Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
What is the difference between an agnostic and a Christian who doubts their faith sometimes? Cause I'm sort of having issues with the devil telling me I can't really be a true Christian because of the fact I get doubts from time to time and that thought scares me to death. :( (Of course on the other hand like I have come to realize,.. if I wasn't saved then I wouldn't be worried so much.)

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between an agnostic and a Christian who doubts their faith sometimes?
The agnostic presumably has made up his mind that it's impossible to know if there is a God or not.

I'm sort of having issues with the devil telling me I can't really be a true Christian because of the fact I get doubts from time to time and that thought scares me to death. :( (Of course on the other hand like I have come to realize,.. if I wasn't saved then I wouldn't be worried so much.)
Sounds like you are not unlike many other people. There is nothing inherently wrong about doubting, and any one of us would be a rare person if we never did doubt at all. Many of the greatest saints, for that matter, are remembered for having doubted and then come through it with a stronger faith than ever.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
The agnostic presumably has made up his mind that it's impossible to know if there is a God or not.

Sounds like you are not unlike many other people. There is nothing inherently wrong about doubting, and any one of us would be a rare person if we never did doubt at all. Many of the greatest saints, for that matter, are remembered for having doubted and then come through it with a stronger faith than ever.

Thanks, I do feel a little bit better now as I definitely feel like my faith has gotten stronger and I also know that since Jesus knows my heart that doubt won't keep me out of Heaven since those are just thoughts in my mind and they aren't true and I know what my heart believes. This song has really helped me out as well. :)

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟46,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agnostic is Latin for "without knowledge".

It can be a variety of things... unsure whether God exists or not, or unsure whether any of the various denominations formed are correct in their theologies or any variations on that theme.

In the Colonial Days many people were what they termed as "Deists". Benjamin Franklin was one who claimed such a title. But considering that an aleigance to a particular denomination was a declaration of war against other denominations...he stuck to Deism. But he definitely believed. The first lines of his autobiography attest to his devout faith.

Agnostics aren't Deists though... nothing like them whatsoever.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Agnostic is Latin for "without knowledge".

It can be a variety of things... unsure whether God exists or not, or unsure whether any of the various denominations formed are correct in their theologies or any variations on that theme.

In the Colonial Days many people were what they termed as "Deists". Benjamin Franklin was one who claimed such a title. But considering that an aleigance to a particular denomination was a declaration of war against other denominations...he stuck to Deism. But he definitely believed. The first lines of his autobiography attest to his devout faith.

Agnostics aren't Deists though... nothing like them whatsoever.

I believe the truth in my heart,.. I just think that the devil tries to play games with me in my mind and make things up to scare me as I love Jesus even though I have doubts. I couldn't love Him if I wasn't saved though. :) (I probably wouldn't also feel the presence of the Holy Spirit or a reason to repent when I felt condemned either.)

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe the truth in my heart,.. I just think that the devil tries to play games with me in my mind
A lot of times I see the doubts take on a mind of their own. It becomes like trying to get a song you hate out of your mind. You really see this in operation in people with OCD. It's usually best to ignore the doubts and keep on obeying the Light you have been given. That's the way to grow faith, and the doubts eventually will resolve themselves.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What is the difference between an agnostic and a Christian who doubts their faith sometimes? Cause I'm sort of having issues with the devil telling me I can't really be a true Christian because of the fact I get doubts from time to time and that thought scares me to death. :( (Of course on the other hand like I have come to realize,.. if I wasn't saved then I wouldn't be worried so much.)

You might find interesting a study of Matthew 4 where Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. Many people think the devil tempted Jesus to turn the stones into bread. He did but if you consider it the real temptation was to make him doubt he was the Son of God. "If you are the Son of God" Luke 4:3 So the thought comes to the mind are you the Son of God? Maybe that's not true after all? If it were true then prove it to yourself and me!

I would ask you though. What do you mean you get doubts you're a true Christian. Are you talking about doubts that God exists or doubts that you don't feel you measure up with a righteous character to consider yourself Christian. What exactly is the nature of your doubts?

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
You might find interesting a study of Matthew 4 where Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. Many people think the devil tempted Jesus to turn the stones into bread. He did but if you consider it the real temptation was to make him doubt he was the Son of God. "If you are the Son of God" Luke 4:3 So the thought comes to the mind are you the Son of God? Maybe that's not true after all? If it were true then prove it to yourself and me!

I would ask you though. What do you mean you get doubts you're a true Christian. Are you talking about doubts that God exists or doubts that you don't feel you measure up with a righteous character to consider yourself Christian. What exactly is the nature of your doubts?

A little bit of both I guess. I'm ashamed to admit though. :(

• Prayers
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Atheist have been doing a new paradign of gnosticism is knowledge, theism is belief, so you could be a agnostic theist which sounds closer to you, you believe, but don't really know, if that makes sense, it's supposed to help to define yourself better.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Atheist have been doing a new paradign of gnosticism is knowledge, theism is belief, so you could be a agnostic theist which sounds closer to you, you believe, but don't really know, if that makes sense, it's supposed to help to define yourself better.

I guess you're right,.. but in my heart I know the truth,.. just my head is the one that's confused sometimes and I really want to believe and not doubt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟17,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A little bit of both I guess. I'm ashamed to admit though. :(

The only way to fight doubts is the word of God. Jesus even used Scripture to fight Satan himself, and He wrote it! :) ( John 1) Eve added to the word of God in the Garden, so she did not take the time to commit to memory what God had said. (compare 2:15-17, 3:1-5) Satan saw this and used deception to attack her as a weaker link to get to Adam, IMO.

Satan will always bring doubt upon the word of God, that's how he and his tools (the unsaved and professing believers) work. They always work the same. Know the word, know why you can trust it, and use it when people and doubts attack you.

Love for God casts out fear of punishment. The more you study about God and know His character, and His plan of redemption, the more you trust and love Him. After all, He chose you!

This can only happen by general Bible reading, study of doctrines and subjects, and memorizing key Scriptures that will help you fight the one that causes you to doubt. Many false teachers out there and on the forums, so beware.

We are like a baby and need daily feeding of the word to grow properly and we have to be holy, to separate ourselves from things that might drag us down. This be people, places, and things.

To the extent you do all these things will be how quickly you grow and mature in the faith. No easy paths on the pilgrims progress. :)

Hope this helps! :oldthumbsup: Hold fast, stay the course!

1Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

13Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” a

17Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. b 23For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess you're right,.. but in my heart I know the truth,.. just my head is the one that's confused sometimes and I really want to believe and not doubt.

It was just a suggestion :> You can still believe and have doubts, just thought I offer a alternative to just flat out agnosticism.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
The only way to fight doubts is the word of God. Jesus even used Scripture to fight Satan himself, and He wrote it! :) ( John 1) Eve added to the word of God in the Garden, so she did not take the time to commit to memory what God had said. (compare 2:15-17, 3:1-5) Satan saw this and used deception to attack her as a weaker link to get to Adam, IMO.

Satan will always bring doubt upon the word of God, that's how he and his tools (the unsaved and professing believers) work. They always work the same. Know the word, know why you can trust it, and use it when people and doubts attack you.

Love for God casts out fear of punishment. The more you study about God and know His character, and His plan of redemption, the more you trust and love Him. After all, He chose you!

This can only happen by general Bible reading, study of doctrines and subjects, and memorizing key Scriptures that will help you fight the one that causes you to doubt. Many false teachers out there and on the forums, so beware.

We are like a baby and need daily feeding of the word to grow properly and we have to be holy, to separate ourselves from things that might drag us down. This be people, places, and things.

To the extent you do all these things will be how quickly you grow and mature in the faith. No easy paths on the pilgrims progress. :)

Hope this helps! :oldthumbsup: Hold fast, stay the course!

1Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

13Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” a

17Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. b 23For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

It does help thanks but I'm not very good with memorizing scripture even though I read it and or listen to it daily. It's a LOT to memorize you've got to admit.

It was just a suggestion :> You can still believe and have doubts, just thought I offer a alternative to just flat out agnosticism.

It's alright, I understand that. We're good. :)

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟17,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does help thanks but I'm not very good with memorizing scripture even though I read it and or listen to it daily. It's a LOT to memorize you've got to admit.

Yeah, but we are only talking a short verse to use for different things. Over time, you will have several verses to combat the enemy. Jesus used short and sweet verses. You can do all things through Christ! :)

The Armor of God

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

It's alright, I understand that. We're good. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
An agnostic doesn't believe in God at all but is open to the possibility of there being a God. You sound like you are pretty far from being an agnostic.

Upvote 0

Davist

WWJD?
Aug 1, 2020
Midwest
✟17,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Can you give an example of a specific doubt you have?

I ask, because sometimes people mistake questioning something as a damnable offense. It's not. In fact, if you're not questioning your faith and seeking answers, you're probably not growing as a person. That voice of doubt might not be the devil (in fact, it certainly isn't), it might just be a part of you that wants to learn more.

Another thing to remember: one can obsess over thoughts of whether they're saved or not, and their mind can play tricks on them. An example: Don't think of pink elephants. After reading that, most people would think about pink elephants. The same principal can apply to people thinking about salvation. If you tell your brain not to think about something, it's probably going to think about whatever your trying not to think about.

Being cast into hell is a terrifying concept, and even scarier is the thought that every time you lose faith, in that moment of weakness, your are hellbound. This leads to a spiritual obsessive compulsiveness, asking yourself every ten seconds, "We good, God?" That isn't necessary. It's needless worry.

No one has complete control of their thoughts, and one's thoughts aren't necessarily a direct representation of who that person is. God understands the difference between an echo inside your head and what you really believe.

• Winner
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I think the biggest problem for me is that I was forced to learn about evolution in school so even though I really don't believe we evolved from monkeys my mind can't help but wonder what if at times. I mean that doesn't mean that I don't believe that certain parts of evolution can coexist with Christianity,.. but just like every piece of artwork must have an artist,.. everything that we see (and don't see) had to have had a creator. There's no way that everything came from nothing. That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Upvote 0

Davist

WWJD?
Aug 1, 2020
Midwest
✟17,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the biggest problem for me is that I was forced to learn about evolution in school so even though I really don't believe we evolved from monkeys my mind can't help but wonder what if at times.

Wondering "what if" about evolution is perfectly healthy. Try not to think about it as being forced to learn about it, think of it as an opportunity. You can learn a lot from the other side of the conversation, even if you disagree. God isn't going to punish you for asking questions and seeking answers.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the truth in my heart,.. I just think that the devil tries to play games with me in my mind and make things up to scare me as I love Jesus even though I have doubts. I couldn't love Him if I wasn't saved though. :) (I probably wouldn't also feel the presence of the Holy Spirit or a reason to repent when I felt condemned either.)

Take heart from the fact that the devil is needling you because you have faith. If you were an agnostic he wouldn't bother. My guess is he sees your faith as not being as deep as it can be and he is trying to remove it.

Nothing strengthened my faith more than the day I ditched evolution and believed in creation. I have Ken Ham to thank for that. I might not agree with him on everything -for example, I believe there was thick vapour canopy around the world that came down in the flood. The whole Bible hangs together with creation perfectly. Evolution though is a square peg in a round hole.

Upvote 0