United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just "learned" about this conspiracy theory:

"The phantom time hypothesis is a historical conspiracy theory asserted by Heribert Illig. First published in 1991, it hypothesizes a conspiracy by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III, Pope Sylvester II, and possibly the Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII, to fabricate the Anno Domini dating system retroactively, in order to place them at the special year of AD 1000, and to rewrite history[1] to legitimize Otto's claim to the Holy Roman Empire. Illig believed that this was achieved through the alteration, misrepresentation and forgery of documentary and physical evidence.[2] According to this scenario, the entire Carolingian period, including the figure of Charlemagne, is a fabrication, with a "phantom time" of 297 years (AD 614–911) added to the Early Middle Ages.

The hypothesis has never attracted any support from historians."

I know it's a risk to post one more conspiracy theory for folks to waste their time on, but I'm curious if any Christians believe this. If so, doesn't Nicaea explain it? "Illig's "three missing centuries" thus correspond to the 369 years between the institution of the Julian calendar in 45 BC, and the fixing of the Easter Date at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_time_hypothesis

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"The phantom time hypothesis is a historical conspiracy theory asserted by Heribert Illig. First published in 1991, it hypothesizes a conspiracy by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III, Pope Sylvester II, and possibly the Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII, to fabricate the Anno Domini dating system retroactively, in order to place them at the special year of AD 1000, and to rewrite history[1] to legitimize Otto's claim to the Holy Roman Empire. Illig believed that this was achieved through the alteration, misrepresentation and forgery of documentary and physical evidence.[2] According to this scenario, the entire Carolingian period, including the figure of Charlemagne, is a fabrication, with a "phantom time" of 297 years (AD 614–911) added to the Early Middle Ages.

I know it's a risk to post one more conspiracy theory for folks to waste their time on, but I'm curious if any Christians believe this. If so, doesn't Nicaea explain it? "Illig's "three missing centuries" thus correspond to the 369 years between the institution of the Julian calendar in 45 BC, and the fixing of the Easter Date at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD."

... I've never even heard about this theory.

It's interesting but it sounds kind of phantasmagorical to me ... :dontcare:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

... maybe the real question here isn't "does Nicea explain it?," but rather "Are we somehow invested in the idea that Nicea explains it?" :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This used to happen to me when people claimed I was late for work. I used to point out to them that the 10 minutes or whatever they were talking about never really existed, so I was on time, or even early.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
... maybe the real question here isn't "does Nicea explain it?," but rather "Are we somehow invested in the idea that Nicea explains it?" :rolleyes:

I learned about this at 9am this morning. I'm not that invested, yet. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This used to happen to me when people claimed I was late for work. I used to point out to them that the 10 minutes or whatever they were talking about never really existed, so I was on time, or even early.

Why didn't I think of that (maybe I wouldn't have been fired)? :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I learned about this at 9am this morning. I'm not that invested, yet. Lol

Well, thanks for filling me in on what may be missing in history ... ! :cool:

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, thanks for filling me in on what may be missing in history ... ! :cool:

I like to help people know things they can't know because their false. It's not completely unlike my favorite part about hitting myself in the head with a hammer: stopping.
:rolleyes:

I have a lot more nonsense to share after this last cup of coffee.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like to help people know things they can't know because their false. It's not completely unlike my favorite part about hitting myself in the head with a hammer: stopping.
:rolleyes:

I have a lot more nonsense to share after this last cup of coffee.

I just finished my big'o cup'o coffee, so I'm ready for as much non-sense as you want to give us ... ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just finished my big'o cup'o coffee, so I'm ready for as much non-sense as you want to give us ... ^_^

I like my steaks extra medium.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah! I didn't think of that.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Wait a minute. So we have to do the millennium over?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

More seriously, I have wondered a few times in the last several months about why many seem drawn to conspiracy theories. The why part. What is it that makes them fall into that?

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
More seriously, I have wondered a few times in the last several months about why many seem drawn to conspiracy theories. The why part. What is it that makes them fall into that?

That's a really good question. I have wondered the same. I reckon there are several reasons. I do think some like the idea that they are "in the know" and are not being fooled like the rest of the population, i.e. sheep who blindly follow. It's like knowing a secret; it makes one feel special, important.

But now conspiracy theories have become politicized, which complicates the importance believing can have. People tend to wrap their self-identity in their political positions, especially these days. In the case of someone whose identity is closely aligned with their political beliefs, conspiracies assumed by that position will take on greater weight.

At any rate, I think what makes it so hard to reason with those who embrace conspiracies is that their reasons for believing are often non-epistemic. They believe because of how being "in the know" makes them feel, or how others in their political group embrace the same conspiracies, or how the conspiracy supports their religious beliefs, etc. Whatever the case, the reasons for believing might not be the result of careful assessment, but something more practical.

Of course, I have no idea if any of that is right. Lol

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a really good question. I have wondered the same. I reckon there are several reasons. I do think some like the idea that they are "in the know" and are not being fooled like the rest of the population, i.e. sheep who blindly follow. It's like knowing a secret; it makes one feel special, important.

But now conspiracy theories have become politicized, which complicates the importance believing can have. People tend to wrap their self-identity in their political positions, especially these days. In the case of someone whose identity is closely aligned with their political beliefs, conspiracies assumed by that position will take on greater weight.

At any rate, I think what makes it so hard to reason with those who embrace conspiracies is that their reasons for believing are often non-epistemic. They believe because of how being "in the know" makes them feel, or how others in their political group embrace the same conspiracies, or how the conspiracy supports their religious beliefs, etc. Whatever the case, the reasons for believing might not be the result of careful assessment, but something more practical.

... I'm just trying to think of the actual practicalities that could be involved in wishing away Charlemagne from the historical record. :scratch: ... c'mon, brain, think, THINK!!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Oh man, so many just picking what to believe because it only makes them more comfortable or feeling to be special or in the in-group? ah, man...

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

podcast cited here was enjoyable and covers a bit of that

Ong's Hat, anyone?

• Informative
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
... I'm just trying to think of the actual practicalities that could be involved in wishing away Charlemagne from the historical record. :scratch: ... c'mon, brain, think, THINK!!

The guy who came up with it is into revisionist history according to that wiki link. I mean, what a boon to have discovered that so many people had been fooled by the supposed existence of the Carolingian period! The practical benefits, assuming many people came on board, would be enormous! One's ego would benefit. It would be like discovering that Kierkegaard's writings were really authored by his brother Peter! Even if it weren't true, having tens of followers would feel great! Lol

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0