✟7,738.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Hello my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I have a non-christian friend, who wants to convert, but his mother (an Atheist) and his grandmother (a catholic) don't want him to convert. He started asking me question about Jesus, differences between catholic, protestant and orthodox since September. We read a few bible chapters and the next day at school he tells me; he told his grandma and then she bursted into tears of sadness/disappointment, for some reason. I thought she would be excited, that her grandson wanted to follow the true saviour Jesus Christ, but she wasn't. I need some help now, because he wants to convert but his family doesn't. What should i do? I thought showing him about the Christians in North Korea, or the ones who lived during the rule of emperor Nero.

Thank you all for reading!

Reactions: St_Worm2

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Not sure what you mean by convert. Jesus came to make God's free gift of Eternal Life available to anyone who wants it. By faith in Him (Jesus) the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @commrad kuzon, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

I think that the reason for your friend's mother's disappointment seems obvious enough, and while his grandmother's tears may seem odd to you, they probably aren't (she is most likely at or near my age, and when we grew up, Roman Catholics, the VAST majority of both their clergy and laity, that is, believed that salvation was IMPOSSIBLE outside of the Roman Catholic Church).

See: Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus - Wikipedia

As far as "what to do" now, just keep telling him who the Lord Jesus Christ is, and why he needs Him to be both his Saviour and his Lord/why he needs to come to saving faith in Him. BTW, praying regularly for his salvation (and for the Lord's help in witnessing to him) is something that you could begin to do immediately :)

Praying for him (and you too)!

God bless you!! (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

--David
p.s. - along with sharing what the Lord Jesus and the Christian faith have meant (and continue to mean) to you, personally, you might want to ask your friend some leading questions (rather than just giving him "the facts") to consider. This will help him work through all of this and will allow him to come to his own conclusions (about the Christian faith, about the Lord Jesus, and about why he needs Him as his Saviour & Lord).

This book can be very helpful with this (asking leading questions, that is) if you don't feel comfortable doing so:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hold old is he? If he is of age what he does is his responsibility.
I would suggest looking up the christianityexplored web site for churches in your area running this course and you both sign up for it.
Or you start attending one of the churches that run theses courses.

Showing him information about persecuted Christians isn't necessary, rather he needs to investigate Christianity.

Upvote 0