Contraception = witchcraft

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Finally found out why everyone hates contraception, it went side by side with witchcraft in ancient times. At least according to this article it did.

Is Harry Potter anti-contraception?

So yeah, there you have it all you witches & wizards or warlocks or whatever...how dare you avoid being quiverfull. :p

Just curios, did anyone invoke the use of any magical spells at their sterilization procedure?

EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks that author looks like Matt Damon?

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ROFLMAOLOL!!!!! (and every other acronym for "you've got to be kidding me" on the internet! :D)

And to answer the question, yes -- I sat in a circle with six other women, so we made a coven of seven, in the middle of the woods during a full moon, dressed in white linen and with flowers in our hair. We danced barefoot and sacrificed toads to the goddess of anti-fertility at exactly midnight. After the ritual tattooing, we all woke from our trances with diaphragms on our fingers and condoms on our toes. It was a fun night.

Reactions: fuzzymel
Upvote 0

Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ROFLMAOLOL!!!!! (and every other acronym for "you've got to be kidding me" on the internet! :D)

And to answer the question, yes -- I sat in a circle with six other women, so we made a coven of seven, in the middle of the woods during a full moon, dressed in white linen and with flowers in our hair. We danced barefoot and sacrificed toads to the goddess of anti-fertility at exactly midnight. After the ritual tattooing, we all woke from our trances with diaphragms on our fingers and condoms on our toes. It was a fun night.

ROFLMAO :D

Sounds prettyfull :D

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
"Hey you, protestant! You're worse than Harry Potter, because you use witchcraft when you contracept, whereas Harry and his friends follow the natural law."

ROFL!!! :D

I agree on one thing with the author, though: I don't think Harry Potter is suitable for young kids (pre-teens).

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
WOW! that's incredible. How have you catholics survived all these years without Harry Potter as an example? ;)

And since we love the Harry Potter books, I guess we should be getting out there making babies....... oh wait, I guess we did that already :D
Oh you Weasley woman!

Reactions: sparassidae
Upvote 0

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I laughed when I both saw the subject of this post and read the article. Very funny! Especially since the Harry Potter references had nothing to do with the "contraception is evil" argument. Except for "contraception is evil because the Weasleys are good people and had seven children", the equivalent of "contraception is evil because the Bible says children are a blessing". Those evil Malfoys only had one child. But so did Hermione's parents, so does that mean she's evil, too? Hmmm....

Although I will say, as another fellow Harry Potter fan, I LOVED seeing a Christian finally go out there and explain exactly why the "witchcraft" in HP is completely different than the spiritually harmful sort of witchcraft. I would gladly take just that paragraph and distribute it as I see fit :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People need to become familiar with the concept of Genetic Fallacy: an appraisal of something based on its origins.

In that case, Christmas trees are evil, since they started out as objects of pagan ritual. No Christian should ever have one in their house lest they incur the wrath of God. Actually, we need to completely throw Christmas out the door, since that originated as a pagan sun-god festival. So much for the holiday we Christians seem to love so much...

Upvote 0

Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In that case, Christmas trees are evil, since they started out as objects of pagan ritual. No Christian should ever have one in their house lest they incur the wrath of God. Actually, we need to completely throw Christmas out the door, since that originated as a pagan sun-god festival. So much for the holiday we Christians seem to love so much...

Actually Jesus was not born on Dec 25 but it was moved to that date to, I believe, cover up that festival day which the Egyptians dedicated to their sun-god.

PS
I was always told that because HP had witchcraft in it that it was evil. Now I'm see people argue that it's not the real deal and therefore not harmful. I'd be interested in hearing someone elaborate on this.

Upvote 0

HeyHomie

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2005
Springfield, IL
✟4,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I've actually seen that position advocated on CF (and elsewhere).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was always told that because HP had witchcraft in it that it was evil. Now I'm see people argue that it's not the real deal and therefore not harmful. I'd be interested in hearing someone elaborate on this.

I've never believed HP was evil because I understood that the type of magic in it is fantasy based, like Cinderella/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Wizard of Oz. After reading the books, I can confirm that this is definitely the case. To paraphrase the quote from the contraception article, JK Rowling merely uses magic as a literary device to drive through her story. The fun of HP is that she took elements of "fantasy magic" (casting spells to make things physically move and change, broomstick riding, pointy hats and cloaks, bats and owls, magic wands, potions and cauldrons, dragons, etc) and put it in to a modern school setting. The same things that happen in real-life school - homework, classes, homework, detention, feuds with classmates, sporting competitions, romances - happen in HP but have these fantasy-magic elements. I've read stuff by practicing pagans that say that HP is no indication of what they do, just fantasy. Also, the magic in HP is a fictional physical ability that people are born with. People that are not born with that ability cannot become "magical" people, no matter how hard they try or want it. In pagan magic, I don't think this is the case - anyone who wants to practice pagan magic can with the right training.

I've also seen some Christian themes in the HP story, including the power of sacrificial love (which is greater than any "magic") that is the heart of the Christian faith. The final book also contains some references that are straight out of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Rembrandtfan

He's here, the Phantom of the Opera
Jul 18, 2007
La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We need to ban Easter then, too. It originated with the fertility goddess Ishtar. Eggs and rabbits are both symbols of fertility. Gee, maybe the people who are anti-contraception are practicing witchcraft as well.

Dumbest thing I ever read - not the Harry Potter part, but the contraception part.

Upvote 0