✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My Christian friend asks,

'Did not the Lord teach, in the 'Lord's Prayer', to make asking for forgiveness a continuing feature of a believer's relationship with the Lord?'
[underlining mine].

I say, 'NO, not at all'.
I say no too.
Because we have been forgiven in Christ.

I'm not saying we should never ask for forgiveness though, like when we really mess up something.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

'Did not the Lord teach, in the 'Lord's Prayer', to make asking for forgiveness a continuing feature of a believer's relationship with the Lord?'
[underlining mine].

I say, 'NO, not at all'.

Only if we have actually sinned. If we have not done anything wrong then there is no need.

Most of us see God as so much better than we are that we feel ourselves to be inadequate in comparison, and we ask forgiveness for this inadequacy, as if we have a choice.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with most of what's been said. We don't need to be continually asking forgiveness because Jesus paid the penalty for our sins -- past, present, and future. However, if we are disobedient in some way, then confessing, asking forgiveness, and repenting are certainly in order.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

[underlining mine].

I say, 'NO, not at all'.
I always ask God to forgive me if I fall short of the standard He called me to live up to. Then I have to exercise faith that He answers the prayer, so that soon I can walk in peace with no dirty conscience. The "Lord's Prayer" is for His followers, not for unbelievers. Therefore, "forgive us our trespasses..." teaches us to ask Him to forgive, as well as remind us of our trespasses against others, in addition to reminding us to forgive others of their faults also. It is a continuing feature of any relationship, in fact. When there is an offense, don't you expect a "sorry"? This is a way of asking forgiveness, and it needs to be said in all relationships. Forgiveness is the first step to reconciliation. Offense breaks it, forgiveness repairs it. The newfangled adage "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is a falsity.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I always ask God to forgive me if I fall short of the standard He called me to live up to. Then I have to exercise faith that He answers the prayer, so that soon I can walk in peace with no dirty conscience. The "Lord's Prayer" is for His followers, not for unbelievers. Therefore, "forgive us our trespasses..." teaches us to ask Him to forgive, as well as remind us of our trespasses against others, in addition to reminding us to forgive others of their faults also. It is a continuing feature of any relationship, in fact. When there is an offense, don't you expect a "sorry"? This is a way of asking forgiveness, and it needs to be said in all relationships. Forgiveness is the first step to reconciliation. Offense breaks it, forgiveness repairs it. The newfangled adage "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is a falsity.

That is a very good point, imo.

It isn't just 'forgive me'. It is 'forgive me in the same way as I forgive others.'

Thanks for that. x

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Daydream Island

Christian
Jun 14, 2016
Sydney
✟11,002.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I too agree with having to continually ask for forgiveness continually unless you are perfect in every way.
Yes Jesus paid for our sins but that does not mean that when you do something or think something that is wrong however small or big; you can skip over it saying Jesus paid for it.
Asking for forgiveness is fully acknowledge you did wrong, and an act of repentance to correct & discipline yourself.

So yes I do believe it is important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NewCreation17

Jan 27, 2015
✟11,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Below might help.

Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repent and believe! Believing and being baptized in water is only half of what Christ Jesus told us to do. Believing with your heart and proclaiming with your mouth Jesus Christ as Lord with no repentance of sin will leave men and women without the Holy Spirit, professing to have and know Christ, but living in darkness and sin, and can never seem to break free from sin, and on their way to eternal damnation still living in the unfruitful works of darkness and are promised eternal life by many false preachers and teachers.

The true gospel preached to the gentiles 2000+ years ago by Paul was one of a complete change and full surrender, having fruitful works with your faith. Where our manner of life and works testified to how GOD had changed us by His Spirit in Christ Jesus.

Acts 26:19-20
Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Repentance is a complete 180 degree turn from sin, a change of heart and thinking. Only GOD sees when you have repented from your heart of all sin and are ready to live for Him. This is why Some people get filled with the Holy Spirit immediately after repentance and baptism or believing on Jesus Christ, and some it takes weeks, months, years, of hard times and tribulations to finally get you to surrender with your own free will and decide you truly want to stop sinning and live for GOD. (false doctrine may play a part in not being filled too.) Spend time on your knees, with GOD and pour out your heart before Him and give Him everything. Ask GOD to help you let go of things you are struggling with! And in Jesus name ask the Father to fill you with His Holy Spirit. (anything you idolize or put before GOD can keep you from being filled.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those that believe in Christ Jesus will be judged by faith and works. Faith alone is dead, let us bear fruit and not be lukewarm in the last times.
Matthew 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

1 Peter 4:17-18 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

2 Corinthians 5:10-11 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

2 James 2:14-20
14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

We must put to death all sin in our lives to overcome when we are judged. To have Christ Jesus in you and the hope of eternal life you must repent and believe and be filled with the Holy Spirit (born again). Without the Holy Spirit, this next verse is nearly impossible because the flesh has not been put to death by the Spirit of GOD,

1 John 3:6
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Romans 8:12-13
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Beware of false teaching,

Ezekiel 12:22 Because with lies ye have made the heart of the righteous sad, whom I have not made sad; and strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, by promising him life:

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

A great lie is that there is no way to stop sinning, that a Christian sins daily, if not weekly or monthly.

Galatians 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

Even after we repent and put to death sin by the power of the Holy Spirit that changes us into the image of Christ, we must NOT build again the things which we destroyed, this is called falling away or backsliding.

Galatians 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

But lastly read what Jesus said to one of His churches, to give us an idea of how we will be judged in the end times.

Revelations 2:2-5 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: 3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. 4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. 5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Let us love each other and speak truth to all, with a pure heart and clean hands, in meekness and in love!

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. (bold mine, 1 John 1:8-10, 1984 NIV)

John's use of the word just is powerful in this passage. It means that God has obligated himself to forgive us our sins if we confess our sins to him. Even though our legal sin debt was paid for by Jesus, we need to continue to confess our sins for the sake of our own hearts and our relationship with God. However, someone who feels the need to continually confess their sins is suffering from some form of deception. In extreme cases it can lead to asceticism for which the person needs intervention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. (bold mine, 1 John 1:8-10, 1984 NIV)

John's use of the word just is powerful in this passage. It means that God has obligated himself to forgive us our sins if we confess our sins to him. Even though our legal sin debt was paid for by Jesus, we need to continue to confess our sins for the sake of our own hearts and our relationship with God. However, someone who feels the need to continually confess their sins is suffering from some form of deception. In extreme cases it can lead to asceticism for which the person needs intervention.
No, it doesn't mean that God has obligated Himself. "He is faithful and just" means that since God has promised to forgive us (IF we repent and believe the gospel - it is a conditional promise, not applied to everyone), then He will forgive because He is faithful and just. God is just by His nature, it is an attribute of God. His being just in this passage means that God never stops being just, even when He does something seemingly unjust, by forgiving us of sin. God is not obligated (by Himself or by anything else) to forgive anyone. He does so out of His love, and this is a full commitment, not an obligation.

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

[underlining mine].

I say, 'NO, not at all'.

Why, exactly, do you claim that continually asking for forgiveness is not to be a continuing feature of a believers relationship with The Lord?

I am not aware of any Scripture, nor any teaching from St. Paul or any other apostle/disciple that claims we only need to pray The Lord's Prayer one time? And even if we did have such evidence, can any of us claim to have 100%, completely stopped trespassing? Against others or against The Lord?
Is there any Scriptural evidence that we shouldn't continue to ask to be forgiven? Since I am unaware of the sins I will commit yet today, even if those future sins are already forgiven me, wouldn't it be 'right and just' for me to still fall at the feet of The Lord of Lords and the King of Kings and beg forgiveness based on what Christ has done on my behalf?
And how are we to forgive the trespasses of others only once? Does not Scripture say that we are to forgive others '70 times 7 times'? (A clear alagory for continual forgiveness of others imho).
So, if you could please explain your reasoning for saying that the continual asking for and the continual granting of forgiveness is not required or implied, it might help shape the discussion.

Peace in Christ
Hawkiz

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well you would need to ask forgiveness for an offense, right? If you offended your wife should you not seek reconciliation?
If you are sinning then you can ask for forgiveness. But if you continually commit the same sin then asking for forgiveness seems sort of fakey, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Continually seeking forgiveness is the characteristic of someone who is ither not saved, or does not understand the FINISHED Work of Jesus on the Cross.
Trying to be continually forgiven, or, continually seeking forgiveness, is similar to continually trying to be Born Again, again.

A Chirstian has the same righteousness as Christ, as its His very righteosuness that has been gifted to you, if you are born again.
This cant be undone, or lost, or given away, because its a finished work, a completed situation for every Child of God.

Now, if you harm your sensitive conscious by doing something that you know is wrong, then what you FEEL is the consequence of this behavior.
Dont do that.
To stop this stinging, you would turn from the deed and not go back to it.
If your persist, then it will become a finger in your eye, until you stop, and if you will not stop, then God will perform in your life the right of a Father to correct a child who is stubborn.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Continually seeking forgiveness is the characteristic of someone who is ither not saved, or does not understand the FINISHED Work of Jesus on the Cross.
Trying to be continually forgiven, or, continually seeking forgiveness, is similar to continually trying to be Born Again, again.

A Chirstian has the same righteousness as Christ, as its His very righteosuness that has been gifted to you, if you are born again.
This cant be undone, or lost, or given away, because its a finished work, a completed situation for every Child of God.

Now, if you harm your sensitive conscious by doing something that you know is wrong, then what you FEEL is the consequence of this behavior.
Dont do that.
To stop this stinging, you would turn from the deed and not go back to it.
If your persist, then it will become a finger in your eye, until you stop, and if you will not stop, then God will perform in your life the right of a Father to correct a child who is stubborn.

OR, seeking forgiveness after we have been given the grace of God is an act of obedient humility...a realization that we have failed to live up to the responsibility that comes with that gift and we have sinned against He who gave that gift to us.
1 Peter 5:5. 'For God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.'
Luke 18:14. 'Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, but he who humbles himself shall be exalted.'

Asking for and seeking forgiveness continually is not an action of the unsaved, but rather a humbling of those who are in Christ, with the full understanding that we are only saved by His grace, that we continually fall in our walk with Him, and that we desire to continually be obedient to His Covenant. Asking forgiveness in no way lessens His gift, but rather it magnifies it: seeking forgiveness demonstrates that we believe fully in His works on the Cross, and further demonstrates that we are completely aware that our own human-ness falls short of His glory time and time again.

Peace in Christ
Hawkiz

Reactions: DavetheSlave
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let's say your spouse cheats on you, then asks forgiveness. If you are especially graceful then you will forgive.
So what about the second time? The 20th time? At what point do you think "if they keep cheating on me then maybe they really want to cheat and they are not actually sorry".

This is how God feels when His children choose to walk in darkness.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't worry about it too much... in the past I would worry about every sin and confess it but now I don't. Every Sunday we have a general confession and the pastor pronounces a general absolution. When I see myself doing something wrong, I try to do better, and I try to live out the Lord's prayer to forgive other people as I have been forgiven... which is not easy.

Repentance is a state of mind for me, it means I'm looking to do better. It's like I often have a quiet inner dialogue going with God. After all, God knows my heart and my mind. If you find asking for forgiveness out loud helps you do that, then you should do that.

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

The day I found 2 Timothy 3:15 KJV!
Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

[underlining mine].

I say, 'NO, not at all'.
I say, no; the "Lord's Prayer" was said from the third day of the Creation. It does not apply directly to us here in the fourth day of the Creation. For us here, "It is finished:" (John 19:30) and there is no sin. We have been given, "a new commandment" (John 13:34-35) and the old commandments do not apply.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's neither one or the other.

It's a heart issue. You have to be free of the strongholds in your soul and heart. You may ask for forgiveness to have this. Or you may not.

Sometimes asking for forgiveness is a sin because it is unbelief.
Other times asking for forgiveness is faith because it is belief and trust in God.

Where people mess it up is they create a rigid doctrine out of this where by, "I was forgiven, therefore, my relationship with God is irrelevant and I would never ask God to forgive me, but I might ask another person to forgive me." Well, God is a person, a man called Jesus Christ. If you are willing to ask a human here to forgive you, then whey not Jesus too?

But others constantly ask for forgiveness from a spirit of fear and unbelief. That's sin.

Upvote 0