Conservative social media site Gab BANNED from three Banks in three weeks due to media smears

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For instance you cannot decide not to serve Chinese people.

For making laws, yes.

We're trying to balance out competing values:
1. freedom (including to discriminate however you please)
2. economic access (market participation should not be denied to people)

Society seems to respect freedom up to the point of denying people access based on who they fundamentally are. Thats the balance we've struck.

Seems to be contradicting.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What if they are Chinese with ideological differences and claim you are turning them away because you are racist towards Chinese?

It is a slippery slope.
Sounds like youre making an argument that we should eliminate discrimination based on any factor.... because it might lead down the slippery slope to racial discrimination ....?

I think that would err too much against freedom. But I'm open to hearing an argument.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Seems to be contradicting.
Try this part.
For making laws, yes.

Society seems to respect freedom up to the point of denying people market access based on who they fundamentally are. Thats the balance we've struck.

Added to market access is a broader goal of some sort of social harmony, recognizing that racial discrimination has been a disaster both morally and practically for our country. So we draw the line there. You want to discriminate on any other basis, ok go for it, even if its distasteful. But we've had enough of racial discrimination.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We are all made in God’s image. Because of that, no one person is better than another.

Which would mean in his eyes, all three instances were wrong.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What if they are Chinese with ideological differences and claim you are turning them away because you are racist towards Chinese?

It is a slippery slope.

One would hope the truth would be an adequate defense.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We're still assuming some sort of political persecution here...

Gab wants to be the next Parler. The last Parler was used as an echo chamber for The Big Lie, and a drawing board for the 1/6 insurrection attempt...

...sure, let's do that again...

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m not engaging in theological debates. I’m proclaiming that Christ is King, even over American Politics.

Both Christians and atheists on these forums have a tendency to turn topic into arguments about God and/or morality even when that is not the original intention. It never goes anywhere and it tends to polarize issues into atheist/theist divides when they shouldn't be. The topic of the thread is about Gab and the banks, and a Christian can be on either side of that issue. I don't like it when people try to politicize Christianity (implying that Christians have to vote one way or another, or have to support or oppose certain policies that aren't even mentioned in the Bible).

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
After thinking about this, it is very troubling to me not that a bank had a reason to not do business with people that they disagreed with primarily but that it was about the speech content of the business.

...and the history of this type of business.

Where did a social media platform like this lead to last time? Straight up the Capitol steps.

You want to bankroll the next coup attempt?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian

Where did a social media platform like this lead to last time? Straight up the Capitol steps.

Must be a poor stupid coup if it is one. Where are all the guns in this.... trying to take over a place that has an armed force with no guns is idiotic as you cannot hold it vs even a parking meter maid with a 38 on her belt.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Must be a poor stupid coup if it is one. Where are all the guns in this.... trying to take over a place that has an armed force with no guns is idiotic as you cannot hold it vs even a parking meter maid with a 38 on her belt.

Perhaps Gab is where they'll learn from their mistakes.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Perhaps Gab is where they'll learn from their mistakes.
I doubt it. I think we have an elite class now totally entrenched financially in politics such that they can afford to do things that would appear to cost them money as they will get kickbacks from corrupt politicians to more than recompense them for their deeds. Amazon kicked Parler off their servers and ironic that Biden and company have are considering them to deliver C19 vaccine instead of UPS FEDEX or USPS. That could be a ton of money for Amazon a lot more than they would lose from Parler and the fallout over it. Billionaires are no longer worried about losing money to bad decisions as long as they have paid for politicians that will toss them a bone and the Dems now own the boneyard.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
For making laws, yes.

Society seems to respect freedom up to the point of denying people market access based on who they fundamentally are. Thats the balance we've struck.

Added to market access is a broader goal of some sort of social harmony, recognizing that racial discrimination has been a disaster both morally and practically for our country. So we draw the line there. You want to discriminate on any other basis, ok go for it, even if its distasteful. But we've had enough of racial discrimination.
If society decides that discrimination is good, are you good with that?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I doubt it.

I can understand your skepticism, but I assure you that Donald's supporters are indeed capable of learning from their mistake... up to a point, that is.

I think we have an elite class now totally entrenched financially in politics such that they can afford to do things that would appear to cost them money as they will get kickbacks from corrupt politicians to more than recompense them for their deeds.

Sounds like the sort of thing a Real American should get angry over...

...maybe even the sort of thing a Real American ought to do something about...

Amazon kicked Parler off their servers and ironic that Biden and company have are considering them to deliver C19 vaccine instead of UPS FEDEX or USPS. That could be a ton of money for Amazon a lot more than they would lose from Parler and the fallout over it. Billionaires are no longer worried about losing money to bad decisions as long as they have paid for politicians that will toss them a bone and the Dems now own the boneyard.

Well, as a great American once said, "We fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore."

Care to take him up on his words...

... again?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We're still assuming some sort of political persecution here...

Gab wants to be the next Parler. The last Parler was used as an echo chamber for The Big Lie, and a drawing board for the 1/6 insurrection attempt...

...sure, let's do that again...
Don’t forget Twitter and Facebook.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Both Christians and atheists on these forums have a tendency to turn topic into arguments about God and/or morality even when that is not the original intention. It never goes anywhere and it tends to polarize issues into atheist/theist divides when they shouldn't be. The topic of the thread is about Gab and the banks, and a Christian can be on either side of that issue. I don't like it when people try to politicize Christianity (implying that Christians have to vote one way or another, or have to support or oppose certain policies that aren't even mentioned in the Bible).
I don’t like it when Christians are ashamed to say that Christ is King and has all authority, even over this situation.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Don’t forget about Twitter and Facebook.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If society decides that discrimination is good, are you good with that?
My point wasnt about which choice I think is right. Its just about showing how discriminating based on behavior and discriminating based on innate characteristics like race are different questions to some extent.

Reactions: Skewpoint
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I can understand your skepticism, but I assure you that Donald's supporters are indeed capable of learning from their mistake... up to a point, that is.
I must have misunderstood you in that I thought you were talking about the banks learning from doing something so drastic... NOT those who are essentially canceled by those who side with the left against them.
Sounds like the sort of thing a Real American should get angry over...

...maybe even the sort of thing a Real American ought to do something about...
Too bad we aren't electing many "Real Americans" these days, we only seem to be castigating them when they do appear.
Well, as a great American once said, "We fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore."
Now most the MSM says "we lie like hell and if you don't lie like hell you aren't going to have a country any more.
Care to take him up on his words...

... again?
I already did..... I voted for Trump... twice and he fought like hell and hell came after him and is still coming after him and he is still fighting and if he loses we may not have a country any more.

Upvote 0