Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, they actually have "militant orthodoxy" in their Statement of Beliefs. I think that would be our dividing line right there.

Lisa
It's actauly it's a bit of understatment from what I have seen from alot of them but I doubt anyone is going to refer to themselves as deranged and paranoid.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's actauly it's a bit of understatment from what I haves seen from alot of them but I doubt anyone is going to refer to themselves as deranged and paranoid.

Well, I agree. I grew up with them. I am so fortunate to have found a Baptist church that does not have that attitude. There is a faction of people within the church, but the pastor contols it. (My uncle! ;) ) So, when they get out of hand, he puts a stop to it.

Lisa

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I agree. I grew up with them. I am so fortunate to have found a Baptist church that does not have that attitude. There is a faction of people within the church, but the pastor contols it. (My uncle! ;) ) So, when they get out of hand, he puts a stop to it.

Lisa

Yeah well ones that used to belong to my church they since left believe that could be good Wholsome Christian to the tool of satan simply by changing instruments from organ to those of a more contemporary nature.

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah well ones that used to belong to my church they since left believe that could be good Wholsome Christian to the tool of satan simply by changing instruments from organ to those of a more contemporary nature.
thats the problem with tradition. . . if a tradition has a good meaning benind it (by Good i mean it brings glory to God) then it's good. if a tradition doesnt have a good meaning behind it then it's worthless, and can actually cause harm.

Reactions: hazeleyes80
Upvote 0

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 8, 2005
Ohio
✟18,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see why they have to conflict. Maybe I'm not defining it right, but I consider myself to be both.

It was my understanding that every fundamentalist would be a conservative, but the opposite isn't true, like how in geometry, every square is always a rectangle, but every rectangle isn't a square.

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't see why they have to conflict. Maybe I'm not defining it right, but I consider myself to be both.

It was my understanding that every fundamentalist would be a conservative, but the opposite isn't true, like how in geometry, every square is always a rectangle, but every rectangle isn't a square.

like i said, combine them and call it "born again" forum. . . . if only people wouldn't get mad. . . huuuugh.

nice signature by the way.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thats the problem with tradition. . . if a tradition has a good meaning benind it (by Good i mean it brings glory to God) then it's good. if a tradition doesnt have a good meaning behind it then it's worthless, and can actually cause harm.

The problem I have found at least with some when it comes to tradition it becomes like a false god to them they become far more concerned with following the traditions than with serving the Lord.

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem I have found at least with some when it comes to tradition it becomes like a false god to them they become far more concerned with following the traditions than with serving the Lord.

yep, right on. but tradition isn't just inherent to fundamentalism, unwillingness to let go of the things of this world even when it becomes a hinderence to your walk can fall into the same catagory. compramising the scriptures, God, and brothers and sisters in Christ is always bad no matter how heavy the load of consequence will be on our shoulders.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
yep, right on. but tradition isn't just inherent to fundamentalism, unwillingness to let go of the things of this world even when it becomes a hinderence to your walk can fall into the same catagory. compramising the scriptures, God, and brothers and sisters in Christ is always bad no matter how heavy the load of consequence will be on our shoulders.
I didn't mean to imply that it was exclusive to fundamentalist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well, they actually have "militant orthodoxy" in their Statement of Beliefs. I think that would be our dividing line right there.
Division indeed. And with that I make my exit from this forum. There ya go. One less horrible fundie trying to get in the way of whatever you guys have planned here. Congrats to all of you. You win.
I for one have read quite enough gross and pathetic generalizations of fundies. Looks like everyone here is allowed to pick at us, but we're not allowed to say a thing because we're not "true conservatives", we're just a bunch of mindless law enforcers.

Reactions: hazeleyes80
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By reading through this thread, I saw more than a few statements generalizing and attacking Fundamentalists. This is very sad and unfortunate, since I am an independent fundamental baptist, and I am also a staunch, firm, and steadfast conservative. Due to the extreme right wing of the Fundamentalists, not only the general public, but also apparently the Conservatives of this Forum have fallen prey to the media's portrayal of all fundies as being whacked out militant Christians. I expect the lost unsaved people to be deceived by this, but clearly I did NOT expect Christian Conservatives to also believe that deception.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
that is a false, or at least an over generalized statement based upon one person's observation. Please do not insult all fundamentalists like this. Fundamentalists and Conservatives should be and really ought to be close allies and friends. WE have so very much in common, so why drive away Fundies because of your perceptions of a small and limited minority of Fundies?

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Is the belief in Pre-Tribulation a tenent of Fundementalism?

A good question and if you do not mind I will use this as a chance to set forth some points about the whole conservative/fundamentalist thing. The quick answer is that no belief in Pre-Tribulation is not a tenent of Fundementalism although some fundamentalists would hold to it.

The key question to ask is where did fundamentalism arise from? The term "fundamentalist" was used first in 1920 by Curtis Lee Laws to describe someone who defended the historic doctrines of the Christian faith over and against the modernists who denied the inspiration of Scripture, the deity of Christ and the truth of miracles.

Historically the term was used to describe someone who held to the five fundamentals of the faith which were adopted by the Presbyterian Church in the USA in 1910. These included the virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection of Christ, the inspiration of Scripture and the miracles of Christ.

Hence fundamentalism stood for the historic fundamentals of the Christian faith which were then propounded in greater depth in The Fundamentals which included the work of B. B. Warfield who was a professor at Princeton Seminary and a Presbyterian.

J. Gresham Machen was also involved in the movement and wrote Christianity and Liberalism. He led a number of Princeton Seminary professors to form Westminster Theological Seminary in 1929 which stood for historic conservative Christianity.

These then were characteristic of the first fundamentalists. They were nothing more than orthodox Protestants who adhered to the Westminster Confession of Faith.

Hence according to the Encyclopædia Britannica fundamentalism was a "movement in American Protestantism that arose in the late 19th century in reaction to theological modernism, which aimed to revise traditional Christian beliefs to accommodate new developments in the natural and social sciences, especially the advent of the theory of biological evolution. In keeping with traditional Christian doctrines concerning biblical interpretation, the mission of Jesus Christ, and the role of the church in society, fundamentalists affirmed a core of Christian beliefs that included the historical accuracy of the Bible, the imminent and physical Second Coming of Jesus Christ, and Christ's Virgin Birth, Resurrection (see resurrection), and Atonement (see atonement)."

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fundamentalists tend to believe in the inerrancy of the Bible and in Scripture alone or sola scriptura. Conservatives, on the other hand, don't generally believe in the absolute inerrancy of the Bible and sometimes not in sola scriptura. Fundamentalists tend to not include the Orthodox, Anglicans, Oriental Orthodox, and Catholics. Conservative Christians on the other hand do include these groups.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Fundamentalists tend to believe in the inerrancy of the Bible and in Scripture alone or sola scriptura. Conservatives, on the other hand, don't generally believe in the absolute inerrancy of the Bible and sometimes not in sola scriptura. Fundamentalists tend to not include the Orthodox, Anglicans, Oriental Orthodox, and Catholics. Conservative Christians on the other hand do include these groups.

This is historically false. :)

Now it is correct that there are conservative Anglicans, Baptists, Catholics, Orthodox etc but fundamentalism is a subset of conservative Christianity.

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is historically false. :)

Now it is correct that there are conservative Anglicans, Baptists, Catholics, Orthodox etc but fundamentalism is a subset of conservative Christianity.
these are the rules from the Fundamentalist Forum as they now stand as to what you have to believe
Fundamentalist: (Defined by the World Congress of Fundamentalists in 1976)

A born-again believer in the Lord Jesus Christ who
  1. Maintains an immovable allegiance to the inerrant, infallible, and verbally Inspired Bible;
  2. Believes whatever the Bible says is so;
  3. Judges all things by the Bible, and is judged only by the Bible, aka - "Sola Scriptura";
  4. Affirms the foundational truths of the historic Christian Faith:
    • The doctrine of the Trinity
    • The incarnation, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection, ascension into Heaven, and Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ
    • The new birth through regeneration of the Holy Spirit
    • The resurrection of saints to life eternal
    • The resurrection of the ungodly to final judgment and eternal death
    • The fellowship of the saints, who are the body of Christ;
  5. Practices fidelity to that faith, and endeavors to preach it to every creature;
  6. Exposes and separates from all ecclesiastical denial of that Faith, compromise with error, and apostasy from the Truth; and
  7. Earnestly contends for the Faith once delivered.
Therefore, Fundamentalism is a militant orthodoxy with a soulwinning zeal. While Fundamentalists may differ on certain interpretations of Scripture, we join in unity of heart and common purpose for the defense of the Faith and the preaching of the Gospel, without compromise or division.

essentially then that means that they do affirm that Sola Scriptura is how all things are judged and they deny that of Tradition altogether

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
these are the rules from the Fundamentalist Forum as they now stand as to what you have to believe

And most importantly, I do not think Conservatives consider themselves "militant orthodoxy". That language alone disqualifies a Fundementalist from Conservativism as is written in the Conservative Statement of Beliefs.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This statemement has merit and is accurate not false.

Upvote 0