United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey everyone;

For the past few years I have been interested in Buddhism. My interest came during a very difficult period in my life, I have read several books on the subject, which have been very beneficial to me, and I feel very drawn to begin practicing. I am emailing a couple people in my area about going to a local group to actually meditate and learn. I do feel some resistance though from my christian upbringing. I also dont want to hang out with a bunch of hippies either. I am also concerned about my job (I'm in the military), which conflicts with Buddhist ethics.

Anyway, I thought I'd share whats up with my life and hopefully get some advice about things.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone;

For the past few years I have been interested in Buddhism. My interest came during a very difficult period in my life, I have read several books on the subject, which have been very beneficial to me....
Which books were helpful?

Upvote 0

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Buddhism believes that we are all part of Gaia and Gaia is part of us. Thus there is a devotion to nature. Thus starts a migration into the shamanist aspects of Buddhism. Watch out for mind-blanking meditation! This is a good way to open yourself to demons.

All four aspects of Yoga are used by several demonic religions to yoke people with demons, whether you believe in them or not. The various "gods" that have become attached to Buddhism are all demons.

Frankly, I think Prince Siddhartha would have become a Christian if he had come along at the right time. The rules he offered certainly weren't going to save anyone.

Upvote 0

Wedjat

Spirited Apostate
Aug 8, 2009
Home sweet home
✟18,807.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Buddhism believes that we are all part of Gaia and Gaia is part of us. Thus there is a devotion to nature. Thus starts a migration into the shamanist aspects of Buddhism. Watch out for mind-blanking meditation! This is a good way to open yourself to demons.

All four aspects of Yoga are used by several demonic religions to yoke people with demons, whether you believe in them or not. The various "gods" that have become attached to Buddhism are all demons.

Frankly, I think Prince Siddhartha would have become a Christian if he had come along at the right time. The rules he offered certainly weren't going to save anyone.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh boy, that's hilarious, thanks for the laugh.^_^

Upvote 0

Searching_for_Christ

simul justus et peccator
Nov 14, 2009
In my mind.
✟18,609.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally..I've explored Buddhism in my life before, and its just so not a good rout..mainly in that its no good substitute, it offers you no forgiveness for sins and such...its main goal would almost seem to have you live a good life, to be more happy..but whats important? being happy HERE? oooooor..what we should all be more concerned with, and that would be the afterlife and following God...I would advice against Buddhism.

Upvote 0

DharmaBum84

Dec 16, 2009
✟7,674.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship

The Gaia Hypothesis is a scientific theory. It has nothing to do with Buddhism.

There's also no such thing as "mind-blanking" meditation.

Buddhism has no god(s).

Lastly, the Eightfold Path provides guidelines very similar to those found in Christianity. As a Buddhist, I would argue that our "rules" are even more strict than those found in the Bible.

Upvote 0

DharmaBum84

Dec 16, 2009
✟7,674.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally..I've explored Buddhism in my life before, and its just so not a good rout..mainly in that its no good substitute, it offers you no forgiveness for sins and such...its main goal would almost seem to have you live a good life, to be more happy..but whats important? being happy HERE? oooooor..what we should all be more concerned with, and that would be the afterlife and following God...I would advice against Buddhism.

The primary goal within Buddhism is reaching Enlightenment and transcending to Nirvana. Secondary is helping other sentient beings achieve happiness and enlightenment. To say that Buddhism is simply about living a good life and being happy is a gross oversimplification of the Buddha's message. Given that we don't "know" if there's any place other than "here," it's perfectly reasonable to desire happiness here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DharmaBum84

Dec 16, 2009
✟7,674.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey everyone;

For the past few years I have been interested in Buddhism. My interest came during a very difficult period in my life, I have read several books on the subject, which have been very beneficial to me, and I feel very drawn to begin practicing. I am emailing a couple people in my area about going to a local group to actually meditate and learn. I do feel some resistance though from my christian upbringing. I also dont want to hang out with a bunch of hippies either. I am also concerned about my job (I'm in the military), which conflicts with Buddhist ethics.

Anyway, I thought I'd share whats up with my life and hopefully get some advice about things.

After clearing up some misconceptions, I'll now address your post.

No Buddhist Temple is going to turn you away or chastize you for being in the military. We are bound by our faith to practice kindness and compassion to all sentient beings. Should you encounter any hostility from your teachers or community, I'd recommend finding a new temple or new teachers.

That said, being a member of the military is not, by ethical standards, in keeping with the Eightfold Path, which includes Right Livelihood. Right Livelihood is interpreted to exclude making profit by trading weapons, trading human beings (slavery), selling intoxicating drinks/narcotics/poisons, or killing animals. Being a member of the military is also in contradiction with Right Action, which also forbids killing. Followers of the Dharma, however, will not blatently proselyte this aspect (or any aspect, really) of the Eightfold Path to you (should you ever feel that you are being proselytized to, I would again suggest finding a new community and/or new teachers). Were you to ask a teacher of the Dharma, it's likely that your military status would be considered a hindrance to your attainment of enlightenment. It's also doubtful that you'll be allowed to take your Bodhisattva precepts (should you wish to do so) as a soldier. However, your karmic choices are yours and yours alone, and will be respected as such.

What concerns me the most about your post is that you don't want to "hang out with a bunch of hippies." The Dharma expects that you treat all sentient beings with kindness and compassion. This involves not passing judgement. Again, were you to make such a comment in the presence of a Buddhist, it's unlikely that it would invite hostility or debate (I'm speaking from my experiences, of course), but it might be percieved as a sort of blantant disregard for the Dharma. Right View is to see and accept things as they are - to grasp the impermanent and imperfect nature of worldly objects and ideas. The idea of "hippies" is a wordly concept. Compartmentalizing people by wordly stereotypes will, in essence, prevent you from attaining Right View, which is arguably the most crucial component of practicing the Dharma. If you resist releasing yourself from "worldly ideas" (like stereotypes), you will have great difficultly understanding and practicing other aspects of the faith.

I greatly encourage you to learn and explore, but understand that the Buddhist Path is tolerant by nature, and you may find yourself at odds with its doctrine if you do not practice without an open heart and mind (in other words, you will not reap the full rewards that the Dharma has to offer you).

Please understand that it is difficult to express myself as a follower of the Dharma with regard to your concerns, as it requires me to occupy a mindscape that is not free of judgement. I hope that you'll understand that I am only reiterating certain tenants that we abide by, and hypothesizing potential problems that you may have with it based on the personal concerns you have expressed in your post.

That said, even if you choose not to accept the Dharma as your presiding "life view," I believe it has much to offer to people of all faiths (even people of no faith). Buddhism does not require that you relinquish your affiliations with other religions. There are many followers of the Dharma who incorporate aspects of other faiths (so long as they are not contradictory to Buddhism). I, for example, incorporate aspects of Voodoo and Sikhism, which I'm willing to expound upon should you so desire. But there are people within my Temple that very much identify themselves with Christianity, Islam, Judaism, et al. I even know people who openly identify themselves as "Christian Buddhists." I'm sure that there are plenty of people here on CF who would deny that such a thing exists, but I personally feel that, within the context of religion, you are whatever you say you are. The majority of Buddhists consider such labels worldly, and therefore inherently flawed by their impermanence and imperfection. This is why most Buddhists will refer to themselves as followers of the Dharma, as opposed to Buddhists. You can be of another faith and still follow the Dharma.

In short, I think it's important for every individual to find his or her own path. This may mean building one that is entirely unique unto itself. It's YOUR faith. It's YOUR salvation/enlightenment. Go with your heart. The convictions of others are of little use if your heart is not as equally committed as theirs. I think all religions would agree that posturing is not faith. You must actually believe to reap the benefits of any path.

I hope that you find my post helpful. My deepest apologies if I have offended you by anything that I have said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RealityPixie

Space Cadet
Nov 4, 2009
✟8,110.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Hiya;

I also flirted with the idea of buddhism a couple years ago and while I found a lot of the spiritual elements alluring, I just couldn't break that skeptic erge that seems imbedded in us atheists :p

It is a great and pretty interesting religion to explore (although, from what I've heard, it isn'ts technically a religion, correct me if I'm wrong). Things like meditation are great tools that you can use in your everyday life, even without a spiritual goal. It also provides new and enlightening ways of looking at the world and your own life, which can be of great benifit (they certainly were for me!)

And exploration of such a path would probably be benificial to you. Even if, like me, you don't end up following it entirely, you may just take some wonderful things out of your experience.

PS: don't be afraid of hippies, we are usually pretty cool.

Upvote 0

DharmaBum84

Dec 16, 2009
✟7,674.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hiya;

I also flirted with the idea of buddhism a couple years ago and while I found a lot of the spiritual elements alluring, I just couldn't break that skeptic erge that seems imbedded in us atheists :p

It is a great and pretty interesting religion to explore (although, from what I've heard, it isn'ts technically a religion, correct me if I'm wrong). Things like meditation are great tools that you can use in your everyday life, even without a spiritual goal. It also provides new and enlightening ways of looking at the world and your own life, which can be of great benifit (they certainly were for me!)

And exploration of such a path would probably be benificial to you. Even if, like me, you don't end up following it entirely, you may just take some wonderful things out of your experience.

Academically speaking, Buddhism is considered a religion due to the presence of ritual and doctrine. Not academically speaking, I think "Buddhism" is whatever the individual wants it to be. The Dharma is something entirely different. The Dharma is a prescribed set of guidelines that, if followed, will free the individual from suffering.

Upvote 0

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've read about Buddhism before, but I prefer Hinduism because Hinduism emphasizes devotion to God, the Supreme Being, while Buddhism is simply about perfecting yourself. Steven J. Rosen, a Hindu author who is a member of ISKCON, describes Buddhism as a pre-theistic message. However, Hindus accept Buddha as the ninth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.

While Buddhism believes in various gods, bodhisattvas and Buddhas (buddha in Sanskrit means 'enlightened one' and everyone has the potential to become a Buddha according to Buddhism), it doesn't say anything about a Supreme Being the way Hinduism and Christianity does. While various gods and goddesses have been incorporated into Buddhism, none of them are Supreme.

I've visited several Buddhist temples, including one in Thailand with a 46m long statue of the Reclining Buddha, and one in Singapore with a tooth of the Buddha, and I can honestly say that they are very beautiful.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
After clearing up some misconceptions, I'll now address your post.

No Buddhist Temple is going to turn you away or chastize you for being in the military. We are bound by our faith to practice kindness and compassion to all sentient beings. Should encounter any hostility from your teachers or community, I'd recommend finding a new temple or new teachers.

That said, being a member of the military is not, by ethical standards, in keeping with the Eightfold Path, which includes Right Livelihood. Right Livelihood is interpreted to exclude making profit by trading weapons, trading human beings (slavery), selling intoxicating drinks/narcotics/poisons, or killing animals. Being a member of the military is also in contradiction with Right Action, which also forbids killing. Followers of the Dharma, however, will not blatently proselyte this aspect (or any aspect, really) of the Eightfold Path to you (should you ever feel that you are being proselytized to, I would again suggest finding a new community and/or new teachers). Were you to ask a teacher of the Dharma, it's likely that your military status would be considered a hindrance to your attainment of enlightenment. It's also doubtful that you'll be allowed to take your Bodhisattva precepts (should you wish to do so) as a soldier. However, your karmic choices are yours and yours alone, and will be respected as such.

What concerns me the most about your post is that you don't want to "hang out with a bunch of hippies." The Dharma expects that you treat all sentient beings with kindness and compassion. This involves not passing judgement. Again, were you to make such a comment in the presence of a Buddhist, it's unlikely that it would invite hostility or debate (I'm speaking from my experiences, of course), but it might be percieved as a sort of blantant disregard for the Dharma. Right View is to see and accept things as they are - to grasp the impermanent and imperfect nature of worldly objects and ideas. The idea of "hippies" is a wordly concept. Compartmentalizing people by wordly stereotypes will, in essence, prevent you from attaining Right View, which is arguably the most crucial component of practicing the Dharma. If you resist releasing yourself from "worldly ideas" (like stereotypes), you will have great difficultly understanding and practicing other aspects of the faith.

I greatly encourage you to learn and explore, but understand that the Buddhist Path is tolerant by nature, and you may find yourself at odds with its doctrine if you do not practice without an open heart and mind (in other words, you will not reap the full rewards that the Dharma has to offer you).

Please understand that it is difficult to express myself as a follower of the Dharma with regard to your concerns, as it requires me to occupy a mindscape that is not free of judgement. I hope that you'll understand that I am only reiterating certain tenants that we abide by, and hypothesizing potential problems that you may have with it based on the personal concerns you have expressed in your post.

That said, even if you choose not to accept the Dharma as your presiding "life view," I believe it has much to offer to people of all faiths (even people of no faith). Buddhism does not require that you relinquish your affiliations with other religions. There are many followers of the Dharma who incorporate aspects of other faiths (so long as they are not contradictory to Buddhism). I, for example, incorporate aspects of Voodoo and Sikhism, which I'm willing to expound upon should you so desire. But there are people within my Temple that very much identify themselves with Christianity, Islam, Judaism, et al. I even know people who openly identify themselves as "Christian Buddhists." I'm sure that there are plenty of people here on CF who would deny that such a thing exists, but I personally feel that, within the context of religion, you are whatever you say you are. The majority of Buddhists consider such labels worldly, and therefore inherently flawed by their impermanence and imperfection. This is why most Buddhists will refer to themselves as followers of the Dharma, as opposed to Buddhists. You can be of another faith and still follow the Dharma.

In short, I think it's important for every individual to find his or her own path. This may mean building one that is entirely unique unto itself. It's YOUR faith. It's YOUR salvation/enlightenment. Go with your heart. The convictions of others are of little use if your heart is not as equally committed as theirs. I think all religions would agree that posturing is not faith. You must actually believe to reap the benefits of any path.

I hope that you find my post helpful. My deepest apologies if I have offended you by anything that I have said.
DharmaBum;

Thank you for writing. I appreciate your insight.

Allow me to alloborate on my situation. My job does not have my on the front lines, I am in the Air Force and I work in a command center behind a desk. While I am not directly engaged in action, I recognize I am apart of an organization that leads to death and destruction. The man from the local Buddhist group I am emailing included a great quote that said Dharma practice is all about minimizing non-virtuous actions and maximizing virtous ones. This really appeals to me and I feel it is someone I can do in my job.

I also remember reading an anecdote about the life of the Buddha. In one of his past lives he worked on a ship and one night a man was planning to kill the other members of the crew. The Buddha killed the man both out of a desire to save the other men and to save the would-be killer from the negative karma. While any kind of killing is wrong and brings with it negitive karma a person's intentions are also important.

Also, I wanted to say that I regret my 'hippie' comment. That really was not my intention. I was trying to say that I hope there are people I can relate with since I am somewhat of a 'square'. I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You make an interesting point, but I believe Buddhism touches very much on the idea of sin and achieving freedom from it. When someone does something wrong they will have the negative conscequences of it returned to them, usually in the form of negative emotional states. In order to achieve freedom from that the Buddha set forth the 8-fold path.

I really disagree with you on your second point, the issue of happiness in this life is very important and one that all people seek out. People who are happy are better to those around them, are more productive, less selfish and healthier. In Buddhism the aim is to not just be happy for one's own sake but to use it to benefit others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP

Respectfully you don't have any aparant understanding of Buddhism. Gaia is a Greek Pagan concept, NOT a Buddhist one.

Buddhism doesn't place much importance on any divinity and would be as inclined as anyone to deny demons access to our lives. Indeed we would perform exorcisms of any demon just as do other religions.

Siddharta Gautama did not believe in a Creator God and would not have followed the monotheists Jesus.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Hiya;

It is a monotheist premise that Buddhism is not a religion because they can not grasp a religion with no God. Buddhism is of course a religion with temples, scripture, Tradition, clergy, rites, and members.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
My guess is that the story about the Buddha in a prior life was a tale to illustrate a point. The point being that there are not simple answers to ethical dilemmas. Another way to translate the 8-fold path is 'superior' rather than 'right' or 'higher'. "right speech" is more than simply refrain from lying. "Right livelihood" could be seen as prohibiting banking because it is usury or as a benefit if it is aiding people in their financial security. It is not as simplistic a system as the Christian concept of sin.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Is this a comedy routine? Seriously, I can't tell.

I'm not a Buddhist, but I do know something about it.

- I have never seen a single Buddhist or article on Buddhism talk about "Gaia" in the context of Buddhism.

- There is no devotion to nature as such. There may be a devotion to reducing suffering among sentients. Thus there is no "shamanistic" aspect to Buddhism.

- There is no mind-blanking meditation, except in the sense practiced by Christians (e.g., monastics) when they pray and quiet their minds.

- Buddhism is not Yoga. Why are you talking about Yoga?

- Buddhism liberates people, and thus could be thought to save them from ignorance and suffering.

If you weren't simply trying to be funny, I think you should consider the idea that you've been spoonfed a lot of propaganda designed to reduce your interest in Buddhism, in order to keep you within the fold. The propaganda seems to have worked, because if you had seriously investigated Buddhism on your own, you would see that you had been misled.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Buddhism believes that we are all part of Gaia and Gaia is part of us.
Eh? "Gaia" is not a buddhist concept. The term is derived from the GREEK earth goddess.

Thus there is a devotion to nature.
Which, of course, is a horrid thing!!! (Totally ignoring that the Gaia-hypothesis isn't a part of Buddhism to begin with.)
Thus starts a migration into the shamanist aspects of Buddhism.
Okay, now I've seen it all. "Shamanist aspects of Buddhism"! (At best, it could be claimed that Tibetan Buddhism incorporates some influences from a Pre-Buddhist Tibetan culture - but nothing that would qualify as downright shamanic.

Watch out for mind-blanking meditation! This is a good way to open yourself to demons.
Yeah, and watch out for tennis socks, too! Their static charge attracts demons like nothing else!

Aaaah, the stupid! It burnses us!
Yoga isn't BUDDHIST.

Upvote 0