The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi
I've been a Christian for a couple of years now, and I love watching lectures online. But I've hit something of a snag.

I watched a very good lecture from Edward Fudge, who points out that the Bible clearly teaches annihilation.

Then I watched a most enjoyable lecture on Hell by NT Wright, who makes it very clear that the Bible obviously teaches a sort of eternal conscious torment.

After that, I listened to a rather fine speech from David Bentley-Hart, who goes into great lengths about the Bible's clear and obvious teachings on universalism.

I'm not asking which of those is correct. But I do worry about it. Three very top-notch Bible scholars, three completely different views. Why doesn't the Bible make it more obvious which view is correct? I lean towards universalism (simply because God desires that all shall be saved, so if there's even one unsaved person in Hell at the end of time then God's will has not been done, therefore God is not all powerful), but I'd hate to be wrong about that. I'd hate to go through life saying "don't worry bro, you're saved whether happens", if that's not the case.

Where do I even start with this?

My advice to you is to keep doing what you are doing and keep listening to different people who present those views. At some point, you will begin to distinguish the truth. You just need to expand beyond these three scholars.

If I may, this video is going to give you some more food for thought so I think its a good one to add to your collection so you can ultimately come to a decision.

You will enjoy the number of scriptures being looked at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My advice to you is to keep doing what you are doing and keep listening to different people who present those views. At some point, you will begin to distinguish the truth. You just need to expand beyond these three scholars.

If I may, this video is going to give you some more food for thought so I think its a good one to add to your collection so you can ultimately come to a decision.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2011
✟7,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi
I've been a Christian for a couple of years now, and I love watching lectures online. But I've hit something of a snag.

I watched a very good lecture from Edward Fudge, who points out that the Bible clearly teaches annihilation.

Then I watched a most enjoyable lecture on Hell by NT Wright, who makes it very clear that the Bible obviously teaches a sort of eternal conscious torment.

After that, I listened to a rather fine speech from David Bentley-Hart, who goes into great lengths about the Bible's clear and obvious teachings on universalism.

I'm not asking which of those is correct. But I do worry about it. Three very top-notch Bible scholars, three completely different views. Why doesn't the Bible make it more obvious which view is correct? I lean towards universalism (simply because God desires that all shall be saved, so if there's even one unsaved person in Hell at the end of time then God's will has not been done, therefore God is not all powerful), but I'd hate to be wrong about that. I'd hate to go through life saying "don't worry bro, you're saved whether happens", if that's not the case.

Where do I even start with this?

2 Thessalonians 1:9 New King James Version (NKJV)
>These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and His Glory. This is very clear, that whether you believe they will be burnt up, or not the truth is they never be with God forever. Chipper

Upvote 0