Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Read this verse from the old testament:

Jeremiah 7:31
31They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire-something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.

It say's here, that it did not enter Gods mind to burn Children. So why does the lake of fire enter Jesus mind in the new testament?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

31They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire-something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.

It say's here, that it did not enter Gods mind to burn Children. So why does the lake of fire enter Jesus mind in the new testament?

Christ uses many powerful metaphors, to get our attention about the high stakes!

Not all is metaphor.

Christ said that God can "destroy both body and soul in hell" (Matthew 10:28).

He said that we can be given eternal life -- i.e. we do not already have it. The wording in John 3:16 is that those not given eternal life "perish".

Those that go into the lake of fire not immortal like the devil and his angels, are going into the "second death".

Many take all of these words to mean just what they sound like. i.e. -- that human souls in the "outer darkness" or "lake of fire, which is the second death" Rev 20:14 -- really will perish, not endure there.

It's how to fit all of the verses together, instead of only some verses. We want to have a view with agrees with all of the verses instead of only some.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Behold! It is a furnace of fire!

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. - Matthew 13

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Don't believe the mainstream idea that God is that unjust to make people suffer for an eternity because they chose not to follow Him. The second death in the lake of fire is a consuming fire. It destroys completely and when it is finished it's work, it will be no more. I will post scripture supporting this later...

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Don't believe the mainstream idea that God is that unjust to make people suffer for an eternity because they chose not to follow Him. The second death in the lake of fire is a consuming fire. It destroys completely and when it is finished it's work, it will be no more. I will post scripture supporting this later...

It is everlasting...

7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. -Matthew 18

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. - Matthew 25

6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. -Jude 1

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is everlasting...

7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. -Matthew 18

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. - Matthew 25

6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. -Jude 1

Yes, immortals (the devil and his angels) would presumably endure in that everlasting fire. For human souls that perish there, it's truly an everlasting punishment though. The "second death" is presumably irreversible, forever. The awful moments of weeping and gnashing of teeth before they perish are....so awful. We should endure most anything to try to help people hear the good news. If some atheist strikes a blow, let me turn the other cheek, and show Christ to someone that watches.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It never entered His mind meaning He never commanded it.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, immortals (the devil and his angels) would presumably endure in that everlasting fire. For human souls that perish there, it's truly an everlasting punishment though. The "second death" is presumably irreversible, forever. The awful moments of weeping and gnashing of teeth before they perish are....so awful. We should endure most anything to try to help people hear the good news. If some atheist strikes a blow, let me turn the other cheek, and show Christ to someone that watches.

There is NO thought or direction in Scriptures that the wicked lost in hell are consumed. There is no PERISHING in hell only everlasting torment.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That may be what YOU want to happen and I really do not blame you. I wish that is was the case as well but alas, it is not.

The Bible is very clear in Luke 16:23..........
"In Hell , being in torments, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

Revelation 20:10........
"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Do you not realize that the same Person who wrote Jerimiah is the same person who wrote the end of the New Test.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theanticrash

Jan 30, 2018
Brisbane
✟1,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christ uses many powerful metaphors, to get our attention about the high stakes!

Not all is metaphor.

Christ said that God can "destroy both body and soul in hell" (Matthew 10:28).

He said that we can be given eternal life -- i.e. we do not already have it. The wording in John 3:16 is that those not given eternal life "perish".

Those that go into the lake of fire not immortal like the devil and his angles, are going into the "second death".

Many take all of these words to mean just what they sound like. i.e. -- that human souls in the "outer darkness" or "lake of fire, which is the second death" Rev 20:14 -- really will perish, not endure there.

It's how to fit all of the verses together, instead of only some verses. We want to have a view with agrees with all of the verses instead of only some.
Ok thanks.

Upvote 0

theanticrash

Jan 30, 2018
Brisbane
✟1,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Behold! It is a furnace of fire!

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. - Matthew 13
At least I'll get the chance to brush up on my baking skills.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is NO thought or direction in Scriptures that the wicked lost in hell are consumed. There is no PERISHING in hell only everlasting torment.

The word "perish" is from Christ. Not me. And the other quoted words in that post above also are all His or from the gospels or Revelation. But, how you interpret it precisely isn't a salvation question, only that we truly believe in Him, and then our faith continues, which happens if we do as He said in Matthew 7:24-27.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Hi theanticrash, I remember one of the very popular questions to ask when I was growing up was this, "what is the meaning of life?", and I believe it's still a popular thing to consider today.

You call yourself a freethinker, so if you don't mind, let me ask you that very question before I go on to answer the main question in your OP, what do 'you' believe the meaning of life is? Why are we here?

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

theanticrash

Jan 30, 2018
Brisbane
✟1,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi theanticrash, I remember one of the very popular questions to ask when I was growing up was this, "what is the meaning of life?", and I believe it's still a popular thing to consider today.

You call yourself a freethinker, so if you don't mind, let me ask you that very question before I go on to answer the main question in your OP, what do 'you' believe the meaning of life is? Why are we here?

Yours and His,
David
To learn about relationships, for that is what the universe is designed for.

Upvote 0