Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
cherubs said:
Which Orthodox Church do you believe is the most conservative? (ie headcovering, traditional..) There are several around me in my new area, but my husband & I are not sure which one we should attend. Thanks! :)

Generally, that would be ROCOR.

Upvote 0
R

Rilian

Probably either the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (Rocor), or parishes of the Jerusalem Patriarchate of which there are only a few in this country.

I think it might be more appropriate to say Rocor is in irregular status. They are in direct communion (meaning their priests will concelebrate) with the Serbian and Jerusalem Patriarchates. Faithful from other jurisidictions can commune at Rocor churches provided it is approved by priests at both churches. Rocor is also in talks to reestablish formal relations with the Russian Church.

Those are probably the generalizations. There can be variance at individual parishes in every jurisdiction.

[Welcome to TAW by the way!]

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Philip said:
My first guess would be ROCOR, but they are in schism. After that, my experience (Antiochian and OCA) is that they are roughly the same.

The ROCOR schism for all intents and purposes is basically over. It will be officially over by the end of the year or early next year when the parishes vote to ratify the bishops decision to recommune with the Moscow Patriarchate.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Michael the Iconographer said:
The ROCOR schism for all intents and purposes is basically over. It will be officially over by the end of the year or early next year when the parishes vote to ratify the bishops decision to recommune with the Moscow Patriarchate.

ROCOR never was schismatic.

It has always been in communion, at the very least, with the Serbian and Jerusalem patriarchates.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Michael the Iconographer said:

Just before I went to Finland I overheard something about there being some more issues... and that they might not even vote on it next year (first it was this fall). But who knows...

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Of the relatively regular ones, ROCOR. There are several schismatic groups, some schismed off of ROCOR, that are even more, um, staunch, but I recommend against getting involved with them. But, really, for all intents and purposes, any Orthodox jurisdiction should do. Don't worry about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What metro area are you in? I think ANY jurisdiction would be great, except for fake Orthodox churches... any yahoo can put out a shingle and claim to be Orthodox, even though they have no connection with any other Orthdox church. We'd like to help you avoid those, but any regular jurisdiction would be great.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If, as your OP indicated, you are looking for a church that requires headcoverings for women, then you are probably going to want to attend a ROCOR church (as several of us have already pointed out).

Some Orthodox churches are more liberal than others, but that varies, even within a single jurisdiction.

As far as I know, ROCOR has never belonged to the NCC or the WCC, and Antioch has recently renounced its membership in the NCC.

In a certain definite sense, that makes them more conservative than other jurisdictions that still participate in those organizations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
gzt said:
Theo: my experience is the opposite. It probably depends where you are, what the background of the parish is.

Really! I guess it does depend on where you are and the background. The Antiochian parishes I know of are mostly converts, which I am sure plays a role.

Upvote 0

xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Franze said:
Why orthodox are joined in a unique patriarchate like Jerusalem? for language differences?

What do you mean?

OP:
I think that it is very hard to make a general statement on Sister Churches in this regard. It really varies from local Church to local Church. Where I live, there are two Serbian Churches with about 200 meters between them. Same priests are always in the same Church, Same Bishop, same people but both Churches are different every Lord's day.

And it is same with 3 Greek, a Russian, a Romanian and an Antiochian Churches that are in the area.

I do not know what is it, but every Church is different at any given Lord's day.

The only exeption is St. John's Monastery, but that is to be expected...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.