Visit site
✟16,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
About five months ago my boyfriend broke up with me. When I finally learned his reasons, a large part of those reasons were that he thought I did not have enough confidence and was too easily discouraged or too negative. These are things I have struggled with for most of my life. And with the growth of my faith in the past few years, the Holy Spirit has been transforming me. I am a far different person than I was, even when he met me 14 months ago.

It troubled me to hear him, because I had already come so far and was still travelling. My own mother had told me a few months ago how negative I used to be, and how much more positive I have become. I don't know why he couldn't have accepted me as a work in progress, because that's what we all are. I wasn't trying to fool him by concealing my real self. I wasn't changing just for the sake of the relationship. I have had steady momentum in this change for at least a few years. But that is irrelevant now.

What troubles me most is to reflect that he had those criticisms throughout our relationship. I do not mean to cast him into an unflattering light. Understand that he had praise on his lips as often as criticism, at least at the outset, and he sometimes encouraged me in my efforts. And he took it upon himself to try to change me, which was beyond his call and eventually exhausted him before he broke up with me, but you must understand that he had my best interests in mind and was not merely criticizing.

I know that Satan wants to use this break-up to bring me down again. It has been five months and I have not healed (while he, on the other hand, shut that book and moved on a long time ago). Yet throughout this ordeal, my confidence had not been tarnished because I had not based it upon the relationship. It had not been tarnished, that is, until yesterday, when I learned why he broke up with me.

I still struggle a little with negativity, and certainly with discouragement. But I would no longer say that confidence is much of a struggle for me. I respect myself as the image of God and can acknowledge both strengths and weaknesses with equity. I have even embraced my physical appearance, which I had dashed all my life. From a worldly standpoint, I "like" myself. Where I have suffered is in confidence regarding relationships. I struggled with feelings of not being good enough for him while we were together, and I sometimes mused about how another Christian girl I knew would be better for him. Though it reflects a lack of confidence, it is also a product of my admiration for him; I had searched for so long for a man I could respect, and when I found one, I realized he deserved a woman better than me. I never shared those fears with him nor told him those thoughts. I knew it was his place to make that call, and not mine, so I left it to his disgression. Yet when I finally started to accept that those thoughts must not be rational, I find out that I really wasn't good enough. This hurts all the more since I have worked so diligently to change and have allowed God to work on my heart. To have come so far and to still suffer rejection is painful, and yes, even discouraging.

Every criticism he had last year stung me. If I thought back, I am sure that I could remember a majority of them, and I am speaking even of specific instances, not just general categories. I wanted desperately to make him happy, and any criticism he offered was not only a signal to me to I still had progress to make, but drove me to intensify my effort. I have been constantly conscious of my status on many of them, and that consciousness has been a filter for my thoughts and actions.

I am, frankly, very frightened to be in another relationship, much less marry. Not only was I rejected after I threw my utmost into the relationship (my best wasn't good enough), but also my fears of losing him were confirmed. I have formed an association between criticism and rejection. I know that criticism is often intended for good. The Bible exhorts us not to judge, but certainly to correct and instruct with gentleness. Yet when people criticize me, I feel that I am letting them down. And the more criticical he became, the more I felt that I was disappointing him. And in the end, he did finally reject me. I am so frightened of being criticized by another that I hold dear, because I do not want to love and lose this way again. If I am criticized, I am certain I will take it too hard. And I am not sure that I can trust him to be there. In my heart, I am going to think that he will eventually go the way of my ex-boyfriend.

In sum, I don't know how I can ever have the confidence to pursue another relationship with someone on the level of my ex-boyfriend, yet I am unwilling to settle for less of a person. And I don't know how I can ever accept criticism again without taking it as rejection.

straightedge

Mar 10, 2004
Davie, Florida
✟564.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
All I can tell u is, do not change as a Christian. I was kinda in your shoes too. Because I could have 'faked' a relationship that could have been. But, her believes were not on the same page. Could I be still with her if I didn't tell her who I was as a Christian, more then likley. But, I don't dance.

Hang in their. My thing is now, I'd rather not a have a girl yet, because I'm going up north to college in fall next year. Only, if God places that person in my life, then, and only than it might work out. 14 months wow, mine was like 1.5 months, so can't imagine what you are going through.

Upvote 0

Alenci

To God be the glory
Sep 2, 2002
Lost in thought
Visit site
✟16,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All I can tell u is, do not change as a Christian. I was kinda in your shoes too. Because I could have 'faked' a relationship that could have been. But, her believes were not on the same page. Could I be still with her if I didn't tell her who I was as a Christian, more then likley. But, I don't dance.

Hang in their. My thing is now, I'd rather not a have a girl yet, because I'm going up north to college in fall next year. Only, if God places that person in my life, then, and only than it might work out. 14 months wow, mine was like 1.5 months, so can't imagine what you are going through.

The thing is, I know God wants to use this for His glory. I know God is calling me not merely to submit the relationship, but to completely give him up. And I know that I can only move forward and grow in the Lord when I have. I need to learn to be a strong, joyful person without him in my life. I need to love God with my whole heart. I can see where I need to be. It's getting there that is unspeakably difficult.

Upvote 0

EmbracingHim

My foundation, my heart, our Rock, our Lord
Sep 3, 2006
California
✟17,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know break-ups hurt, but often the stated reasons (for example your boyfriend's) will be viewed different by different people. Don't be discouraged. We are all different and not everyone will like everything about us. You can find two people who will state the exact opposite of one another as far as personal preferences go.

In addition, some people (both men and women) are ego-driven and they want to feel superior to others...so they will say things to hurt others for the wrong reasons. I wouldn't put too much faith in a single opinion.

The good news is that God loves you exactly the way you are...and he created you...so I wouldn't worry about what one man says (hurt aside).

Upvote 0

winglovesall

Apr 26, 2005
✟18,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow, that has been a very inspirational piece to read over and to see that God has transformed you.

What I would say is that God has a wonderful plan for you and that plan is in his hands. All you need to do is to keep your focus on strengthening your relationship with God, lover of all.

Relationship break-ups are difficult to go through but there's always a purpose and God has certainly used the purpose of that relationship to enrich your levels of positivity and confidence. So to see it on a positive perspective - see the break up as a lesson for you because God loves you and God WANTS to change you and he will always be there for you and he will always be using people around you to transform the character within you.

Don't be frightened to go into another relationship - because if you can twist your thoughts and see it as part of your growth, you will feel better.

Focus on your relationship with God because God will bring you people that will transform you.

When you become a Christian, you officially have accepted that God will change you and that God will always be your priority. So, don't give up!

Hope that has helped you!

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
I need to keep a book list on my computer or thumb drive so I can post what I have been reading that has helped me.
I too have struggled with similar issues and have been making some small steps at progress. Like you I am not quite where I want to be, but have been heading there. There are many books that have helped me. Tony Robbins-Awaken The Giant Within is all about making changes in how you see things. Robbins also has some very good, but expensive audio programs that go into even more detail about making powerful changes in your life. I would also reccomend Jack Canfield's The Alladin Factor and The Success Principles. The second one does have more of a business application, but it has lots of very concrete stuff on goals, affirmations, and other techniques for making your life go the way you want it. Realize that these books are not the end all and be all, but they can help the journey. I think we are called on to do all we can, but there is a point where we must rely on God for some of our progress.

Upvote 0