Confession - A Roman Catholic thread

Why are so few Catholics participating in the Sacrament of Confession today?

• They don't need to - they don't commit sins that need to be confessed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The parish priest is busy enough without having to hear so many confessions.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • It takes too much time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is a personal matter between the Catholic and God.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • They can receive communion without undergoing Confession.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,487.00
Faith
Non-Denom
While most non-denominational congregations are Baptist and/or Pentecostal in theology and practice, some others are clones of the Churches of Christ.

Because the Cs of C believe in and practice weekly Communion, discovering a non-denominational church somewhere that has weekly Communion isn't so peculiar after all. There is one near my home, as a matter of fact. And it is not because many members are ex-Catholics as was suggested as a reason for the weekly Communion.

Quite true. The concept of non-denominationalism becomes rather blurred when various associations of such churches develop with distinct theological stances. For example, as you cited, there are the Churches of Christ which, although non-denominational in profession, are, for all intents and purposes, another denomination. My own group, the Plymouth Brethren, are non-denominational in profession, but are divided into various groups of churches, forming small, but distinct denominations. IMO when three or more churches decide to link together for various reasons on a permanent basis a denomination can be perceived. That, of course, has both positive and negative aspects.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quite true. The concept of non-denominationalism becomes rather blurred when various associations of such churches develop with distinct theological stances. For example, as you cited, there are the Churches of Christ which, although non-denominational in profession, are, for all intents and purposes, another denomination. My own group, the Plymouth Brethren, are non-denominational in profession, but are divided into various groups of churches, forming small, but distinct denominations. IMO when three or more churches decide to link together for various reasons on a permanent basis a denomination can be perceived. That, of course, has both positive and negative aspects.
Since this thread focuses on confession, how do the members of your church confess their sins?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Quite true. The concept of non-denominationalism becomes rather blurred when various associations of such churches develop with distinct theological stances. For example, as you cited, there are the Churches of Christ which, although non-denominational in profession, are, for all intents and purposes, another denomination.
Not to argue with your point here, but my comment was different. I said that some of the non-denoms are almost identical to Churches of Christ, hence the practice of weekly Communion--not that the Churches of Christ are, in effect, non-denominational themselves.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,487.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Not to argue with your point here, but my comment was different. I said that some of the non-denoms are almost identical to Churches of Christ, hence the practice of weekly Communion--not that the Churches of Christ are, in effect, non-denominational themselves.

I apologize for my misunderstanding. The irony that I find is that the various members of Churches of Christ I have encountered have been quite insistent that they are non-denominational.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,487.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Since this thread focuses on confession, how do the members of your church confess their sins?

That is a very good question. We confess our sins to our Great High Priest, the Lord Jesus Christ, who ever lives to intercede for us at the right hand of the Father. We have His assurance in I John 1:9 that if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for my misunderstanding. The irony that I find is that the various members of Churches of Christ I have encountered have been quite insistent that they are non-denominational.
Yes, they do say that. It was the original intention of the early members of the movement, but the Cs of C have become a denomination in all but name since then. It does complicate the issue we have been talking about, I know.

Upvote 0

Guadalupana

J†M†J
Sep 7, 2016
USA
✟8,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our parish has confession every day of the week. 1.5-2 hours every week night and 4 hours Saturdays and Sundays before and during Mass. There is ALWAYS a line. Our parish is very traditional. The Liturgy of the Eucharist is in Latin, the Priest encourages 'old' devotions, CCD is taught by religious only and free for all, the precious gift of confession is a frequent topic during homilies. If you teach about confession and offer it frequently PEOPLE WILL COME.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not going to read ten pages of replies to see where the conversation ended up, so...

It's because of poor catechesis and the ever growing influence of secular society. When I was growing up Catholic, I had no idea what confession really was. I made my first reconciliation, but I don't recall what (if anything) we were taught about the sacrament. I was so poorly catechized that I didn't really know we could keep going to confession, and believed that the smallest of sins would send someone to hell- confessed or unconfessed. So, catechesis was, for me, about the biggest reason I didn't go back. What's the point if I'm going to Hell anyways? Of course I know better now, but so many people don't.

On the other side of the spectrum are those who falsely believe that God will forgive anything "if you're just really sorry". People avoid the sacrament because it brings them shame to confess their faults to someone else, because they believe that "God will understand", and they just don't see the point.

Ultimately, I think poor catechesis is the root of the problem. Everything begins with that.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I went to confession this week for the first time in around 12 years. I felt really good to get back in good standing and have a clean slate. The priest was great and really put me at ease with the whole process, he's a retired Air Force chaplain so we had that rapport since I'm active duty Air Force.

If you're on the fence about going I say please go, it's worth it!

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0