Apr 2, 2010
Chicago, IL
✟7,731.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Its different for every church. We do not have a catechism. For some it takes years, for others months. Go to a church and talk to the priest about it.

May God Bless your journey into his church.
It's not for me. I have no interests in joining the
Orthodox faith personally. I'm just a student of religion
and recently have noticed that Catholics ask adult
converters to their faith to take a long period of time
of study before baptism.

I'm just a tolerant, seeking, student of all religions.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Entrance into the Orthodox Church is seen as a permanent decision, and as such, inquiring adults are not granted instant access to the life of the Church when they may not yet comprehend what they're getting themselves into, so to speak. It is for the good of the person's soul for them to submit to a process of inquiry and then a "catechumenate" period when they are instructed in the Faith before being brought into the full life of the Church. For some it's a matter of months, for others, years. It's at the discretion of the person's priest and the priest's bishop how long it should take.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Its different for every church. We do not have a catechism. For some it takes years, for others months. Go to a church and talk to the priest about it.

May God Bless your journey into his church.

This should be changed to "it's different for every individual." Also, there is only ONE Church, which is made of many parishes. :)

It is for the Bishop and the individual's Spiritual Father to determine how long a person should be a catechized before being received into the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

Lucysmom

Jan 17, 2010
✟7,720.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm just a student of religion
and recently have noticed that Catholics ask adult
converters to their faith to take a long period of time
of study before baptism.

I'm a convert myself. I didn't have to get rebaptized to be joined into the Orthodox church. The creed says we "believe in one baptism for the remission of sins". My spiritual father said as long as my baptism was in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit :crosseo: it was valid. What we study for is Chrismation. I actually went through the chatechism twice. My sf said I was ready after the first time, but something just didn't feel right. Praise God I waited :crosseo: because He brought my atheist husband into the Church the second time around. All in all I think it was about a year or so. Good things come to those who wait.

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Before conversion to the Orthodox Church I held the Protestant view of theology and somehow accept the Catholic view of acceptance of the Pope in Catholicism. After some time - After few years I began to accept the view of the Orthodox Church concerning the Pope and the Ecumenical Patriarch. Much like Liturgy at St. Georges' Cathedral in Turkey.

Upvote 0