Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I will be starting my baptism class on September 24. I used to be a protestant but I have been attending the catholic church since December of 2018. What led me to the catholic church? It was my gut feeling. I went with my gut. Something about Protestantism was really bothering me so my gut was telling me to check out the catholic church. Then after doing my own research, I realized that I was living in invincible ignorance and found the true church that Jesus created.

Upvote 0

BroIgnatius

Deliverance Counselor, Apologist, Spiritual Dir
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Just outside the State of Grace
Visit site
✟136,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Congrats Johnny. If I can be any help with your transition, let me know. I am a convert in 1992. I was Baptist clergy for 15 years or so. Mostly Southern Baptist.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Congrats Johnny. If I can be any help with your transition, let me know. I am a convert in 1992. I was Baptist clergy for 15 years or so. Mostly Southern Baptist.

Hello and thank you! I do have one question about my transition. In respect to salvation. How are the Catholics saved? I know that most protestants believe they are saved for eternity after reciting a prayer which is problematic because that is not what the early church fathers taught. Since I am no longer a protestant, I would like to know how Catholics become saved. I heard a catholic priest say that living in virtue is our assurance of salvation. Can you give me some catholic insight?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BroIgnatius

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
✟136,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said that one must be baptized in water and spirit to be saved. The New Testament was written by Catholics under the inspiration of God. What Jesus says here is clear. Baptism is a Sacrament of initiation into the Kingdom of God. If one is not validly baptized, then they are not Christian.

So it begins with baptism. As a convert from Protestantism you probably already have a valid baptism, which makes you Christian.

Now to the famous false differences between St. Paul who said we are not saved by works, but by grace through faith (the word "alone" is not in the Pauline passage), and St. James who said that salvation is NOT by faith alone (the only time the words "faith" and "alone" come together).

St. Paul was talking about the works of the law. In other words, we are not saved by merely following the rules.

St. James was talking about the works of love. If we do not show our faith in love, that is, acts of love, then our faith is dead, St. James tells us. If our faith is dead, then we have no faith. Then, we go back to St. Paul. If we have no faith then we are not accepting God's grace through which we have salvation.

Now with that said, a Catholic, and all Christians are saved by baptism and by the profession of their mouth to believe that Jesus is God who came to us as a human, to die on the Cross, to take the penalty that is due to us upon himself. Thus, opening the door to our salvation.

I am being saved daily through Jesus in the Eucharist and in my faith as I live out my life in love.

I will be saved in the end when I die in a state of grace.

The key to salvation is to remain in God's friendship. That means when live a life in love. When we commit venial sin (a misdemeanor), we ask God for forgiveness and do some act of love. This rids us of the venial sin that short-circuited our relationship with God.

When we commit a grave sin (a felony), we have severed our relationship with God. Because we had to come to God through the Church in the first place, we must come back to the Church to reconcile ourselves to God and his Church. This is he Sacrament of Confession.

Our ultimate salvation comes in how we die. If we die with unrepentant mortal sin on our soul, we send ourselves to hell. If we die in a state of grace, we go to heaven.

Does any of that help?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I attended my first baptism class. Half the people in my class are Catholic converts. The lead instructor said that it will take 18 months for us to receive the baptism of water. But in the meantime, we have obtained the baptism of blood and baptism of desire by our catholic church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BroIgnatius

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
✟136,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I attended my first baptism class. Half the people in my class are Catholic converts. The lead instructor said that it will take 18 months for us to receive the baptism of water. But in the meantime, we have obtained the baptism of blood and baptism of desire by our catholic church.

Baptism of blood requires that you are killed for the faith (a martyr). Baptism by Desire is the one that applies to catechumens.

But, eighteen months? That is very rare!!! RCIA is usually from August or September to the following Easter Vigil, around eight months.

What was you parish expecting, a college degree before you received the Sacrament of Baptism? Not joking. 18 months is about the time for an Associate Degree.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
But, eighteen months?

I e-mailed my instructor this morning and she replied it was 18 months for our parish. I am very sad but she said each parish is different. She said the good news is that I have the desire to get baptized by the catholic church and I will be doing the rite of acceptance in November. My first baptism at the protestant church was not considered valid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BroIgnatius

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
✟136,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Well, if that is what they do, that's what they do. As I said, such a length is very rare.

In any regard, it is worth the wait, whether 8 months or 18 months. You will never regret it.

Welcome to the Church.

Upvote 0

PJ76

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2019
Corona
✟59,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
In any regard, it is worth the wait, whether 8 months or 18 months. You will never regret it. Welcome to the Church.

Thanks! I should have applied sooner. If I knew it was going to be a 18 month baptism class, I would have applied in December.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deus Vult!

Dec 18, 2019
Heavenly Jerusalem
✟120,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes I converted to Catholicism as well, baptized a Lutheran when I was very young, I think I was 6 at the time. Grew up with my mother who was a protestant, over the years experienced first hand the smorgasbord of Christian beliefs. Side note - I grew up in Texas and attended a "mega church" of sorts in the Dallas area, kid you not the pastor drove a Ferrari up onto the stage. I am sure he tacked on a good message about not chasing earthly riches or whatever, but come on. Never knew anything about Catholicism really. I began studying the Bible with a fresh set of eyes in 2013, and began in Genesis 1:1. I continued reading I think until I got through Isaiah and was so excited to read the New Testament I skipped ahead to it. Just being honest.
And in 2014 everything changed. I believed for the first time in my life that Jesus was there in the consecrated bread and wine. It was not an immediate realization understanding of what communion was exactly, but I believed that Jesus was there. I had never received it but Jesus said to do it and I wanted to follow his command. To make a long story short I would say Catholicism found me. I believe in Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. This belief compelled to convert.

Upvote 0

MyCatholicLife03

Nov 18, 2019
North Texas
✟12,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay so I will jump right on in...

I am a Catholic Convert..
I was a Baptist for 22 years, before that I never went to Church, I was not raised going to church ,and my family was not religious..
Only when My Son was born that my life turned around.
I was a sinner saved by the Grace of God, I did things in my past I was not happy with and today thinking about them makes me sick to my stomach..
I grew up in an abusive home and well basically I hated the world, even after I got married I had this HUGE chip on my shoulders, I could not trust NO ONE, the first few years of my marriage I did not even trust my own husband. I loved him but not trust him..
Only when my Son as born that things changed...I let My Heavenly Father into my life..
When I was Baptized into the Baptist Faith after a few years I felt miserable, empty,in complete until one day I turned on the TV and there she was...
Mother Angelica,I was fixing to change the channel but there was something about her that made me stop dead in my tracks, and put the remote down..
As I watched her more and more I was so FULL of FATHER ,took my breath away..so I started watching more, then one day I finally got the courage up enough to talk to my Husband,(He is still Baptist) and to my surprise son and I had his support, so I started the Rosary, reading everything I could, We started RCIA with MUCH excitement...

Then this past Easter 2019 for me August 2019 for Son we were finally Home totally as we say...
To me the richness of the Catholic faith and the joy it brings to my life isn’t something I can begin to tackle in the length of a blog post. But knowing that Son and I are beginning the same journey thrills me.

Us converting to Catholic have not just switched our denominations, We ARE coming face-to-face with Jesus as part of a community that stretches across the globe and into heaven. A community that goes back more than 2,000 years, unbroken. And Christ himself has promised that the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

I think that’s something to celebrate and to all new converts, I rejoice with you!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay so I will jump right on in...

I was a Baptist for 22 years, before that I never went to Church, I was not raised going to church ,and my family was not religious..
I was a sinner saved by the Grace of God, I did things in my past I was not happy with and today thinking about them makes me sick to my stomach..
I grew up in an abusive home and well basically I hated the world, even after I got married I had this HUGE chip on my shoulders, I could not trust NO ONE, the first few years of my marriage I did not even trust my own husband. I loved him but not trust him..
Only when my Son as born that things changed...I let My Heavenly Father into my life..
When I was Baptized into the Baptist Faith after a few years I felt miserable, empty,in complete until one day I turned on the TV and there she was...
Mother Angelica,I was fixing to change the channel but there was something about her that made me stop dead in my tracks, and put the remote down..
As I watched her more and more I was so FULL of FATHER ,took my breath away..so I started watching more, then one day I finally got the courage up enough to talk to my Husband,(He is still Baptist) and to my surprise son and I had his support, so I started the Rosary, reading everything I could, We started RCIA with MUCH excitement...

Then this past Easter 2019 for me August 2019 for Son we were finally Home totally as we say...
To me the richness of the Catholic faith and the joy it brings to my life isn’t something I can begin to tackle in the length of a blog post. But knowing that Son and I are beginning the same journey thrills me.

Us converting to Catholic have not just switched our denominations, We ARE coming face-to-face with Jesus as part of a community that stretches across the globe and into heaven. A community that goes back more than 2,000 years, unbroken. And Christ himself has promised that the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

I think that’s something to celebrate and to all new converts, I rejoice with you!
Thank you so much for your testimony. :) Mother Angelica has brought so many into the Church. It’s amazing!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My conversion to the Catholic Church was in 2000, when JPII opened the Golden Doors. I had been praying the Rosary (Dominican) for about 3 years before, as a confirmed Episcopalian. I've always thought that Mary is the reason I came closer to her Son. I stayed for 20 years, however after reading numerous histories of the primitive Christian church I realized that the Roman Catholic Church had somewhat lost her way after some centuries. I've since been back at the Anglican Church, having learned more and developed more spiritually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

MyCatholicLife03

Nov 18, 2019
North Texas
✟12,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Out of interest, is there anybody here that has converted to Catholicism?

Only when my Son as born that things changed…I let My Heavenly Father into my life..

When I was Baptized into the Baptist Faith after a few years I felt miserable, empty,in complete until one day I turned on the TV and there she was…

As I watched her more and more I was so FULL of FATHER ,took my breath away..so I started watching more, then one day I finally got the courage up enough to talk to my Husband,(He is still Baptist) and to my surprise son and I had his support, so I started the Rosary, reading everything I could, We started RCIA with MUCH excitement…

Then this past Easter 2019 for me August 2019 for Son we were finally Home totally as we say…

Upvote 0

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟49,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all. :wave: I am a recent convert after completing RCIA this past year. I was confirmed in the Church in August at my beloved local parish. What an indescribable blessing it has been to join the Church. I finally found my spiritual home. I never knew my heart could fill so full with Christ. I feel like I wandered around for years, feeling like I was missing part of the picture in my Christian faith, like somewhere, there were more answers. And God led me home! I know my family and husband don't quite understand my journey, but they are still supportive. I quoted my intro post below with my journey.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. It's nice to meet all of you. :)

Also, funny thing: My church sang "One Bread, One Body" at the first Mass I attended. And I immediately thought of this forum.

Hi! I have been lurking for a couple years and I finally got some time to make a handle and say hello.:wave:

The short version of my Christian youth:
Baptized Episcopal (infant)
Lutheran upbringing (ALC I think? Until the ELCA)
Then attended many other denominations with my family until adulthood (Nazarene, Presbyterian, Four Square, non-denoms, probably a few others)

I stopped attending any church in young adulthood. Part of this was due to my career and always having to work on Sundays. Part of it was also not feeling at home in any of the later churches we attended. I thought maybe church was just not for me. I drifted from God, although not completely, and dug into my career, which was unfulfilling despite success. My career also introduced me to people from around the world in nearly every major religion. I studied world religions, looking for truth, trying to make sense of it all. For a while I began to consider universalism and I even visited a Unitarian church. But that church felt empty spiritually... it was a physical church, but without God. I could say more, but I don't want to be disrespectful.

Eventually God called me back to church attendance at a wonderful large non-denominational church with multiple weekend services, one of which fit with my schedule. I felt Him there. I started growing in Christ again and attended for a couple years. I also started wondering about all the denominations I grew up attending and what made them all different, and I began to voraciously study them, as well as Church history. I also had a persistent longing for the Lord's Supper after so many years away, inexplicably. Communion did quench this thirst, but why had it happened?

Long story short, I am in Catholic RCIA now. Although I was mostly satisfied in the non-denominational church, I still felt like something was missing, which I later recognized in the Sacraments and Liturgy. I had studied the Reformation and I initially thought I would find myself in a Confessional Lutheran church, or perhaps with the Orthodox. But to my surprise the Spirit instead led me to a local Roman Catholic parish, and it is home. I will likely be confirmed this spring. I feel such peace, so nourished there, closer to Him. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would seek to become a Catholic, I would not have believed them. It has been quite the Unexpected Journey.:smile:

So anyway, that's where I am at. Nice to meet you all. :wave:

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all. :wave: I am a recent convert after completing RCIA this past year. I was confirmed in the Church in August at my beloved local parish. What an indescribable blessing it has been to join the Church. I finally found my spiritual home. I never knew my heart could fill so full with Christ. I feel like I wandered around for years, feeling like I was missing part of the picture in my Christian faith, like somewhere, there were more answers. And God led me home! I know my family and husband don't quite understand my journey, but they are still supportive. I quoted my intro post below with my journey.

Also, funny thing: My church sang "One Bread, One Body" at the first Mass I attended. And I immediately thought of this forum.
Welcome! I hope to see you posting in OBOB main forum soon.:) God bless you!

Reactions: Praying Rose
Upvote 0

MyCatholicLife03

Nov 18, 2019
North Texas
✟12,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Welcome :)

Reactions: Praying Rose
Upvote 0