NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I've discussed this topic before but I struggle with OCD and this OCD leads me to make "oaths" with God on a daily basis. I was recently was going to make a trip to go across country on a plane (I am scared of planes) but the trip was cancelled due to me having to stay for school. This was not before I made a pact with God to protect me and not kill me in a plane crash if I stopped some type of action. I did not stop this action and recently asked God to stopped giving me chances to complete this oath. The promises got worse and I even think I said once "God please kill me if I don't stop...". Now back to the present... I'm terrified more than ever to travel on planes because I couldn't keep this oath (which is weird because I stopped this action anyway but I asked God to stopped giving me chances so). This OCD has taken over my life and has stopped me from living life fulfilling experiences (like always having to say no when I am invited to travel). I turned to scripture for help and it just scared me even further since God was killing (striking) people for doing less than what I did (... masturbating the promise was masturbating). I know it's my OCD but I can't shake it. This leads to me to feeling sad often when I think about traveling since I am young but can't shake the feeling God might kill me if I ever decide too. Thank you to whoever is reading this; just needed too vent.

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible tells us "let your yes be yes and your no no, anything more than this is from the evil one". The bible tells us that making oaths is not what God wants, but what Satan desires. Make no oath, and don't worry about the ones you have made. For none of us "can't make one hair black" , we don't have the ability to keep oaths, so both stop making them, and stop trying to keep them.

Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

TommySoda

Apr 14, 2018
NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The bible tells us "let your yes be yes and your no no, anything more than this is from the evil one". The bible tells us that making oaths is not what God wants, but what Satan desires. Make no oath, and don't worry about the ones you have made. For none of us "can't make one hair black" , we don't have the ability to keep oaths, so both stop making them, and stop trying to keep them.
What should I do about my plane OCD?

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'd like to tell you just go on the trip and don't worry about it. God will not hold you responsible for foolish oaths made because of ocd. I am sure in time He will help you overcome the problem, so there will no longer be even the appearance of evil.

I am concerned about your mental state if you go and are afraid. You will have to ultimately decide for yourself if you will be able to fly without excessive fear. I will be praying that you will overcome the fear due to ocd and be free to travel as you wish in the future.

Upvote 0

TommySoda

Apr 14, 2018
NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to tell you just go on the trip and don't worry about it. God will not hold you responsible for foolish oaths made because of ocd. I am sure in time He will help you overcome the problem, so there will no longer be even the appearance of evil.

I am concerned about your mental state if you go and are afraid. You will have to ultimately decide for yourself if you will be able to fly without excessive fear. I will be praying that you will overcome the fear due to ocd and be free to travel as you wish in the future.
How do I know God will forgive me and not end up killing me if I may ask?

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't have any way to be confident that God is not angry with you, as long as OCD is a strong factor in your thinking. That is why I'm concerned about you having excessive fear. But I'm not at all concerned about danger or lack of forgiveness. I pray that you will be able to overcome OCD and will see your fear as unnecessary in the future.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The bible says

Php 4:6-7 Have no cares; but in everything with prayer and praise put your requests before God. And the peace of God, which is deeper than all knowledge, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

The bible tells us that as we spend time in prayer God will strengthen us, and give us peace. Prayer should be a part of our life style. We need to pray regularly and consistently. Jesus said

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

We naturally are weak, subject to mood swings, etc, but when we pray God's spirit gives us strength over our weaknesses.

Upvote 0

josef7

Joe
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2017
Madison WI
✟52,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Martin Luther and his mentor Staupitz both struggled with making vows and finding themselves powerless to keep them. Eventually they both had to learn to trust in Christ's mercy despite their inability. God didn't cast them off because they had failed to keep the vows that they made. On the other hand, God doesn't promise that our plane or car won't crash. It sounds like you need to let go of trying to find a way to make God do what you want, and accept (and confess) that whether the plane makes it or not is in God's hands, but as a Christian you're trusting in His mercy either way. Romans 14:8, Whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums