Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
I am somewhat surprised at what you said above, since it has been my experience that the Copts and other Non-Chalcedonians are very active in the ecumenical movement, especially under the auspices of the WCC.
More or less than the Orthodox?

I have the impression that those who cavort with the WCC are not necessarily representative of the rank-and-file (whether Orthodox or Copt).

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Vasya Davidovich said:
More or less than the Orthodox?

I have the impression that those who cavort with the WCC are not necessarily representative of the rank-and-file (whether Orthodox or Copt).

Coptic Pope Shenouda III seems to be pretty active in that regard, and the Copts revere him. Other Non-Chalcedonians are involved, as well.

It is our great shame that some Orthodox hierarchs still think the worldwide ecumenical movement is a good thing.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
Tattoos aren't worth arguing about.

You win! ;)
What else isn't worth arguing about? I want to win in those subjects too!

But, seriously, how do you determine whether something is worth arguing or not? Is the topic of beards worthy of debate? Or do you debate only those topics that pertain directly to salvation?

Vasya.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Vasya Davidovich said:
What else isn't worth arguing about? I want to win in those subjects too!

But, seriously, how do you determine whether something is worth arguing or not? Is the topic of beards worthy of debate? Or do you debate only those topics that pertain directly to salvation?

Vasya.

If it is something covered by a dogmatic decree of an ecumenical council, something consistently taught by the Church, then it is worth arguing about.

Beards aren't worth arguing about unless someone wants to deny us the right to grow and wear them (or until women start wanting them for themselves).

I have a tattoo on my right shoulder (lateral deltoid). It is an Orthodox three-bar cross inside a budded cross with IC inside the right arm of the budded cross and XC on the left. I believe that form is known as "St. Olga's Cross."

I decided to get the tattoo and had it done at a time when I had the flu and a high fever. I was also probably suffering from a bout of depression, but that's another story. Let's just say I wasn't thinking clearly.

I've never considered the tattoo a sin. I consider it a near-permanent reminder of my own poor judgment, especially when laboring at a body temp of 102 F.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
If it is something covered by a dogmatic decree of an ecumenical council, something consistently taught by the Church, then it is worth arguing about.

Beards aren't worth arguing about unless someone wants to deny us the right to grow and wear them (or until women start wanting them for themselves).

I have a tattoo on my right shoulder (lateral deltoid). It is an Orthodox three-bar cross inside a budded cross with IC inside the right arm of the budded cross and XC on the left. I believe that form is known as "St. Olga's Cross."

I decided to get the tattoo and had it done at a time when I had the flu and a high fever. I was also probably suffering from a bout of depression, but that's another story. Let's just say I wasn't thinking clearly.

I've never considered the tattoo a sin. I consider it a near-permanent reminder of my own poor judgment, especially when laboring at a body temp of 102 F.
In general, I figure that things are worth arguing about if they typify or exemplify ways in which the Church is becoming like the world.

I try to fight compromise on all fronts.

In my case, I also have a tattoo - on my right upper arm. It is a budded cross... the name escapes me. When I got the tattoo, I was depressed, and definitely not thinking clearly. No question about that. And it is, I agree, a permanent reminder of my poor judgement (or idiocy, as I would put it).

However, I am also convinced that it is a sin. I do not judge my tattooed brother or my tattooed sister, but if anyone asks me, I tell them a) that it is a sin, and b) why it is.

But let's face it, Maximus. There are many sins. I do not see it as being a greater sin than envy (as transient as that sin is), nor do I see it as being less sinful than envy, for all sin is ugly in God's sight (He is merciful to us in the face of it anyway).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.