The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Went to the Glock indoor match, it was okay but not as much fun as the outdoors one. But a nice alternative during bad weather.
It's mostly about accuracy, timed shots with target distances from 25 feet to 75 feet.
Maximum score is 500, so I was happy with my 488. Have to see if I can do better next time though!

I joined the GSSF and am shooting in my first indoor match this Saturday. Shooting in the stock class with my G29. I called the range to find out the course of fire they use and when I told him I was shooting a sub-compact 10mm, he chuckled and said good luck. Only one other guy shoots 10mm and it's the long-slide G40 with a red dot sight.

I've been doing a lot of obsessing over the match and have been working on the most accurate reloads with the least amount of recoil.

My pistol does not understand the concept of accurate and low recoil. It likes the mid-power loads with the most expensive Hornady bullets the best, so I ended up with 5.7gr of Unique behind a 180gr Hornady XTP HP.

Took it out today and shot it with the new Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight and managed to barely keep all rounds in 9". That was using the Course of Fire Option A that the range uses for the match.

488 is very impressive! I'll be happy to break 450 my first try!

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure you will do fine! It's quite different than shooting the out door matches.
The second week I did terrible (456) and this final week I shot a 492. Since they
average the two best scores, the crummy one gets removed and I averaged 490.
I'm happy with that.
So far they said no one has scored a perfect 500.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Everyone tells me to do the outdoor matches, but I'm in the middle of nowhere and an outdoor match would require an overnight stay and about 3 hours of driving each way. That adds quite a bit of expense on top of the 10mm ammo and $25 entry fee for each of the four divisions I qualify for with my G29...

I'm hoping to win a 9mm Glock to reduce the costs and make me more competitive... ;-)

Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Shot in the match and had mixed results...

First I shot in Stock division and was super nervous and shot too quickly. Just awful. Got a 427.

I asked if I could shoot in the unlimited division with my stock Glock and they said that was fine. I was able to slow down a bit and shot a 468. I ended up coming in 4th overall and winning in Unlimited.

I discovered that the red fiber optic sight was not very visible indoors, so I've switched it out to green.

I also discovered that shooting a 10mm and getting back on target quick enough to aim again at 25yds is very, very difficult.

My targets:

IMG_20170527_122155977.jpg

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Looking good! Congrats on the Unlimited win!

I came in second overall, and won top lady. I really wish they would post the scores of everyone on the GSSF website like they do the outdoor matches. I would like to know how many people shot the match and what the scores were.

They are having an outdoor match locally this weekend, so I'll be doing that on Sunday.
Still hoping to win a Glock!

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The farthest I've driven to one is an hour and a half. I know many people that spend six or more hours driving to one (sometimes a lot longer!) and make a mini vacation out of it.
Now that I am retired, that is something I think I will do eventually-find a match at a place that looks interesting and spend a few days exploring the area as well as doing the match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I bombed the Ladies Side Match at the GSSF match (4th out of 10) but did okay in the Civilian portion
(9th out of 72). I was actually top civilian lady so I won $75, first time winning something and deducting
the match fees, I still put some money in my pocket.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nice! I don't think they have cash prizes in the indoor matches.

I just replied to an email from Stephanie Stone with GSSF trying to get my GSSF membership sorted out. I filled out a membership form at my first match and the range never sent it in apparently. She had it taken care of within hours of me emailing her.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I just replied to an email from Stephanie Stone with GSSF trying to get my GSSF membership sorted out. I filled out a membership form at my first match and the range never sent it in apparently. She had it taken care of within hours of me emailing her.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
No, no cash at the indoor matches. The indoor match was much more expensive to shoot and the prize table left something to be desired. I'm not planning to shoot another one.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Really? Entry fee was only $15 per class and no range fees or anything for mine.
When I signed up, it said it was $20. I though that covered all three weeks but that was per week. Since there were three weeks, it came to $60. For $25 I can shoot an out door match, or $50 if I want to shoot
the ladies side match and the civilian match. Cheaper than the indoor and much greater odds of winning something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Shot 115 rounds of 10mm yesterday trying to find a load that my KKM barrel and my stock barrel like.

Getting closer. 5.2gr of W231 behind a 180gr Hornady XTP is getting me closer to 2" or better at 25yds and is very soft shooting.

IMG_20170621_182756168.jpg

Reactions: ChavaK
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I discovered that the red fiber optic sight was not very visible indoors, so I've switched it out to green.

I just took a three day IDPA training course and the last day involved a shoot house (first time I've done one, lots of fun!). I also had trouble seeing the red fiber optic indoors.

Upvote 0

the_medic

Apr 20, 2017
Midwest
✟15,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would LOVE to get into competition shooting. There's a 3-gun coming up in our area, and I want to enter it so badly! Unfortunately, between my work schedule/nursing school & my husband's LE/ARNG schedules, and three kids, we're lucky to be able to find time to shoot at all! We do enjoy a variety of competitive shooting between each other & other family members as well as hunting.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I would LOVE to get into competition shooting. There's a 3-gun coming up in our area, and I want to enter it so badly! Unfortunately, between my work schedule/nursing school & my husband's LE/ARNG schedules, and three kids, we're lucky to be able to find time to shoot at all! We do enjoy a variety of competitive shooting between each other & other family members as well as hunting.
I completely understand! When I was working it was difficult to find time to compete.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The National Matches are on right now at Camp Perry and I will tell you from experience: most of the shooters are either juniors or seniors. Many working people have the same difficulties with fitting a match into their schedule that others have posted here. The ammunition shortages of a few years ago put a damper on a lot of growth in the shooting sports that I do not believe has fully rebounded yet.

Upvote 0