Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You left out Rule # 5 which IS the dividing line between Fundamentalist and Conservatives.

Rule five:

5) Truth and Love are both God's character. All truth can be expressed in love. When addressing others in the forum we should hold ourselves accountable to the belief that all people are created in God's image, and as such deserve a basic level of respect, regardless of their deeds. This is not meant to muzzle honest discourse or comment, but to remind that all truth, must be expressed in love. Therefore, Conservative Christians may not flame visitors but rather seek to reason with them with an attitude of service and love.

Now I am unable to see how this is a dividing line.

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who's definition is this?

BTW: Would you call J I Packer a Fundamentalist?
the freedictionary online would you rather I use merriam webster I can use that

are you going to question everyone's motives around here just because you can

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rule five:

5) Truth and Love are both God's character. All truth can be expressed in love. When addressing others in the forum we should hold ourselves accountable to the belief that all people are created in God's image, and as such deserve a basic level of respect, regardless of their deeds. This is not meant to muzzle honest discourse or comment, but to remind that all truth, must be expressed in love. Therefore, Conservative Christians may not flame visitors but rather seek to reason with them with an attitude of service and love.

Now I am unable to see how this is a dividing line.

There is just no kind way to say it. I don't want to flame anyone, not a person nor a group. It is just my opinion that conservatives tend to tender their words very carefully while fundies may not always worry about that.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
There is just no kind way to say it. I don't want to flame anyone, not a person nor a group. It is just my opinion that conservatives tend to tender their words very carefully while fundies may not always worry about that.

Lisa

That is not a doctrinal difference now is it? There are people of all different temperments in all different denominations and viewpoints.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
the freedictionary online would you rather I use merriam webster I can use that

are you going to question everyone's motives around here just because you can

I just wanted to know who's definition you were using. :)

BTW: Would you call the Anglican J I Packer a Fundamentalist?

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In 1978, he signed the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, which affirmed a conservative position on Biblical inerrancy.

I never said anywhere that Fundamentalist should not be allowed in this forum nor did I say that they were not Conservatives, we simply are saying that our opening statment should be something that includes all conservatives not just some

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is not a doctrinal difference now is it? There are people of all different temperments in all different denominations and viewpoints.

I don't know. I think it is a doctrinal thing. Again, this cannot be discussed without the potential for offense, and I am really trying not to do that. However, it seems that we see "love" as two different things. Conservatives see speaking truth in love by demonstrating it and never ever using truth to hurt someone. Fundementalists see speaking truth in love as more of a ,"I am sorry if this offends you, but these are the facts! It would be more harmful to keep the truth from you than to hurt your feelings by telling you in a very direct manner".

It is not that Conservatives are wishy-washy about truth by no means. However, delievery of truth is considered as critical as the truth itself.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In 1978, he signed the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, which affirmed a conservative position on Biblical inerrancy.

I never said anywhere that Fundamentalist should not be allowed in this forum nor did I say that they were not Conservatives, we simply are saying that our opening statment should be something that includes all conservatives not just some

Now we are getting somewhere :clap:

The question is what is it that you are using as the determinative factor of being a conservative?

Is it an approach to Scriptural interpretation?

Is it an approach to issues of morality? (this is where I see this forum going inevitably). Because Fundamentalists are Conservative Christians and they affirm that Scripture is the final authority in matters of faith and morals and Roman Catholics are also Conservative Christians and affirm Scripture and Tradition the only basis for rules in the Conservative Forum is to focus on what both agree on i.e. Scripture.

Therefore the rules must be stripped to its basics (dare I say its fundamentals). The only thing they agree on is that Scripture is authoritative in matters of faith and morals hence this is where the rules should begin. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now we are getting somewhere :clap:

The question is what is it that you are using as the determinative factor of being a conservative?

Is it an approach to Scriptural interpretation?

Is it an approach to issues of morality? (this is where I see this forum going inevitably). Because Fundamentalists are Conservative Christians and they affirm that Scripture is the final authority in matters of faith and morals and Roman Catholics are also Conservative Christians and affirm Scripture and Tradition the only basis for rules in the Conservative Forum is to focus on what both agree on i.e. Scripture.

Therefore the rules must be stripped to its basics (dare I say its fundamentals). The only thing they agree on is that Scripture is authoritative in matters of faith and morals hence this is where the rules should begin. :)

And they have...However, there is no need for a unique forum if we are really all just Fundies. We aren't. I am not. Roman Catholics are not going to agree to Bible only. That is another difference.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This where I disagree I think that Tradituion should also be a key element used because it is with Apostolic Christians which takes in a great number of the Conservatives on this board and they are not just Catholic....

They are in the following
Old Anglican
Catholic
Old Catholic
TAW
Oriental TAW

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Lisa
How nice and sweetly delvered was that viewpoint, huh?

Seems to me you just defined yourself as a Fundamentalist dear.

JR Conservative Catholic by this forums definitions so far

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Roman Catholics are not going to agree to Bible only.

Hence my suggestion of stating something along the lines of "Scripture is authoritative in matters of faith and morals" for both agree on this and any more will mean disagreement. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How nice and sweetly delvered was that viewpoint, huh?

Seems to me you just defined yourself as a Fundamentalist dear.

JR Conservative Catholic by this forums definitions so far

I was trying not to offend...Sometimes there can be no help for it. I guess what I am getting at is a pattern of offending rather than a single occurance here or there.

Lisa

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
This where I disagree I think that Tradituion should also be a key element used because it is with Apostolic Christians which takes in a great number of the Conservatives on this board and they are not just Catholic

But do you accept Scripture as authoritative?

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was trying not to offend...Sometimes there can be no help for it. I guess what I am getting at is a pattern of offending rather than a single occurance here or there.

Lisa
Lisa cubanito is a Liberal from the Liberal forum ..... be careful

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This where I disagree I think that Tradituion should also be a key element used because it is with Apostolic Christians which takes in a great number of the Conservatives on this board and they are not just Catholic....

They are in the following
Old Anglican
Catholic
Old Catholic
TAW
Oriental TAW
Now THAT is the first sensible discriminative posted so far!

How far the role of tradition should govern sounds like exactly what y'all are searching for.

Anyone using a "nasty meter" to differentiate Fundys from Conservatives would automatically register high on the meter themselves. A historical approach, such as the very fair postings by AV1611, which basically would devolve into a list is also "nasty neutral."

Frankly I wish you'd all close up shop and join us in the Fundy forum, but if this is your wish (and I can certainly understand it) you ought be careful w your definitions. I, for example, take great offense that the OBOB site wants to appropiate the ancient term "Catholic" to themselves. As this site acknowledges, anyone affirming the ancient creeds necessarily affirms they are Catholic.

I am actually quite interested how the RCs are going to aquiesce to not being the One True Church, the only Catholics, ect ect ect. You want to talk "nasty meters?" Run some of the exclusivity titles of the RCC on it and see.

Now, asking a particular person, such as a foul smelling, careless, obese and intemperate Hippo to leave would be quite fair. If you plan to run a china shop, you ask Hippos to leave. But you also asks even bigger and natier beasts to leave also, even if they wear a wool sweater for disguise.

JR, the man w the most accurate avatar

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lisa cubanito is a Liberal from the Liberal forum ..... be careful

WHAT?!?!?!? Me a liberal???

I'm turning green from the thought.

Excuse me while I violently expel my stomach contents...

OK, I feel better now.

Nasty, foul, divisive, lewd, disgusting, even (pardon my language) that most disgusting of epithets in modern times: fundamentalist

Sure, OK, I'm all that and worse.

But LIBERAL!!

I'm sorry, I'm turning another shade of green, I think it's my gallbladder I needs empty now....

Upvote 0