North East England
✟16,325.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m only a few months into my faith journey, and I would say I’ve already changed a lot, and I’m trying to be better - I’m more conscious of the things I say, and not using profanity, I stopped watching certain television shows that seemed to really clash with my faith, and I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about sin. I struggle a lot to know the difference between knowing ‘this is wrong’ and ‘I’m paranoid, because I suffer with ill mental health, and worry too much’.

For example, I feel guilt when money is spent on me, or at the thought of going on vacation or anything like that - I feel like it’s wrong of me to have things or do things, when people have so little. I’ve also been telling myself that television (in moderation, especially compared to the amount of time I used to spend watching) is okay, as long as I’m not devoting my life to it, or taking lessons from it, but I do find myself worrying about things like the shows/films I watch, too.

I spend a lot of time feeling anxious about sinning, or doing the wrong thing, which I assume isn’t a healthy way to be! Do these things become clearer in time? Should it be obvious whether or not I’m being guided by God or my own worries? I constantly feel like I’m doing things ‘wrong’, those aren’t the only two instances - it’s almost as if I’ve chosen to start obsessing over what is or what isn’t a sin, and though I feel at peace when I pray, the worry seems to come back quite quickly.

I hope this is an okay thing to post/the right place to post it! I just need a little bit of guidance, if anybody has any. I love God, and I think my biggest fear is not being good enough for Him, especially after 20+ years of not having faith. Hope this makes some sense. Thank you in advance!

FatalFantasy

Jan 30, 2019
Brisbane
✟2,057.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m only a few months into my faith journey, and I would say I’ve already changed a lot, and I’m trying to be better - I’m more conscious of the things I say, and not using profanity, I stopped watching certain television shows that seemed to really clash with my faith, and I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about sin. I struggle a lot to know the difference between knowing ‘this is wrong’ and ‘I’m paranoid, because I suffer with ill mental health, and worry too much’.

For example, I feel guilt when money is spent on me, or at the thought of going on vacation or anything like that - I feel like it’s wrong of me to have things or do things, when people have so little. I’ve also been telling myself that television (in moderation, especially compared to the amount of time I used to spend watching) is okay, as long as I’m not devoting my life to it, or taking lessons from it, but I do find myself worrying about things like the shows/films I watch, too.

I spend a lot of time feeling anxious about sinning, or doing the wrong thing, which I assume isn’t a healthy way to be! Do these things become clearer in time? Should it be obvious whether or not I’m being guided by God or my own worries? I constantly feel like I’m doing things ‘wrong’, those aren’t the only two instances - it’s almost as if I’ve chosen to start obsessing over what is or what isn’t a sin, and though I feel at peace when I pray, the worry seems to come back quite quickly.

I hope this is an okay thing to post/the right place to post it! I just need a little bit of guidance, if anybody has any. I love God, and I think my biggest fear is not being good enough for Him, especially after 20+ years of not having faith. Hope this makes some sense. Thank you in advance!
If you think that you can be good enough for God, you'll always be running up that hill.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, first encouragement. Looking past the anxiety, I see many good things here. You clearly have a strong desire to change (Christ-like change) and the willingness to do what it takes. In that you are doing great and I dare say ahead of many Christians.

As far as the anxiety, anxiety doesn't come from God. God tells us to be anxious for nothing. Why? Because He's our Heavenly Father and He's looking out for us. But it is a process to learn how to trust. Many times when God talks to us, the enemy will come in right behind that with condemnation in an attempt to sound like God, be aware and don't fall for it. God clearly doesn't want you sinning, but He also doesn't want you stressed out about it. That's probably the enemy trying to wear you out and make you give up. Don't let him!

Notice when you feel peace: when you pray. Keep that up, that's awesome. My advice is to not let yourself get overwhelmed with everything that may or may not be a sin, but in your prayer time - when you are at peace - ask God what He wants you to focus on right now (1 or 2 things only) and don't worry about the rest yet. Note, clearly if you know something is wrong, avoid it, and do what is right. But we are transformed from faith to faith and glory to glory, meaning it is a process, it doesn't happen overnight.

Keep it up. Don't let the enemy steal your peace. You're doing great!

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

"Good enough for him" is kind of a funny thing. You can never be good enough. Yet living in obedience (not saying never doing wrong; I'm saying having a life habit of doing what you DO KNOW is right.)

The longer you know God and walk with him, the more you will understand, that this is not a performance you do for God's sake, with a mind of "this is your part, that is his". Walking with the Lord, and obedience, even salvation itself, is the work of God. Yet that doesn't relinquish you from your responsibility; in fact, it does just the opposite --it drives you to do what he is doing in you.

Don't worry so much. A clear conscience is a priceless thing, but if you are the one clearing your conscience, it will always bother you.

A clear conscience can also be deceiving, as I expect you already know. But I'm not referring to living up to your decision as to right vs wrong, as much as the expectation that once you have lived up to your conscience, you have done "good enough". There is no end to growing in grace during this life.

Get to know God, read volumes of scripture, do not let this become a superstitious "figuring out" the will of God, or following "this then that" procedures for attaining what God requires. The Bible tells you how, as much as what. And the how is ALWAYS with God.

One thing I have often referred back to, to help understand how God deals with us is, "God may not very much care which pair of socks I wear today, but he does enjoy being with me while I decide." This also helps me not take myself too seriously.

Upvote 0

FoundinHope

Jan 31, 2019
North East England
✟16,325.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all SO much! Very good points about never being ‘good enough’ - I suppose I moreso meant ‘being the version of myself He wants me to be’, but even so, you’re all right, that’s definitely something I need to stop thinking. I really appreciate the help and support, and these replies have really helped ease some of those worries already! I think not having anyone to talk to about faith makes me worry about EVERYTHING, so it’s really nice to have found this place. I’m still so early on my journey, I often feel like I need to do this first, then that, but it helps to have some guidance! I will definitely take the advice on board, thank you again!

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin.. you know I was once reading in 1st-3rd John in the margin. And it was talking about if your heart convicts you you wont get anything from God. I got up and said.. I quit.. my heart convicts me 24/7 (of sin). I reach for the door.. and He asked me "what is righteousness?" I turn and say "ok ok.. righteousness is right standing with God" He asks "how do you get righteousness?" I say "by believing in Jesus" I cried and cried..

Our flesh LOVES to sin.. it has not been changed yet.. this is a battle we all (believers) face every day. Sin will put a wall between us and God.. where He can not do all He wants..if we are walking in sin.. that sin can open the door to the enemy if we do not repent and stop. The mind is the devils play ground.. we all get tempted... its ONLY when we allow that thought to grow where we play with it.. THEN it becomes sin. He always makes a way out..always

So.. just say sorry.. repent.. get up dust off and keep going. A He is IN YOU! He is not going anywhere.. He is NOT against you.. HE is for you.. He loves you SO MUCH and YES YES YES… it will all change.. some it happens right away..others can take time. I use to LOVE to listen to acid rock.. even saved.. I still remember.. one day.. it was just gone.. I didn't even want it.. I didn't do anything.. He that started a good work in you HELLO! WILL FINISH IT!

Don't focus on sin.. read the letter/book Phil.. how to think..what to think on.. and OT keep your mind on HIM (GOD) He will keep you in perfect peace. And.. your Father.. Jesus and the sweet sweet Holy Spirit will NEVER EVER EVER EVER make you feel guilty. He never does.. If you goof up miss it.. He will never judge you make fun of you.. just RUN to Him. don't let the enemy steal your joy.. HIS JOY is your strength. Its like when FEAR pops up? I say. NO.. its written God has not given me the spirit of fear but of power and love and a sound mind! Guilt? NO.. there is NOW no condemnation to them that are in Christ JESUS!

Focus on Him.. again.. if you good up.. repent and He IS faithful and just to forgive you and cleans us from all unrighteousness. No sinning.. or sinning.. does not effect YOU ARE IN RIGHT STANDING with GOD! You are righteous.. NOT because you never sin.. but ONLY because you believe in JESUS Christ! Keep your eyes on HIM! See thought His eyes.. have His heart.. let this mind be in you that was also in Christ Jesus.....your doing GREAT! Don't let the enemy lie to you.. ALL GOOD THINGS come for God..

He your FATHER will always use PEACE...never fear worry doubt.. will always back up what He says by His word.. it HAS to be written!

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would suggest you remember there were rich men in the bible that God very much approved of, and there was no rule on how much they were to give.

You earn it, it's yours to do as you will with. There are rules we have to help others, but none on how much.

I should add, many off us have had the same thoughts as you. Also, it's biblical God asks much from those he has given much and little for those who he's given little.

Help others while making your life bearable?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If you have sincerely confessed your sins and asked Jesus to come into your life, His Holy Spirit begins His work in you. You have been forgiven and are beginning a new life. The Holy Spirit will bring to mind and heart of the changes.

Again, you have been forgiven, so the condemnation of your sin has been covered by the blood of Jesus.

When one accepts Jesus ... satan increases his attacks. That's where the "I'm not good enough" comes from. This is sort of a half-truth but is indeed a lie. In that, you by yourself are not capable of over coming sin and are condemned (false) ... because Jesus working in you will help you overcome sin and you will receive eternal life through Him (true).

If you are responding to the correction of the Holy Spirit out of love for Jesus and understand anything good accomplished in you is from Him ... and always giving Him the glory .. then this is the right heart to have.

If you think ... you can do "works" to achieve salvation this is the wrong heart to have.

So it's not about are you "good enough", it's where is the good in you coming from.

Abide in Him and He will abide in you .... but remember satan will launch attacks of doubt on you.

John 15

5I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers.

Study His Word, daily, pray, remain in Him, in love.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Firstly,

It’s so wonderful to hear the words coming from your heart. It’s clear you have a desire to please God :)

I want to really encourage you with the changes you implanted in your Life, I can feel God smile on you.

No longer using profanity, no longer watching certain shows that could pollute your faith

This really warms my heart friend.

You are doing so well

Now, with what you said about spending too much on you and not enough on others, that is journey, there are no quick answers for that

So remember this

Jesus said,

‘do to others what you would have them do to you - Matthew 7:12

Stands to reason then that this would also be true,

“do to yourself as you would do to others”

Remember that

Also

When you develop your relationship with God, he will lead to help people.

He will open your eyes to the people you are to help

God helps people through you.

He’ll lead you to the right people :)

Experience will be your best teacher for this situation

But your heart to please God has really made me smile :)

I know God smiles on you :)

Reactions: FoundinHope
Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ma

Romans 5:1-8
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

So first God will give you peace when you rest in him. I was just at a Bible study this morning and we talked this verse Matthew 6:25-27. It tells us to no worry but let God take care of what we need. Very good advice. No matter how hard or long you try to be righteous you will not succeed on your own. On the other hand God, the same God who provided a path, through Christ, for your salvation, will equip you to live a life that is full, abundant and free from all that would enslave you. On our own the result is always the same, failure. In Christ we are victorious. It is absolutely wonderful that you are turning from sin and rejecting sin, that is evidence that the Holy Spirit is now alive in you working to change you from a sinful fallen human into a child of God. Allow Him to continue that work but don't fret over it. Read the Word of God, pray often, think on the things of God which are good. Allow God to work through you. Your worries will fade, your sin and flesh will be under the control of the Holy Spirit and you will grow in Christ. The more we allow God to work in us the less sinful we are, the more we try to do this on our own the more frustrated we will be. It sounds counter intuitive but it is the path to freedom. God bless you and keep walking with and towards God.
The last thing I will share is that we are never good enough for God in our own strength or own our efforts. The Bible says all our righteousness is like filthy rags. The great news is as we give ourselves over to being molded and shaped by God the more like Him we become. Our faith comes from God, our hope is in God, and our freedom from sin is totally provided to us by God.

Continue in the Word and in prayer or as Paul wrote in Colossians 4:2 Devote yourself to prayer being watchful and thankful. Watch for God to work in your life continually and thankful for all He has provided for you now and in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geodub

Jan 28, 2019
Memphis
Visit site
✟16,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Any insights I could share with you would not be my own. God has been faithful to send several people in my path to help me along. However, if I can make one suggestion...

A book that has helped me out with this, so much I have read it a few times, "In The Grip of Grace" by Max Lucado.

His chapter about "The Parable of the River" is a great illustration of the different ways we seek to go about life and the ways our Lord deals us. I do not know if you are a Max Lucado fan, but it is worth a look, at least the Parable of the River. I believe it's chapter one.

Upvote 0