The GOP Manufactured a Barron Trump Controversy. It's a superficial line of attack.

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
This is from last week but it seems all the more ironic now bc Donald Trump has bullied Greta Thunberg, bc he's salty she got picked to be Time's Person of the Year for 2019. She's only a tiny bit older than his own youngest son. He was nasty to her before too. The law prof. who made the pun wasn't malicious in intent like Trump was with his jabs at Greta & she apologised which is something I doubt he'd ever have the integrity to do. He severely undermines her "be best" anti-bullying campaign, making it into a farce bc he infamously bullies ppl of all ages, including kids.

Donald Trump's Distraction Tactics Find New Life Thanks to GOP's Manufactured Barron Trump Outrage
In this op-ed, Lucy Diavolo breaks down what conservative outrage over a joke about the name of the president’s son has to tell us about the role of superficiality in our politics.

The article explains how the pun was then seized on by Matt Gaetz & other Trump defenders to distract & divert from what the law professor actually said about Trump's impeachable conduct.

As Gaetz’s performance displayed, these same distraction tactics are employed by Trump’s defenders as a way to divert attention from questions about quid pro quo and election meddling. Gaetz’s outburst and his misleading characterization of Karlan’s remark are the latest examples of politicians using superficial outrage theater to keep their spot in this reality TV presidency.

If our national politics were a reality series, we might imagine this week’s episode highlighting Gaetz’s attack on Karlan. Anyone who thinks the measured testimony of constitutional scholars has the same mass appeal that a televised shouting match does hasn’t been paying attention.

That’s not to say that we should allow our political discourse to continue to devolve along this line or that we should abandon all hope for more meaningful political conversations. But Trump’s distraction tactics offer an opportunity to ask why so many of our leaders are so desperate to obfuscate the truth — and why they’re able to get away with it.

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm a Zoomer. I believe he shouldn't use Twitter.

His behaviour on Twitter would literally not be allowed by my elementary, middle, or HS. We have social media policies. It's even more pathetic to take to Twitter to bully other people than to do so to their face in the hallway or schoolyard bc it's cowardly but that's what he does. Trump habitually uses Twitter to bully & demean people, promote falsehoods & conspiracy theories. He's used it to announce major policy changes he hasn't bothered to talk to the Pentagon about. To fire his own staff instead of doing it with any dignity.

• Winner
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a Zoomer. I believe he shouldn't use Twitter.

Ok, Zoomer.

Lol. I think this is the better name than Gen Z.

I agree with you fully about Trump & Twitter.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Ella said that last yr Trevor Noah had this temporary "Trump Twitter Museum" in LA that she went to, displaying all the contradictions, tantrums, bullying, the nastiness & craziness that he's written out on Twitter.

In the future generations are gonna be looking at this part of history and smh'ing like crazy.

Upvote 0