Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The use of contraception is sinful. It is against God's commandments, and against the universal teaching of the Church through the ages.

It's use and acceptance has always led quickly to the acceptance and use of abortion, and currently is destroying Western civilization, through the popularization of extra-maritial sex, and sub-replacement level birth rates.

Have fun discussing.

Reactions: lionroar0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The use of contraception is sinful. It is against God's commandments, and against the universal teaching of the Church through the ages.

It's use and acceptance has always led quickly to the acceptance and use of abortion, and currently is destroying Western civilization, through the popularization of extra-maritial sex, and sub-replacement level birth rates.

Have fun discussing.

The use of contraceptives doesn't appear to be in the bible.

Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his sperm on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.

This shows that God was angry with this man. Didn't check exhaustively prior to this verse to see if commanded as of yet, but I know it's commanded later to do so for one's brother.

However this is not regarding contraceptives.

The only other I can think of is:

God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Again, no birth control mentioned here.

He said that to Adam and Eve. Not to all man.

Many do not have sex.

Anyway, I think birth control is okay. (However don't think the day after pill which does indeed cause abortion is okay.) Know of many lovely Christians that use it (regular birth control), and so, because it doesn't cause abortion; not a problem as far as I know.

Also, those that use the rhythm (sp) method, if you are thinking of these as doing right, since they are not using contraceptives; what if that night, God had planned for them to have a child?

Could be true about leading to people to use abortions; don't know much on those studies. However, Christian using birth control, if that Christan does not believe in allowing abortions, then doubt that would encourage them to have an abortion.

Not familiar with church thru ages as not into any particular denomination of a church that makes rules and commandments outside of God's word.

peace,
tapero

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
All Christians believed it to be gravely sinful until the Anglicans approved it in limited circumstances at the Lambeth Conference in the 1930s.

Marriage is a sign of Christ's love for the Church--and His love is the opposite of contraceptive--it seeks to give life, not to prevent it.

It's sad that many Christians today strictly and faithfully believe in chastity before marriage, but once they are married anything goes (chastity does not always equal celibacy). The conjugal embrace is something holy that should not be profaned.

Reactions: Theophorus
Upvote 0
T

TheDivaAngel

The "church"!! According to them it is wrong. Sorry...but that is just mans teaching. I wonder if the 'church' takes care of all the kids? Doubt it. There are so many reasons NOT to have kids..finances, health of parents...SO many. I have been married almost 18 years to the same wonderful man...we have 2 kids, and a foster son..I chose after our daughter to have my tubes tied. THAT has NOT led me to adultery/extramarital sex or anything else that the 'church' supposes happens using birth control! That is a load of garbage.

Upvote 0

IamAdopted

Nov 22, 2006
South Carolina
✟18,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All Christians believed it to be gravely sinful until the Anglicans approved it in limited circumstances at the Lambeth Conference in the 1930s.

Marriage is a sign of Christ's love for the Church--and His love is the opposite of contraceptive--it seeks to give life, not to prevent it.

It's sad that many Christians today strictly and faithfully believe in chastity before marriage, but once they are married anything goes (chastity does not always equal celibacy). The conjugal embrace is something holy that should not be profaned.
Never read that anywhere in scripture. Never read that not having children is sin in the bible. So I guess this is just another one of those heavey laden burdens someone is trying to lay upon People.

Upvote 0
T

TheDivaAngel

Never read that anywhere in scripture. Never read that not having children is sin in the bible. So I guess this is just another one of those heavey laden burdens someone is trying to lay upon People.
and if it is a sin...why did Mary 'not have any more children'?? I mean come on..if it is a sin not to...poor Joseph....and I mean, come on..Mary was in sin too then.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
This shows that God was angry with this man. Didn't check exhaustively prior to this verse to see if commanded as of yet, but I know it's commanded later to do so for one's brother.
It wasn't--and the punishment given later for not doing so for one's brother is not death, but something much lesser. And yet God struck this man down for doing a detestable thing. What was the detestable thing he did that merited death?

Maybe someone can provide all the other Biblical passages relating to the sexual act and what its purpose is and also the passages concerning how it can be abused. Likewise, it would be good to show how the married holy people of the Bible react when they have kids versus when they are unable to. That might help put things in perspective.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and if it is a sin...why did Mary 'not have any more children'?? I mean come on..if it is a sin not to...poor Joseph....and I mean, come on..Mary was in sin too then.

Hi, I may have misunderstood your post, however, Mary did have more children.

and again, still may have misunderstood your post, but yes, Mary is a sinner also.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It wasn't--and the punishment given later for not doing so for one's brother is not death, but something much lesser. And yet God struck this man down for doing a detestable thing. What was the detestable thing he did that merited death?

Maybe someone can provide all the other Biblical passages relating to the sexual act and what its purpose is and also the passages concerning how it can be abused. Likewise, it would be good to show how the married holy people of the Bible react when they have kids versus when they are unable to. That might help put things in perspective.:)

It was commanded to the Hebrew nation only, to carry on the family line if a brother died. This command was not given to all mankind, as all mankind was not expected to keep the laws that Israel were given by God to try to keep.

The man may have been commanded of the above para I just wrote; I looked back, but not exhaustively. Israel was commanded to keep the family line by doing just as the story says.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
why do the Catholics put undue heavy burdens on people?? reminds me of someone in the Bible...um..who could it be?? Since God didn't tell me it is a sin...well..I could care less what 'man' thinks. We are happy with our 2 kids and foster son.

Just to be fair, it wasn't a Catholic that started this thread.

Upvote 0
T

TheDivaAngel

Just to be fair, it wasn't a Catholic that started this thread.
No, I realize that. But it is the Catholics that like to do what I was saying. No you didn't misunderstand my post. I agree Mary had other children and that she was a sinner..but catholics don't. well, they are saying she is by her disobeying the command to go and multiply. See what I am saying? She sinned by 'not' doing that by their own standards. I think they are totally wrong on that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic

What haven't you read in the Bible? The part about marriage being a sign of Christ's love for the Church is in Ephesians as well as the fact that it is a holy mystery. The Church's love for Christ and His love for the Church are the models for the love of husband and wife. The union of Christ and His Bride is ordered to bring forth supernatural life. The union of husband and wife is ordered to bring forth natural life. Departing from the order ordained by God is what we call sin.

This is not a burden laid anymore than the prohibitions on fornication are a burden laid--many unmarried folks think its too hard to live celibately until marriage. Christ says if we do not embrace our crosses, we are not worthy of Him--but we will find that when we do embrace his yoke, that it is light and sweet--our struggle is due to our lakc of trust in Him and the concupiscences of the flesh.

Anyway, I don't see how abstinence is any less of a burden than mutilating a major bodily system or pumping one's body full of hormones and chemicals so that a major bodily system's functioning is radically altered or even putting a barrier between the husband and wife when they seek to renew their becoming one flesh.

Upvote 0

IamAdopted

Nov 22, 2006
South Carolina
✟18,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What haven't you read in the Bible? The part about marriage being a sign of Christ's love for the Church is in Ephesians as well as the fact that it is a holy mystery. The Church's love for Christ and His love for the Church are the models for the love of husband and wife. The union of Christ and His Bride is ordered to bring forth supernatural life. The union of husband and wife is ordered to bring forth natural life. Departing from the order ordained by God is what we call sin.

This is not a burden laid anymore than the prohibitions on fornication are a burden laid--many unmarried folks think its too hard to live celibately until marriage. Christ says if we do not embrace our crosses, we are not worthy of Him--but we will find that when we do embrace his yoke, that it is light and sweet--our struggle is due to our lakc of trust in Him and the concupiscences of the flesh.

Anyway, I don't see how abstinence is any less of a burden than mutilating a major bodily system or pumping one's body full of hormones and chemicals so that a major bodily system's functioning is radically altered or even putting a barrier between the husband and wife when they seek to renew their becoming one flesh.
The part where contraception is a sin and the part where having no children is a sin. I have 5 by the way. :) This is nothing more than laying heavy burdens upon people. Jesus said learn of Me for my Yoke is easy. It is not in how many children we do or do not have. This is as bad as saying eating shell fish is a sin. :)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

She was a virgin. The Holy Spirit gave her one child.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
why do the Catholics put undue heavy burdens on people?? reminds me of someone in the Bible...um..who could it be?? Since God didn't tell me it is a sin...well..I could care less what 'man' thinks. We are happy with our 2 kids and foster son.

note ; children are a burden, and a heavy one at that.

Reactions: cobweb
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.