Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi I'm part of planting a new church in Preston this September. One problem, we dont have a name yet!

We want something a bit different, thats simple, not religious and resonate well with the unchurch. We want something quite funky too!!

Has anyone got an ideas?

Hexa

Jan 19, 2006
✟16,367.00
Faith
Protestant
Im sure there is reasons behind it, but why do you want it to be not religous? Are you ashamed to be a church, and want a funky name, so that when your none Christian mates ask you what your doing on Sunday, you can say I'm off to "The Cribb" instead of having to be embaressed to admit that your going to church?

Like I say, I'm sure theres a good reason, like you want it to be a place where "normal" people will go, because you have conducted a survey of 100 none Christians, and each of them said the only reason why they dont go to church is because of the name church, and if the church had a funky name, such as "Raymonds Glitter Disco" theyd all be Born again Christians and on fire for God converting a million people every minute.

Upvote 0

Steve_SandbachBaptist_UK

Jun 3, 2004
Cheshire
Visit site
✟11,293.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can't beat a bit of Yorkshire straight talking...

Seriously, I actually think a lot of churches do have boring or traditionalist-sounding names (Sandbach Baptist Church sounds conservative, which it is to some extent). A better name may and I repeat may prove useful in attracting people to the church.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Good question!

Often, it happens when an existing congregation grows beyond its space and time. Research says that once you fill 80% of your seats, your congregation will stop growing. At this point, it's time to add a new congregation, either as a new service time, or in a new place. What you would do is get a large group (with their core set of time, talents, and money) of your existing church to move to the new church, as well as a pastor.

Upvote 0

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Im sure there is reasons behind it, but why do you want it to be not religous? Are you ashamed to be a church, and want a funky name, so that when your none Christian mates ask you what your doing on Sunday, you can say I'm off to "The Cribb" instead of having to be embaressed to admit that your going to church?

Like I say, I'm sure theres a good reason, like you want it to be a place where "normal" people will go, because you have conducted a survey of 100 none Christians, and each of them said the only reason why they dont go to church is because of the name church, and if the church had a funky name, such as "Raymonds Glitter Disco" theyd all be Born again Christians and on fire for God converting a million people every minute.

we are definately not ashamed to be a church. in fact i think we want the word 'church' in the name. We just want to avoid Christian jargon and have something that non-Christians can relate to. For example calling ourselves Convenant Christian Fellowship will confuse most people as they wont know what Convenant or Fellowship mean. But if we called ourselves Hope Church, everyone has an idea as what 'hope' means. Its a biblical word, yet also a mainstream word.

We dont want a trendy name simply for the sake of it. we just want something fresh and clear that will speak to a wide range of people, and we're not particulary targeting 'youth'.
We dont want a name that is 'too' trendy!

Upvote 0

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Good question!

Often, it happens when an existing congregation grows beyond its space and time. Research says that once you fill 80% of your seats, your congregation will stop growing. At this point, it's time to add a new congregation, either as a new service time, or in a new place. What you would do is get a large group (with their core set of time, talents, and money) of your existing church to move to the new church, as well as a pastor.

we're planting out from a much bigger church in a neighbouring town. (southport) We've have prophetic words for years about starting something new in Preston, and recently our southport congregation has a sudden burst of growth. (including 23 people come to Christ)

so we need to plant out anyhow

Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's a bit difficult to come up with a name which gives a good idea of what the church is all about without knowing more. The avoidance of religious jargon and wish for it to be "funky" tell me it's not a staid, traditionalist church with blue rinsed grannies sitting in pews and singing hymn number 221, but if you want the name to be a "hook" you need to work out what makes your church different from the many which are already in Preston.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InnocentOdion

Seeker
Feb 2, 2006
✟11,136.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
Hi I'm part of planting a new church in Preston this September. One problem, we dont have a name yet!

We want something a bit different, thats simple, not religious and resonate well with the unchurch. We want something quite funky too!!

Has anyone got an ideas?
Erm...

Fresh Start or New Life, All Welcome

...or something like that? I'm not good with names, but it depends what kind of denomination and what kind of music it does-hymns versus "happy clappy gospel". :) Tell us more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums