Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
First, my favorite powder for now is PowerPistol and 2400 but I have to agree on your assessment of HP38/Win238. They are both clean and they do take less per load, but when you look at their weight/volume ratio you get a very small amount of powder so that when you aim the gun the powder is down at the bottom of the case and ignition/burn is on the lower half of the case. My experience has been that those hotter powders which take less (for us stingy types, LOL) are also more sensitive to even the most minor deviations. The best situation is a powder that will produce the desired effects with a full case and no compression. That allows that the primer will always spark the powder in the near center and always produce the same effect regardless of the angle of the cartridge. One example of that is that Alliant 2400 will fill the .357 magnum case nearly 100 percent. It will just touch the base of a properly seated 158 grain bullet and not require compression.
Good points... Now I have to do more testing!!

Thanks!

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good points... Now I have to do more testing!!

Thanks!
If you get into a 9mm carbine with a 16" barrel (Ruger or HiPoint I am sure of) I found that 5.9 grains of PowerPistol behind a 124 grain Hornady XTP using CCI SP primers and the mil-type cases was the most accurate.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's me, and not the pistol. They all go where they should from a sand bag rest. They all go low when I shoot freehand; from a number of different loads. I need to work on me.
I have joined IDPA, and PPC; I will be doing the PPC training July 9, 2019 and will be shooting my Norinco NZ85 (I have since put on CZ75 overmolded stock rubber grips, and it is now the perfect pistol for me.) My cousin will be taking the course as well, and since he has yet to buy a centrefire pistol, I am loaning him the 1911; and we will have the Jericho as a back-up.

Our club has also restarted ISSF .22 timed bullseye pistol shooting every thursday, and I have been actively participating. I have actually been winning with my old High Standard Sport King, but have seen much improvement in others over these past few weeks... I need to up my game.

I looked at everything available in a so called "target" pistol under $600.00; Ruger Mk II, III IV and 2245, Beretta Neos, S & W Victory, Browning Buck-Mark, and was not super happy with any of them. Not one fit me as well or felt as natural as my HS; apart from the Ruger MK pistols, the plastic/aluminum/sheet metal just did not turn my crank.

I found a dealer within a reasonable drive who had a couple old HS Sharpshooter M s in stock and I went to look at them. One was older with the flat top slide, it had a good 90% finish but the barrel was a different colour and appeared to be much newer; the second had an all-round 99.95 finish of high luster blue with the barrel again appearing to be virtually new in condition. He let me dry fire both, and both had identical trigger pulls; short take up, solid point just before a crisp break at about 3 Lb. Only slightly different than my Sport King which has almost zero take up after reset. Same grip angle but with the thumb-rest on the grip; and bonus: takes the same mag as my other HS (here in Canada, that is like a $100.00 bonus!!!). Both were priced at $450.00 Canadian; I bought the newer one with the round top. I am waiting on the transfer, and expect to pick it up on my way home from vacation.

This is the one I bought, but it has the original grips shown in the second picture, except just like new:
22UH3679_1024x1024.jpg

22UH3553_2_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's me, and not the pistol. They all go where they should from a sand bag rest. They all go low when I shoot freehand; from a number of different loads. I need to work on me.
I have joined IDPA, and PPC; I will be doing the PPC training July 9, 2019 and will be shooting my Norinco NZ85 (I have since put on CZ75 overmolded stock rubber grips, and it is now the perfect pistol for me.) My cousin will be taking the course as well, and since he has yet to buy a centrefire pistol, I am loaning him the 1911; and we will have the Jericho as a back-up.

Our club has also restarted ISSF .22 timed bullseye pistol shooting every thursday, and I have been actively participating. I have actually been winning with my old High Standard Sport King, but have seen much improvement in others over these past few weeks... I need to up my game.

I looked at everything available in a so called "target" pistol under $600.00; Ruger Mk II, III IV and 2245, Beretta Neos, S & W Victory, Browning Buck-Mark, and was not super happy with any of them. Not one fit me as well or felt as natural as my HS; apart from the Ruger MK pistols, the plastic/aluminum/sheet metal just did not turn my crank.

I found a dealer within a reasonable drive who had a couple old HS Sharpshooter M s in stock and I went to look at them. One was older with the flat top slide, it had a good 90% finish but the barrel was a different colour and appeared to be much newer; the second had an all-round 99.95 finish of high luster blue with the barrel again appearing to be virtually new in condition. He let me dry fire both, and both had identical trigger pulls; short take up, solid point just before a crisp break at about 3 Lb. Only slightly different than my Sport King which has almost zero take up after reset. Same grip angle but with the thumb-rest on the grip; and bonus: takes the same mag as my other HS (here in Canada, that is like a $100.00 bonus!!!). Both were priced at $450.00 Canadian; I bought the newer one with the round top. I am waiting on the transfer, and expect to pick it up on my way home from vacation.

This is the one I bought, but it has the original grips shown in the second picture, except just like new:
22UH3679_1024x1024.jpg

22UH3553_2_1024x1024.jpg
Before my dad passed away last year he told me many times he wanted exactly that pistol. Sadly, the only one I found was $1200.00USD and I could not afford it or would have bought it in a heart beat for him. Super nice find friend.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Before my dad passed away last year he told me many times he wanted exactly that pistol. Sadly, the only one I found was $1200.00USD and I could not afford it or would have bought it in a heart beat for him. Super nice find friend.
Your dad had great taste! Would that have been one of the last new ones built in Texas? The last years they were unavailable here in Canada, and Brownels sold them I think. Seems to me there was nothing under $1000.00 US.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I shot my first two PPC matches yesterday; one "600" and one "Service Pistol". It was a lot of fun! I had some issues with the Jericho, and had six shots that did not make it out of the gun; dirt in the decocker prevented the hammer from falling. I washed it out with Gunzilla, then wiped and oiled it. In the Service Pistol class I shot 411 out of 480. Not great, but not bad for a guy who has never shot left handed, or prone. LOL

I will be shooting more PPC in the future.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I finally shot a 3 gun match last month. Still a beginner with shotgun and PCC (shot that instead of a .223) so it was a relief when we got to the handgun portions. Lots of fun, was safe, even finished as top lady and didn't get DQ'd!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I finally shot a 3 gun match last month. Still a beginner with shotgun and PCC (shot that instead of a .223) so it was a relief when we got to the handgun portions. Lots of fun, was safe, even finished as top lady and didn't get DQ'd!
Good job!!!

Upvote 0

thomas15

Be Thou my vision
Supporter
Apr 18, 2019
Lehighton
✟57,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm active in competition circles. I compete in either Steel Challenge or other similar static steel competitions. Currently I'm enjoying a hard earned score slump. Actually this summer I was dealt with an illness and that greatly contributed to my slump.

In Steel Challenge my preferred division is OSR (Optical Sight Revolver). In that division I'm just a few seconds short of being reclassified Master. 2.5 years ago I was at low "D" class. I also compete in ISR (Iron Sight Revolver), Open Rimfire Pistol, Carry Optics and Open Rimfire Rifle.

I handload for all of my centerfire guns. I'm a certified RSO (NRA, USPSA/NROI w/Steel Challenge endorsement and IDPA). I compete in 40-45 matches a year and handload about 12,000 rounds/year. That's what I do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thomas15

Be Thou my vision
Supporter
Apr 18, 2019
Lehighton
✟57,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most of my competition is with revolvers. I started shooting handguns about 6 years ago shooting mainly 9mm autoloaders. I had a S&W 6906 9mm, when I bought it (used) I had no real idea what I was going to do with it, mainly just plink I suppose.

I had membership in one of the nicer private gun clubs in NE PA, I joined this because they had a strong Junior program and I was looking for a place for my son. My son really didn't want to do it but I kept up my membership and after getting my 6906 I responded to an offer at my club that was hosting an IDPA introduction class. Took my 6906 to the class and on the way home from it purchased a Glock 17 (the first of 3 G17s I have).

I should mention that my Dad ran a Jr. Rifle club/team for many years and I literally grew up on a rifle range shooting 3&4 position smallbore rifle.

After about a year of IDPA, I felt that I wasn't cut out to shoot competitive handguns and was thinking about giving it up. Then my company gave me a really nice Christmas bonus and for some unknown reason (probably satanic LOL!), I purchased my first revolver, a S&W 686. I just fell in love with that gun and started shooting static steel in a local league. First year I absolutely sucked but was having fun finally. I started the 2016 season with a S&W 929 (8 shot, 9mm) revolver. And the rest is as they say, history.

At the present time I have 3 competition revolvers, my 686 which I had cut for moons and two 929s, one iron sight the other optic. All of them have had action work, 6-7 pound DAO triggers and a bunch of other improvements, My OSR revo has a C-MORE RTS-2 red dot 8MOA. My holsters are DAA Race Masters or Ghost with 2 pc competition belts.

My production gun is a G34 which I won. My carry optics gun is my original G17 with competition trigger and all of the allowable (USPSA & IDPA) modifications and a Burris FF3 dot on a EGW dovetail mount. My BUG is a G26 for now but I just won a S&W M&P shield that will probably become my BUG. I have a few others in my collection that I haven't figured out what to do with yet.

My Rimfire pistol is a S&W Victory which has a Tamdemkross trigger, comp, charging handle, grip. thumb shelf safety, and sight mount. That gun has a C-More slide ride 8moa and a Striplin thumb shelf. It is a decent gun. My Rimfire rifle is a S&W M&P AR 15-22 that has a CMC drop in trigger and Magpol add-ons and a C-MORE Railway dot on a tru-glo 3/4" pick riser. That gun, like my Victory pistol were both originally impulse purchases but I have found a home for them and they are all way more accurate than my skills warrant at this time.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thomas15

Be Thou my vision
Supporter
Apr 18, 2019
Lehighton
✟57,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as handloading is concerned I have a dedicated bench with currently two presses mounted on inline fabrications riser mounts, a Hornady LNL progressive press and an RCBS turret press but I have a Rockchucker and several Lee single stage presses in backup. Because of the high volume of ammo I consume I run two vibratory tumblers at a time. Since I'm old fashioned I use an RCBS 505 beam scale but I have at least 5 powder scales on my bench.

I handload 9mm, 38/357 and 38 long/short Colt, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP since I have several 1911s. In rifle I load .223, 270, 30-08 and 35 Remington. When I took the NRA class to become certified to teach handloading my instructor instilled in me a love for Redding hardware and so I have a bunch of brass prep and measuring tools by Redding and also some Hornady tools. I also have an RCBS Charge Master the older deluxe model which is really nice to have. I hardly ever shoot factory ammo anymore.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My Rimfire rifle is a S&W M&P AR 15-22 that has a CMC drop in trigger and Magpol add-ons and a C-MORE Railway dot on a tru-glo 3/4" pick riser.
I usually shoot speed steel with a Buckmark, but this month I used a stock M&P 15-22 with a C-more. It was a lot of fun, so I might do it more often.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0