Conservative Christians and Cussing

Q

Quoth

Though I'm sure much of what I'm about to say has already been said, let me put my two coins in the coffer. I am a Conservative Christian, as far as I understand the term. I also swear like a...person who swears quite a bit.

I was raised in a Conservative Southern Baptist household, where swearing would result in the iron hand of my father swiftly on my backside. However, I also went to a public school. I quickly learned what swear words were, and how to utilize them.

The main verse I hear quoted time and time again to denounce the use of cuss words is Ephesians 4:29, which says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

I was raised to believe that because of this verse, I was to refrain from swearing, or words like "gosh," "dang," "darn," "crap," and other "pseudo-swears." However, upon entering the real world at age 21, I learned that for most people I came in contact with, Christian or not, swearing is a part of life. While that may not be true overall, it has held true in my life experience.

What I prefer to do when it comes to quoting a verse is look at the verse piece by piece. Instead of glancing over it and gaining a superficial meaning, I believe much can be learned from examining the pieces that create the whole. Much like a pie, you don't shove the entire thing in your mouth; you eat it slice by slice.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths...
By itself, this statement can be understood as, "Don't let anything considered bad or offensive proceed from your mouth." If the verse stopped there, I would take it as, "No swearing, no ridicule, no sarcasm, etc." Nevertheless, the verse continues:

...but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

First off, what does "helpful" mean? I don't mean to insult the intelligence of the reader, but helpful is an adjective meaning "giving or rendering aid or assistance." Our every word should be helpful or beneficial to those who hear us.

With that understanding in mind, we should set out to benefit others with what we say. However, as a friend of mine in the Marines says, "there are some situations where <expletive> is appropriate." He was used to being shot at in the field of combat, and having small pieces of metal thrown at you at high velocity so as to end your life does not lend itself to kind words. If you're in combat and the guy in front of you says an expletive and ducks, it is both his words and his motions that motivate you to follow suite. Had your comrade simply ducked, it would not express the importance of the situation. Even simply saying "get down" is not as motivating as someone using words to show severe distress.

Swear words, I believe, are highly cultural. While most Americans consider a bag strapped about the waist to be a "fannypack," some Australians and New Zealanders would take offense to the word "fanny" (preferring "bumbag" instead). Fanny is a slang term in those countries, and Americans wouldn't think twice about using it. There we see that in America, a word that is considered rather benign is highly offensive in Australia.

Similarly, if I'm hanging out with my friends and happen to be describing my day, I might describe it using a swear word (especially if it was a bad day, or I want to emphasize whatever mood it was). If I'm with my parents, someone I know with an aversion to swearing, or with someone who I am unfamiliar, it truly does not inconvenience me to forsake swearing in that time.

If I go to a country with a radically different language and ask (in English), "Where's the bathroom," I might be telling them that their mother is the daughter of a fatherless ogre. However, if I use a long string of expletives, they might simply point to the bathroom. It's a silly example, I know, but the bottom line is that what we consider offensive in our language isn't necessarily offensive in another language.

I have heard Christians who love the Lord describe their walk with the Lord as "<expletive> awesome." I take joy in that description, because sometimes--due to the world that Christian grew up in--that is the only way they know to communicate.

Swearing is cultural. If someone wants to come on the boards and swear, as long as it isn't done to insult or defame others, I have no problem with it.

Upvote 0

IamRedeemed

Blessed are the pure in Heart, they shall see God.
May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, you know brother, there is also a such thing as
"Cultural Christianity vs Biblical Christianity.

(see the link on my blog if you would like to learn more about that. :thumbsup:)

If you weren't particularly convinced by Ephesians 4:29 perhaps some of these
(and there are more where these came from) will serve as witnesses of not only
what is expected of us by the Lord (as well as those lending ear to us, knowing
we claim to belong to Christ), but that what comes out of us is an outward witness
as to what is going on inside our hearts, especially if we regard it as part of our
everyday representation of our relationship with Christ, which in no way relates
to how long we have been warming pews, but rather whether we are walking
after the Spirit, pressing on toward the mark of the promise or walking as
debtors after the flesh(carnal). (see Romans 8:12-13)

Jesus said, "It is not that which goes into the mouth that defiles a man;
but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man." (Matthew 15:11)

Jesus also said, "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings
forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart
brings forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."
(Luke 6:45)

Also, what about these:

Proverbs 13:3
He that keeps his mouth keeps his life: but he that opens wide
his lips shall have destruction.

Proverbs 4:24
Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.

God bless

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Apparently there's some discussion at 4U on getting rid of the profanity filter. How do you fellow Conservative Christians feel about reading through filth on a "christian" message board?

For myself, I can't stand cussing in real life and don't think that a message board that calls itself "christian" should permit it. :cry:

When I see someone's CF name appearing on another board without the filter, and they are using profanity, my opinion of them always sinks considerably.

I can remember once on another board boiling over and using profanity, and it is not something that I am proud of even years later.

Sure, there have been times when I have had secondary links with very minor instance of languages being reported and being pulled, and imo, this was quite ridiculous abuse of the system's intent

But no, even if children are swearing now these days too, if this is a Christian value site, then it ought to be a family values site too. The lanaguage here ought to be presentable to children who happen upon the site.

The very fact that this site is now called Christian again ought to remind us of the fact that we ought to project a higher standard of civilized than coarse lanaguage.

And there is no reason that profanity needs to be a part of the way we are dealing with each other here.

If nothing else, a filter will protect us from the occasional rash outburst.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen CW. I went to an online life board someone mentioned here and it was disgusting..The language was atrocious and I got out of there in a flash..Not a place for edification in Christ...Blessings in Christ..Kim

Upvote 0

IamRedeemed

Blessed are the pure in Heart, they shall see God.
May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen CoyoteWild. Not only is it enlightening, but extremely disappointing,
especially when you have or had a high regard for someone.

And yes, little kids are swearing worse than sailors and the surrounding
adults think it is cute and funny. Nothing cute or funny about it, in my opinion.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old,
he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

A double edged sword right there. Train them in a way
they shouldn't go and they'll likely not depart from that either
except by the grace of God! But why make it harder for them
to turn toward God later in their lives by teaching them to be foul
early by giving them positive reinforcement for bad behavior
thereby creating obstacles for them and bad habits to overcome?

When I see someone's CF name appearing on another board without the filter, and they are using profanity, my opinion of them always sinks considerably.

I can remember once on another board boiling over and using profanity, and it is not something that I am proud of even years later.

Sure, there have been times when I have had secondary links with very minor instance of languages being reported and being pulled, and imo, this was quite ridiculous abuse of the system's intent

But no, even if children are swearing now these days too, if this is a Christian value site, then it ought to be a family values site too. The lanaguage here ought to be presentable to children who happen upon the site.

The very fact that this site is now called Christian again ought to remind us of the fact that we ought to project a higher standard of civilized than coarse lanaguage.

And there is no reason that profanity needs to be a part of the way we are dealing with each other here.

If nothing else, a filter will protect us from the occasional rash outburst.

Upvote 0

ChristianCenturion

Veteran / Tuebor
Feb 9, 2005
In front of a computer
✟32,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Apparently there's some discussion at 4U on getting rid of the profanity filter. How do you fellow Conservative Christians feel about reading through filth on a "christian" message board?

I don't know about the various 'discussions' that go on (there always seems to be "something" contradictory people are trying to push), but I prefer the least amount of garbage when wading through here or anywhere else for that matter.
For myself, I can't stand cussing in real life and don't think that a message board that calls itself "christian" should permit it. :cry:

I'm in agreement with you (again ;) ).

Be well, ContentInHim. :hug:

Upvote 0