) and sent his only son to earth to convince humans of His existance and to save them from their sins, would you believe (as a Christian) that as God exists and is Lord over all space, time and existance, that he would have 'made contact' in the same way he did on earth (with the Bible and with his son) with another universe if life existed on it?

Now, I personally think that when a lot of people go on talking about alien life, their ideas can be a bit far fetched - I think 'life' in another world or planet could be anything from small plantlife upwards (not necessarily more complex and intellegent than humans) - but if there was a species on another planet or in another universe with similar capabilities to humans, would it be necessary for God to send himself down in another form (like Jesus) and have them be sacrificed for their sins (because of course they would have never known Jesus)?

Forge3

Forge
Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
✟13,441.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is in the realm of possibilities imo; that there are myriads of beings and being that there is one God, God communicates to all creatures in His own fashion. The question, and this is a philosophical one of course, is would this change the Word as it has been revealed to us if so.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to Christians, the Bible is/or is inspired by the Word of God and God created a son 'Jesus' (who was part of himself) to live in human form on earth.

It's a falsehood to state that the Son of G-d "was part of Himself."

If God managed to send his Word to humans (it being written in the Bible) and sent his only son to earth to convince humans of His existance

Nowhere are we told that Jesus' purpose was to convince anyone of God's existence. We are told He was "sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel," which would mean only to people who knew of G-d's existence with 100% assurance.

would you believe (as a Christian) that as God exists and is Lord over all space, time and existance, that he would have 'made contact' in the same way he did on earth (with the Bible and with his son) with another universe if life existed on it?

2 separate questions: one is merely another world in this Universe, the other is, "another Universe." The latter implies all rules including the laws of science could be completely different. Which means G-d could do whatever He wants! The only exception is, He Himself would remain unchanged. And yet, what these hypothetical creatures might know and perceive of Him could be altogether unknown to us. (It's entirely possible that in the next life, we'll see such things unfold, and that some of us may have a significant hand in it)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Actually no. Orthodox Christianity asserts that the Son is uncreated, and that the Son, because He is of the Father's nature and essence, is God even as the Father is God. Jesus is the Son/Word made flesh, united to human nature as a human person.

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." [John 1:14 NIV UK]

If God managed to send his Word to humans (it being written in the Bible) and sent his only son to earth to convince humans of His existance and to save them from their sins, would you believe (as a Christian) that as God exists and is Lord over all space, time and existance, that he would have 'made contact' in the same way he did on earth (with the Bible and with his son) with another universe if life existed on it?

Now, I personally think that when a lot of people go on talking about alien life, their ideas can be a bit far fetched - I think 'life' in another world or planet could be anything from small plantlife upwards (not necessarily more complex and intellegent than humans) - but if there was a species on another planet or in another universe with similar capabilities to humans, would it be necessary for God to send himself down in another form (like Jesus) and have them be sacrificed for their sins (because of course they would have never known Jesus)?

The question is simply unanswerable, at least until we actually engage in some form of communication with intelligent, sapient, non-terrestrial life.

If I had to speculate it would be that assuming an indefinite number of worlds and/or universes with sapient existence, that anything transpiring there analogous to the Incarnation as believed here, it would in some sense be part of the same event.

To explain the idea I'm putting forth, imagine a single beam of light refracting through a prism, the single ray of light is split. One beam, one prism, one "event" but experienced as multiple instances. Or take a hall of mirrors, one object reflected again and again and again. In that sense, in this bout of theological speculation, I'm suggesting one Event, one Incarnation, one Jesus, but happening in many ways and many instances in a many-world/multiverse scenario.

Again, that's if I were to put forth pure speculation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sk3ptic

Oct 14, 2011
Yorkshire, UK
Visit site
✟15,140.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
2 separate questions: one is merely another world in this Universe, the other is, "another Universe." The latter implies all rules including the laws of science could be completely different. Which means G-d could do whatever He wants! The only exception is, He Himself would remain unchanged. And yet, what these hypothetical creatures might know and perceive of Him could be altogether unknown to us. (It's entirely possible that in the next life, we'll see such things unfold, and that some of us may have a significant hand in it)

I'm not sure if you've understood my question.
Say if there was another planet a billion miles away or more from Earth, and there was life on it that was comparable to humans in intellegance, would God let them know of his existance and of his Word (obviously they may not know of Earth and of what his Word was written in the Bible) and as they would have never known of Jesus, would God have to send another 'son' down to them to save them from their sins?

I just think its very egotistical of us humans to think that we are the most important and powerful when it comes to beings (apart from God if you believe in him), what about all the other creatures on earth, or if there were creatures on another planet or another universe comparable to us?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if you've understood my question.
Say if there was another planet a billion miles away or more from Earth, and there was life on it that was comparable to humans in intellegance, would God let them know of his existance and of his Word

Sure I understood your question, and I pointed out this is entirely different from your original question.

would God have to send another 'son' down to them to save them from their sins?

What if there was no sin?

I just think its very egotistical of us humans to think that we are the most important and powerful when it comes to beings

Well then you'll be glad to know the Bible explicitly tells us we are NOT!

what about all the other creatures on earth

The Bible specifically tells us G-d "gave us dominion" over them, which we are finally starting to employ. You can now cause the deadliest of sharks to turn away before either of you get hurt, but how long ago was the first lion tamer? ;)

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God managed to send his Word to humans (it being written in the Bible) and sent his only son to earth to convince humans of His existence and to save them from their sins, would you believe (as a Christian) that as God exists and is Lord over all space, time and existence, that he would have 'made contact' in the same way he did on earth (with the Bible and with his son) with another universe if life existed on it?
This challenge presupposes two unfounded things. 1) That the rest of creation (beings) were created in His image as well, and 2) that they too fell from grace. Otherwise what would be the point?

Now, I personally think that when a lot of people go on talking about alien life, their ideas can be a bit far fetched - I think 'life' in another world or planet could be anything from small plant life up wards (not necessarily more complex and intelligent than humans) - but if there was a species on another planet or in another universe with similar capabilities to humans, would it be necessary for God to send himself down in another form (like Jesus) and have them be sacrificed for their sins (because of course they would have never known Jesus)?
If there was not a fall from Grace then His presents is known, that is IF they were ever meant to know God as we do.. Example look at the other life here on earth. What other species knows of God as we do? Why do you assume that this fact would not carry of this world?

Upvote 0