Confronting small problems in teen class

P

pauljrose

I presented a devotional last Sunday in the teenage class at our Church. There was about 20 teens in the class and they were all attentive and respectful. I kept the devotion to about 20 minutes because that is about all they can stand. When I am near the end of my devotion I noticed that two teens had IPOD head phones in their ears. I didn't say anything. Do you think I should have said something? Why would the parents allow teens to do this? I am sure they all had cell phones. I feel cell pones and such items as IPODs do not belong in such settings as the teen class in church services. What do you think?

FollowHisPath

Senior Veteran
Jun 17, 2004
Virgina
✟12,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It is church. They shouldnt have anything like that in church. It was a class, but what would happen if they did that in the actual church service and the music was up loud enough that people around them could hear it? I personally beleive that there should be no Ipods in church, and if you are going to have a phone have it on silent or leave it in your car. Church isnt the place to be listening to muisc other then music the church provides and cell phones. I think next time they do it you should say something to them, before it dose happen in church service.

Upvote 0

NathanHocking

Mar 2, 2008
Adelaide
✟15,494.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
I would have stopped and asked them to turn it off. If you don't at least take notice these kids will just continue do such things. If you feel you cant talk to them, can you talk their parents?

Worst comes to worst make a pod cast of the devotional for them.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It's understandable that you handled it the way you did. Me personally, I think I would have asked them to please turn it off and put it away. reason being is because other kids might feel they can get away with it as well. Before next service you could address the issuse. Asking everyone to check their phones and put them on silent/turn them off and please make sure IPODS and all are put away. I say that because it's not only disrespectful to have it out while your teacher but some would say it's disrespectful to God as well.

Upvote 0

stephanieamber

i am gonna love like you've never seen.
Jan 6, 2009
#upperleftusa
Visit site
✟14,418.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
Now that you have seen that this is an issue, address it to everyone. Just say that you've noticed that people have been using cell phones/ipods/whatever in times when they shouldn't be. Stress the importance of fellowship and being where they are (if that makes sense) and then set in place a list of rules regarding the use of electronics.

A few weeks ago I noticed that most of my girls were texting the whole time. I told them to turn them off or they could go sit in the hall by themselves and text their hearts out if they thought that was more important than being part of the group. It was a bit harsh, but guess what.. there have been less issues :)

Upvote 0

Extrovertical

Mar 26, 2009
✟15,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, maybe I see things a little differently than everyone else, but c'mon if they were listening to headphones it only means that everyone else could hear you and they couldn't...that sounds like an opportunity to me!!! I can think of about a million things I could do with that and all of them will solve your problem in a hurry. Now of course you don't want to do anything that would over embarrass them but, hey, what's the fun of being a youth leader if you can't play a couple of pranks now and again?

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ipods = no
Phones = maybe there was one time I HAD to leave church early.
on top of that one time I got sick in church and needed to call to get home.

you have to remember some of those kids may be forced to go to church and really don't want to be there.
making rules is just going to make them stray more from the church.

Upvote 0

sjwilliams1111

man of god
Apr 24, 2009
fresno california
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
i personally believe that cells need to be on atleast vibrate, and absolutely no texting, if they have a phone call from a parent or guardian then they can ask to be excused from the lesson to talk,(hopefully they dont lie about that)... but ipods are absolutely unexceptable rather in teen meeting and especially church, if it was me who had caught them i would have asked them to put them away, but if i see them doing it again then i would just straight up ask them for their headphones, so if they have ipod, they still couldnt listen to it.. but hopefully our youth isnt that defiant and they respect the authority of their youth leader..

Upvote 0

Starting again

Aug 30, 2004
the city! the best city in NZ. Christchurch!!
✟15,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure how I feel about this, I guess in a perfect world it would be good if they didn't listen to their ipods and listened to you instead.
The thing is maybe them being there in the first place influanced someone else to be there who actually listened and got something out of what you said.
and if the ipod ppl that came hadn't maybe this other person would have missed out.
I think it is good they were there to start with, is it not there choice weither they listen to you or not? there loss if they miss what God wanted to tel them.
Yeah sure, say something to them, but if it becomes a big deal I would leave it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Parents generally expect more self-control of teens than they really have, and teens will generally do what they can get away with, especially if they're compelled to going to Sunday School or to church.

At the start somewhere just announce it's time to put away your iPods, put your phones away, and we'll get to the lesson, or to the music, or something. Exceptions: if someone has their Bible on an iPod or iTouch, that's ok. But they need to remain focused on their Bible.

We often "bump" Bible readings, too. The leader gives a passage and "bumps" the passage reading to someone, "Bump Karen". Then Karen has to read at least one verse, and bump the rest to someone else. Hard to deal with that with an iPod in your ear.

"20 minutes is all they can stand", but they're quiet for about 50 minutes in school classes. If you integrate the impatience, find out what's making it happen, that can help. Is it lack of fellowship with others? Great, expand some time so they can get to know one another. Are they bored with things they've heard again & again? Hm, often that's because they aren't spurred to think about applying what they've heard. Are they simply skeptical it "works this way" because they have tried it? Maybe they're more involved -- thus have more mature questions -- about the way things work, or maybe they've "thought Christianity too hard and left it untried."

Lessons can be more interactive, more collaborative, more engaging too. They've gotta internalize the teaching, while school teaching is didactic and often just a firehose of information they can forget after a test. We let kids sit on window ledges, the floor, fidget, move around, but they also need to participate and push back. If you're not connecting, ask for relevant examples, what does Jesus mean by x when you're at school, what's Paul getting at with y when you're out at the mall, is this flying over your head.

Upvote 0