Contradictions in the Bible

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Most of the "so called" contradictions appear as such due to a lack of understanding on the part of the reader.

Some of The Bible is purposely written in "dark sayings", so that only those honestly seeking enlightenment without sinful agendas will have the "light", given them to see and perceive the intended meaning and significance.

For example -

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.
<-----> Proverbs 26:4+5

On the surface this appears to be a contradiction.

But clearly, there is a proper time and place for most every thing, including things which are largely opposite in nature.

With that in mind, one may summarize that, it is foolish to be eager to engage the unwise, yet, if after considerable longsuffering, such insist upon a response, then the emphasis switches, so that it's better to give one, then to allow the unwise to erroneously think the lack of giving an answer means that there is none present, or available; for that would only allow that more presumption be added to their folly.

Similarly themed thread running in Non-denom. forum @ http://www.christianforums.com/t7544639/

And while there may be minute examples of "human error" in some copies of Scripture, and even some moderately "off the mark" translations...if one searches prayerfully, humbly, diligently looking even unto the "original tongues" of Scripture, every major point which God's Word is intended to convey can be seen and perceived clearly.

Here is a link to some free, downloadable, excellent Bible Study software - e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge

May The Lord Be Pleased !

wm

Upvote 0

Tim Myers

Mar 26, 2011
✟2,382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"....all you are going to end up with is one side saying "There are no contradictions".....and the other side nitpicking that there actually are dozens of them...."

"There are no contradictions. It's us that doesn't know how they lived back then and how their society really ran."

"Anyway, there are no contradictions in the Bible, only misunderstandings."

"The bible was written by imperfect men."

"As for the other contradictions? They indeed DO exist in the modern day English versions of the bible"

"....could there have been any mistakes when it was translated into English? Possibly."

"All the little inconsistencies don't bother me."

"Most of the "so called" contradictions appear as such due to a lack of understanding on the part of the reader."

See what I mean?

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, not exactly.

Some of us acknowledge there may indeed be some contradictions, but that basically all major issues are still addressed with clarity and consistency.

Small errors or contradictions may be allowed so that those seeking to justify their rejection will be given a small allowance for pursuing that end.

wm

Upvote 0

Tim Myers

Mar 26, 2011
✟2,382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree, the contradictions, inconsistencies and errors in the Bible are all inconsequential and in no way detract from the overall truth of God's message to us......

But, still, it is those who adamantly deny the existence of any contradictions or inconsistencies whatsoever who only make matters worse...........

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
M said:
The missing enzyme that those that chew the cud lack would have also have parasite killing properties to it. Without it they are more vulnerable to diseases than animals that do have the enzymes.
Animals that have to re eat their poops are also more susceptible to parasitic infections because if they were infected in the intestine they would then be re eating the eggs of that same parasite and many then go onto infecting muscle. brain, organs etc just like STILL happens today.
Next time you visit Peru, don't eat the cuy.

Many of the ailments people suffer today have unknown origins. People with fibromyalgia, ulcers, MS, depression, and other vague ailments are told different treatments from one year to the next. A couple years ago, someone from another country told me about brucellosis people still contracted from drinking contaminated raw milk. (Micro parasites, bringing on muscle problems.)

In the west, we have become accustomed to going to the doctor for the same top-ten problems because vaccines have eliminated so many things. We forget that there are hidden things that can pop up in the cracks. Parasites, viruses settling in organs, different fungi and bacteria.

What if some day the medical community discovered that schizophrenia was triggered by a virus, or fibro determined by a parasite.

I'm getting off track.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*Blind post*

First of all, rabbits do chew their cud. I have two. I've watched them do it. Our definition of "chewing the cud" is pretty specific to bovine animals; but in the Biblical sense it just means an animal that sits idly and chews grass, hay, or other fibrous materials to aid its digestion. And I used to remember the specific reason you did not want to eat non-bovine animals that did that, but it's slipped my mind.

As far as "contradictions," most of them are translation problems. Because of man's lack of diligence, we simply do not have a comprehensive knowledge of Biblical Hebrew anymore. We have to approach it more like a science than like a language, and sometimes we get our "science" wrong. The best example is Hebrew numbers: we flat-out don't know exactly how it worked, and most of our translation of numbers is an educated guess.

What's in the Scriptures is absolute truth, and the real truths shine through despite the language barriers; it's the ticky-tack historical details, we have trouble with.

But if you're hung up on ticky-tack things, in any area, you usually have an attitude problem that facts will not solve anyway.

Reactions: SoldierOfSoul
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
^_^

Hebrew numbers
Greek and Hebrew numbers are also alphabetical letters, so there are times we don't know whether it was intended to be a number or not. Hebrew also didn't use vowels, and had very few filler words (and, the).

But we have great resources to compare translations and word definitions now, accessible to the common man across most of the globe. So we can get closer to the truth, if we take the time.

Bible Study Gateway | StudyLight.org - Online Bible Verses by Topic

Upvote 0

crespo

Feb 25, 2011
✟15,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think your friend does have a point. I also ask myself why is the bible so hard to understand that we have like 100000000000 different denominations today? This is such a turn-off. :doh:
Christians argue about pretty much everything and everybody thinks he's right that's hard to take seriously. Every denomination feels like she's got it all down and found the secret which no other has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think your friend does have a point. I also ask myself why is the bible so hard to understand that we have like 100000000000 different denominations today? This is such a turn-off. :doh:
Christians argue about pretty much everything and everybody thinks he's right that's hard to take seriously. Every denomination feels like she's got it all down and found the secret which no other has.

No offense, but before you make such a ridiculous statement, you should read the whole thread first.

Upvote 0

crespo

Feb 25, 2011
✟15,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My statement is not ridiculous. Christians argue about pretty much everything you can argue about. Want me to give examples? Okay here we go:

- how do we get saved? is it faith alone or faith + works (repenting & being obedient , following Jesus.....)

- did Jesus die for the sins of all humans?

- does God wants to save all humans?

- is healing in the atonement?

- do the gifts of the spirit still exist today?

- is speaking in tongues still existent?

- does God cause catastrophes today?

- is God angry at humans right now?

- can you lose your salvation?

- what is repetance?

- do christians have to tithe?

- is baptism necessary to be saved?

- does God still heal today?

- does God punish people today and make them sick?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Walter Kovacs

Justice is coming, no matter what we do.
Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
He said if it truly was the Word of God, it would have been completely clear and simple to understand, without confusion and riddles.

Why? Jesus specifically spoke in dark riddles so that those genuinely seeking truth would find it, and those who weren't wouldn't. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My statement is not ridiculous. Christians argue about pretty much everything you can argue about. Want me to give examples? Okay here we go:

First of all, read my quote in my sig.

- how do we get saved? is it faith alone or faith + works (repenting & being obedient , following Jesus.....)

Repentance and salvation go hand in hand.
- did Jesus die for the sins of all humans?

He died for sinners who are human, this is plain in scripture and all Christians at least believe this.
- does God wants to save all humans?

Again, He wants to save sinners.
- is healing in the atonement?

God alone heals, always could, always will, He heals because He is God. (and this is not important to salvation.)
- do the gifts of the spirit still exist today?
This is debatable, but I believe they do, but again not inportant to salvation.
- is speaking in tongues still existent?

IDK again not important to salvation.
- does God cause catastrophes today?
Not important to salvation, no matter what He does or allows, He is perfect and good and holy, trust in this fact of the bible, not in mans wisdom.
- is God angry at humans right now?
He is angry at sinners, but desires their repentance.
- can you lose your salvation?
Now this is a good question, you must be born again, as the bible says.

- what is repetance?
Turning from sin to God.
- do christians have to tithe?
Not important to salvation
- is baptism necessary to be saved?
Yes and no.
- does God still heal today?
Yes, He is God.
- does God punish people today and make them sick?
Does it matter? Again, He is holy, just and perfect goodness, whatever He does is in accordance with eternal justice.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
True revelation of knowledge normally leaves one realizing how little they know, out of all that potentially can be known.

When we lose sight of our # 1 priority/commandment towards each other, and put more precedence on something other than Christ's Golden Rule, the very foundation of Christian living is abandoned and shaky structures are propped up which lack sound character, and are thus destined to crumble.

So it is with relatively minute, apparent contradictions in The Gift of Scripture.

Anyone who values that Gift, will not be deterred from embracing it, even if something seems a bit off.

How many car lovers would reject the gift of a beautiful, fine running automobile because it had a few minor scratches, or bubbles in the paint job ?!!

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. <-----> Hosea 4:6

The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them? <-----> Jeremiah 8:9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. <-----> Psalm 119:105

Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loves it. <-----> Psalm 119:140

I rejoice at thy word, as one that finds great spoil. <-----> Psalm 119:162

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. <-----> Jeremiah 15:16

I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. <-----> John 17:14 (Words of Jesus)

And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
<-----> John 17:19+20 (Words of Jesus)

He that believes on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. <-----> John 7:38 (Words of Jesus)

May The Lord Be Magnified !

wm

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus specifically spoke in dark riddles so that those genuinely seeking truth would find it, and those who weren't wouldn't. Simple as that.
I agree. Humans like to own information, rule doctrine, package and can and polish... but God wants our hearts. I think He intentionally leaves some gaps so we don't get even more carried away with legalities and competitions.

I think of denominations as beautiful homes, where each personality can find a comfortable spot, and people at different phases of understanding can find people who are thinking along the same lines.

Imagine if your house had just been broken into -- it would be hard to face that every church was in loveydovey mode, and no one was willing to stand up for justice.

Or imagine that you had just become a new Christian, and wanted to spend time with people "living the life" -- but every church was so focused on little kids' ministries that they did nothing else together.

Churches need to be different from each other, because God established the Body of Christ to have many parts, all functioning in unison with very different roles and concerns.

Reactions: Walter Kovacs
Upvote 0