Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Wondering "what if" about evolution is perfectly healthy. Try not to think about it as being forced to learn about it, think of it as an opportunity. You can learn a lot from the other side of the conversation, even if you disagree. God isn't going to punish you for asking questions and seeking answers.

What do you mean by that? But I think it's safe to say that I'm not going to Hell for having my mind ask questions at times.

Take heart from the fact that the devil is needling you because you have faith. If you were an agnostic he wouldn't bother. My guess is he sees your faith as not being as deep as it can be and he is trying to remove it.

Nothing strengthened my faith more than the day I ditched evolution and believed in creation. I have Ken Ham to thank for that. I might not agree with him on everything -for example, I believe there was thick vapour canopy around the world that came down in the flood. The whole Bible hangs together with creation perfectly. Evolution though is a square peg in a round hole.

Actually, I heard it said that Satan only attacks the strong,.. because if I were weak in faith he wouldn't be trying so hard to remove it from me since he wouldn't have to then.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A little bit of both I guess. I'm ashamed to admit though. :(

You seem to be a person that's sincere. You said prior though,

"I probably wouldn't also feel the presence of the Holy Spirit or a reason to repent when I felt condemned either.)"

So you said that you've experienced feeling the actual presence of the Holy Spirit and yet you say you're still plagued with doubts that God exists? How exactly then could you say you doubt God's existence then? Please share in what way you say you felt the presence of the Holy Spirit? And have you actually asked Jesus to come into your life? Jesus is Eternal Life.

One thing I can say to you for certain Jesus did say If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself John 7:17 and also,

Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” John 14:21

• Winner
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Davist

WWJD?
Aug 1, 2020
Midwest
✟17,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean by that? But I think it's safe to say that I'm not going to Hell for having my mind ask questions at times.

By listening to the other side of the conversation, you're forced to analyze not only what you believe, but why you believe it. It also give you an idea how other people view the world, giving you more understanding on how to relate to them. All of these things are important in developing yourself as a person because it ultimately leads to you having a better understanding of your own faith.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
You seem to be a person that's sincere. You said prior though,

"I probably wouldn't also feel the presence of the Holy Spirit or a reason to repent when I felt condemned either.)"

So you said that you've experienced feeling the actual presence of the Holy Spirit and yet you say you're still plagued with doubts that God exists? How exactly then could you say you doubt God's existence then? Please share in what way you say you felt the presence of the Holy Spirit? And have you actually asked Jesus to come into your life? Jesus is Eternal Life.

Yes of course I asked Jesus to come into my life (multiple times in fact) and there is where I want Him to remain,.. and whenever I see somebody in need I feel the Holy Spirit telling me to get involved,.. or when I've done something I believe to be wrong it keeps telling me over and over to repent for it until I do.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
By listening to the other side of the conversation, you're forced to analyze not only what you believe, but why you believe it. It also give you an idea how other people view the world, giving you more understanding on how to relate to them. All of these things are important in developing yourself as a person because it ultimately leads to you having a better understanding of your own faith.

I already know why I believe why I do and Mark says it better than anybody else. :)

Upvote 0

TexFire316

Come as a child, with no agenda
Jan 31, 2017
Conroe, Texas
Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the difference between an agnostic and a Christian who doubts their faith sometimes? Cause I'm sort of having issues with the devil telling me I can't really be a true Christian because of the fact I get doubts from time to time and that thought scares me to death. :( (Of course on the other hand like I have come to realize,.. if I wasn't saved then I wouldn't be worried so much.)

He tried that stunt on all of us sooner or later. Don't let him get away with it.
Faith. It isn't the faith of the Father in us, we fail. Often, every day. It is our faith in the Father that He will do what He said that He would do. Faith.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes of course I asked Jesus to come into my life (multiple times in fact) and there is where I want Him to remain,.. and whenever I see somebody in need I feel the Holy Spirit telling me to get involved,.. or when I've done something I believe to be wrong it keeps telling me over and over to repent for it until I do.

And because you asked Jesus to come into your life we both can know he did. You did say though there are times a doubt would come where you're tempted to doubt his existence. I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Praising and worshipping God on a daily basis and feeding your spirit with his words....his presence is not only with you but in you and at times you'll find he'll manifest his presence in very strong ways.

• Winner
Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say:
1) pray that you would not doubt and then wait for what happens/His response
2) read the Bible/Word of God
3) look into historical evidence of the Bible such as of events and altars built by the people of God in the OT and that still exists today. God bless :)

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I would say:
1) pray that you would not doubt and then wait for what happens/His response
2) read the Bible/Word of God
3) look into historical evidence of the Bible such as of events and altars built by the people of God in the OT and that still exists today. God bless :)

Thank you and God bless you as well. :)

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I heard it said that Satan only attacks the strong,.. because if I were weak in faith he wouldn't be trying so hard to remove it from me since he wouldn't have to then.

You said you felt the devil was attacking you and you said your faith was weak, so I am unsure what you mean by your reply.
Satan attacks everyone, strong or weak in the faith, but we all have different weaknesses and that is what Satan picks on. Someone else may have strong faith but perhaps a weakness for a particular sin so Satan will use that.

When you feel attacked I would read or quote some scripture.
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
—Deuteronomy 31:6

“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
—Psalm 23:4

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
—Romans 8:38-39

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lsume

Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between an agnostic and a Christian who doubts their faith sometimes? Cause I'm sort of having issues with the devil telling me I can't really be a true Christian because of the fact I get doubts from time to time and that thought scares me to death. :( (Of course on the other hand like I have come to realize,.. if I wasn't saved then I wouldn't be worried so much.)
When you are born again, you will understand. I assume that at some point in your life you were baptized with water. When you are born again, the water baptism makes perfect sense. The Word Says not to despise your youth as I recall. That Scripture is dealing with the regrets from sin. You pray continuing to try to live an obedient life. Your soul is the only possession that you have which is of infinite value to you. If and when Christ comes to you as a thief in the night, He Will Teach you.
1Tim.4
  1. [12] Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We need to take God at His word. Like you, I was much troubled by doubt and unbelief. One day, I just decided that I was saved because of what Jesus did for me, not because of how I felt or even what I believed. I was greatly encouraged by a friend who told me that I needed to draw a line in the sand and quit worrying about it. I took his advice. Eventually....

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
One day, I just decided that I was saved because of what Jesus did for me, not because of how I felt or even what I believed.

Well said. It's a kind of surrender, isn't it? All that running around in the labyrinth of dogma, depending on our imperfect understanding while also looking into our fleeting and treacherous feelings, that stuff can really break a person if it gets bad enough - and especially if that person is anxious and a worrier by nature. It becomes about constantly looking inward, constantly looking into the confusing mess of sin we are, and actually trying to find perfection from within. I didn't find it. It's not there for me. I only find more crap. The worst thing about it is fear. Fear is the motivator there. Not reverent respect, but actual fear which turns into terror. Fear leads the cycle and everything comes back to it. When we surrender all of that to God, it's like we can actually breathe again and step outside of the cage where we trapped ourselves.

The answer is not in me, it's in Jesus Christ. I can't do it. I can't do any of it. I can't even rely on the strength of my own faith. Faith is the "hand" that grasps Christ, which it should, but so easily we take our eyes off of Christ, and turn them into our own hands. We start to endlessly examine our faith, the strength of it, down to the tiniest detail, and cycle begins anew: again, we're turning inward. But it's Christ who matters! His strength! His grip!

It's quite a thing to let God be God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟71,058.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between an agnostic and a Christian who doubts their faith sometimes?
"Agnostic" means by definition that someone believes it is impossible to know a matter (usually, if God exists, but you can be agnostic over other items).
Doubt is either "I don't know" (which is not the same as "I believe it is impossible to know"), or mistrust. If you mistrust your own faith, this is not agnosticism. Neither if you doubt whether there si God or all your experiences are delusion.

See Albion or others, who wrote more about that.

• Winner
Upvote 0

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟71,058.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The term gnosticism is already occupied for an old "esoteric" religion.
Gnosticism - Wikipedia
We should not submit to atheist sophism by using their definition of "gnosticism".

Thats the term, the definition is literally knowledge,

• Agree
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends specifically on the doubt. Also, rather than the devil being the barer of bad news , could it not be the Holy Spirit ? His function is to convict you of sin. The devil will encourage you to remain in sin.
When a Christian continually doubts their salvation, there is usually unrepentant sin in their life. Sin separates us from God, it is not God who leaves us. Pray during this time of weakness so that the truth shines through the darkness.And never mind the thought of being agnostic, it is merely another tool to avoid repentance.
Br blessed.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
When you are born again, you will understand. I assume that at some point in your life you were baptized with water. When you are born again, the water baptism makes perfect sense. The Word Says not to despise your youth as I recall. That Scripture is dealing with the regrets from sin. You pray continuing to try to live an obedient life. Your soul is the only possession that you have which is of infinite value to you. If and when Christ comes to you as a thief in the night, He Will Teach you.
1Tim.4
  1. [12] Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Yes, I was baptized a couple years ago. :)

(I grew up Methodist.)
Have you ever had a specific Born-Again experience?

What do you mean by that?

It depends specifically on the doubt. Also, rather than the devil being the barer of bad news , could it not be the Holy Spirit ? His function is to convict you of sin. The devil will encourage you to remain in sin.
When a Christian continually doubts their salvation, there is usually unrepentant sin in their life. Sin separates us from God, it is not God who leaves us. Pray during this time of weakness so that the truth shines through the darkness.And never mind the thought of being agnostic, it is merely another tool to avoid repentance.
Br blessed.

Thanks, may God bless you as well, but I always repent of my sins and most of the time I never repeat them. :D

Upvote 0