The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It used to be that political satire was easy. All one had to do was find the absurd buried beneath the surface of a given story and employ satire to highlight that absurdity. To shine a light on it.
Now? Now you have headlines showing up in mainstream publications like "Kansas Republican Actually Opposes the Poor Buying More Food" and "Conservatives Less Likely to Buy Energy Efficient Bulbs if Labeled as Environmentally Friendly."
The absurdity of conservatives in this country has completely destroyed our business. Republicans have ruined us. Period.

From The Daily Kos.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes, it would be hard to make money off of creating satire when it kind of creates itself.

I do not really watch American political comedy, so I do not care so much about that. I hope it does not go the same way here. I do not know what we would do if we had no comics to export.

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This stuff sounds like some sort of bizarre parody. I can kind of understand the pro-environment lightbulb thing, mostly because some people might see it as a political statement that turns them off. Still, "understand" and "not think sounds crazy" are two totally different things in this case.

The other story just sounds insane. Why would that encourage the poor to spend more on food than on other things? Since when have the poor had a huge degree of discretionary income to buy other things, regardless? Isn't lacking discretionary income a big part of being poor? If five cents to a dollar is all that makes you decide to buy a can of peas as opposed to something else (presumably a luxury item of some sort), I don't know what's going on in your life.

These are all mysteries. Terrifying, terrifying mysteries.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the article on the Daily KOs is a satire itself. I don't think that The Onion is going out of business.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Satire or not, the sad part is I know some of this stuff is true. I have Conservative friends that say and do things simply because it flies in the face of what most Moderate/Liberal Democrats align with. Little do they know I myself am a Dem.

Upvote 0