Nov 26, 2005
✟74,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We are supposed to "come out from among them". It is something we should definitely try not to do.
come out from among who?

People who cuss?

What makes a cuss word, a cuss word?

What makes it "bad".

Like I said it is offensive to some, usually people who have been brought up in a "Don't you ever say that word!" :mad:

But honestly it is just an expression of emotion when people lack vocabulary at the time, also it can become a habit for some to cuss...I can't stand that, gets on my nerves everyother word to be a "cuss word" when better, more intellectual words could be used.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I still don't understand... where's it been said the filter may be got rid of?

To my knowledge, it wasn't.

There were a couple of threads going where people were talking about the filter and adding or subtracting words to it and whatnot. But I've never read where upper mgmt is thinking of doing away with it.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I used to joke that they would never be able to make a reality show at my old office, because there would be beeps everywhere - no one would be able to understand anything.

There was a girl who worked there who had become talented at placing the f-word in every sentence, sometimes more than once. It was like nails on a chalkboard. And once in awhile she wouldn't realize there was a client in the office. I don't think she had any idea how unintelligent it made her sound. If someone called her on it, she would simply answer "it's who I am and I ain't changing for nobody."

come out from among who?

People who cuss?

What makes it "bad".

Like I said it is offensive to some, usually people who have been brought up in a "Don't you ever say that word!" :mad:

But honestly it is just an expression of emotion when people lack vocabulary at the time, also it can become a habit for some to cuss...I can't stand that, gets on my nerves everyother word to be a "cuss word" when better, more intellectual words could be used.

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To my knowledge, it wasn't.

There were a couple of threads going where people were talking about the filter and adding or subtracting words to it and whatnot. But I've never read where upper mgmt is thinking of doing away with it.
Yeah, that's what's baffling me. To my knowledge, the issue was whether to add "damn" and "hell" to the filter; some feel no, some feel yes. But, afaik, at no point has the idea of removing the filter been suggested and that seems to be the premise of the thread :confused:

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's what's baffling me. To my knowledge, the issue was whether to add "damn" and "hell" to the filter; some feel no, some feel yes. But, afaik, at no point has the idea of removing the filter been suggested and that seems to be the premise of the thread :confused:

This is how wars get started. ;)

I think that somewhere in the couple of threads that I was involved in, someone made a post suggesting that it be removed altogether, perhaps because we should all be responsible for what we write or something like that.

I guess I'll have to go back and see if I can find what I think I'm looking for. Someone suggested it, and it got shot down really fast regardless of what the reasons were for removing it.

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is how wars get started. ;)

I think that somewhere in the couple of threads that I was involved in, someone made a post suggesting that it be removed altogether, perhaps because we should all be responsible for what we write or something like that.

I guess I'll have to go back and see if I can find what I think I'm looking for. Someone suggested it, and it got shot down really fast regardless of what the reasons were for removing it.
Oh, no, it's not down to Barb. It sounds like she's been told that by someone, so am trying to find out where it was discussed, rather than say it wasn't. But if it's misinformation, it's not a problem, cos it'd never happen :angel:

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
come out from among who?

People who cuss?

What makes it "bad".

That's why I cuss very, very rarely. And because people know that, it has all the more impact when I do... which is good, because that's what it's for.

But what I won't ever do is take the Lord's name in vain. Other cussing is to be avoided on grounds of coarseness, being a bad witness or a stumbling block, but not because it's sinful in itself. IOW, in Paul's category of things that are permissible, but not beneficial.

Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
That's why I cuss very, very rarely. And because people know that, it has all the more impact when I do... which is good, because that's what it's for.

But what I won't ever do is take the Lord's name in vain. Other cussing is to be avoided on grounds of coarseness, being a bad witness or a stumbling block, but not because it's sinful in itself. IOW, in Paul's category of things that are permissible, but not beneficial.

I don't like cussing and rarely do it, but like you everyone once in awhile pressure builds up & out pops a cuss word. The funny thing is it is a fairly mild cuss word by most people's standards, but all activity ceases in the office & they come to see what's wrong because it is so rare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single

I told everyone that in post #7. ^_^ I think the thread evolved into a discussion of christians & cussing in general. But I was curious where she heard the rumor too.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't like cussing and rarely do it, but like you everyone once in awhile pressure builds up & out pops a cuss word. The funny thing is it is a fairly mild cuss word by most people's standards, but all activity ceases in the office & they come to see what's wrong because it is so rare.

I know how that goes. Everyone in my office knew I was upset about something the minute "God Bless America" slipped out and it wasn't the fourth of July! ^_^

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All things are permissible, but not all beneficial you mean?
Ties in nicely with so many things, to me more so than the Ephesians verse, though that applies too.

What I mean is.....in everything we are to live for God's glory...how does cussing glorify Him?

It doesn't.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
What I mean is.....in everything we are to live for God's glory...how does cussing glorify Him?

It doesn't.
It's very rare that it would, and that's why it's usually not beneficial.

Upvote 0
C

Cromwe11

I don't think there is anything inherently unchristian or immoral about cussing.

One word for poop is no more immoral than another. The issue there is entirely one of social manners. One is considered impolite, or crass, the others are considered more polite. Why "poo" is more acceptable, I have no idea, but it certainly doesn't have anything to do with being moral.

That being said, I see no reason whatsoever to remove the profanity filter. Manners may often times be largely a-moral in their specifics, but we should be well mannered, considerate people. I think this would be a bad, and rather stupid idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand those that are not Christian cussing as a habit if they prefer that form of communicating.

But I despise seeing a Christian cuss just to cuss. To look cool, be funny *they think*, or just fit in. I've lost it a few times myself in the cussing dept. when I've been upset.

I think the filter should remain. Christians have enough PR problems in the world when we are to be the salt & light.

We are to be a witness. Dropping the f-bomb. etc., just does not do anyone any favors. Especially your fellow Christians.

There should be a section of apologetics for these types of Christians IMO. It's getting hard to tell who's who.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

What makes it "bad".

That's just it. Something that may be "cussing" to one person may be perfectly innocent to another person. Some even think words like "gosh", "heck" and "darn" are swear words (which would rule out cute old shows like "Leave it to Beaver").

It's nice to have a filter, but I think everyone on this site, Christian or not, should be "on their honor" to guard their talk. A filter is mechanical whereas people should be able to think for themselves and use their own judgments on matters such as this.

All-in-all, I think this is a well-moderated site, and compared to others in cyberspace, it's pretty straightforward. A PG-rated site in an X-rated world. For that alone, I am pleased.

Upvote 0

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James takes up this issue when he speaks about controlling our tongues. I believe that what comes out of the mouth is a fair reflection of what lives in our hearts. As Christians our 'speech' should betray us so on a Christian message board there is no place for filthy language.

I am not saying the words we use are a salvic issue, but they are an indicator of the condition of our souls. A filter, even if it is a wash my mouth, wash my mouth filter, should be in place.

Upvote 0