Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is my drawing of Jesus Christ. You can watch the time lapse video on youtube. It is a digital painting I made on ipadpro. Thank you for watching. Likes and subscribtions to my channel are appreciated.
You can also follow me :
fb.me/tozanium
instagram.com/tozanium
Hi; in the end, it's faith in the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ that really counts for time and eternity. :)

But you are a very good artist! Seems like that you would be inspired by good portfolios in tattoo parlors; your style is very similar to that of many tattoo artists.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
View attachment 223461 These are ballpoint pen. They are a loose style. I need to work on more smoothness and definite lines. A few minutes work each, trying to get my eye to follow details. They have a number of proportion issues!

It has been some years since I did much art and am tring to get back into it.
That's awesome, wish I could draw like that.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's awesome, wish I could draw like that.

Thank you, Do you draw at all? Despite what some think, it is something you can usually learn.

I would have to dig up some of my old drawings from when I was in my early teens. They were terrible. But drawing from a picture reference, over time, builds your ability to see detail, and then try to put what you see. Some people try to draw without reference at first, and that is difficult because we don't have all the details of the things we see every day memorized. Eventually if you draw a lot from reference, you learn to draw without it. But that is based on all the details you have seen over time. Learning to draw is first of all learning to see. And the repetition builds up your hand dexterity.

For anyone who is interested in trying, the biggest tip I can give is to focus on what you are drawing more than on your paper. Learn to move the pen/pencil without looking at it, to follow the contours of the object your are drawing. Most people if you watch them draw from reference will look at their paper about 70-80 percent of the time. Try reversing that and looking at the object being drawn that much of the time, and just to the paper occasionally to make sure you are still in the right spot.

A second tip that helped me is to eliminate mental comments that are unhelpful. Don't think "this isn't looking the same as the picture", or "this is terrible", etc. More constructive discussion would be, "how is this line that I drew different from the original?", "Is the original convex or concave?" "How far is this element from that element?" Etc.

At first what you might do is just draw it the best you can. Then go back and study the differences between yours and the original. Mark each one. You may even redraw some of the lines to more closely match, leaving the old ones for comparison.

My daughter recently started drawing people. She was struggling with it. But by learning this method of doing her best, then comparing, then redrawing she now is doing quite well within only a few weeks. She made an agreement to draw every day over winter break. She would draw from reference a single figure. Then mark the differences, then draw it again. Then mark the differences on that one and draw it again. Usually by the fourth attempt at the same figure it was pretty good.

Another thing that can help is to turn the picture upside down and then draw it. This helps to draw just what you see, rather than reading your picture of what you think a person should look like into it. When my daughter is struggling to get things right it is usually her mental picture overriding the actual. By turning it to a different angle this short-circuits the mental picture, because we are accustomed to seeing people often, and from a certain perspective.

When starting out on a drawing it helps for me to start with one of the longer lines of an object and then use that to establish scale to other items. Then start to put in the smaller items in relation. This develops the eye's ability to judge distances and comparative lengths.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum Forie

Mar 29, 2018
Athens
✟8,756.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi; in the end, it's faith in the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ that really counts for time and eternity. :)

But you are a very good artist! Seems like that you would be inspired by good portfolios in tattoo parlors; your style is very similar to that of many tattoo artists.
Hello,
I did not know i have that style. Thank you for your review and No, not inspired by any tattoo designer.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gotta love vector art. :)

Now vector art is to me perhaps easier to pick up. You don't need the hand dexterity quite the same because every line is able to be edited by the node. Most of my vector stuff I just do with a mouse and roughly shape it and then refine it from there. If you have a good eye, but not the hand dexterity, it is a fun way to put things together a piece or line at a time.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Glad you stopped by. Do you draw at all? Despite what most folks say, it is something you can usually learn.

I would have to dig up some of my old drawings from when I was in my early teens. They were terrible. But drawing from a picture reference, over time, builds your ability to see detail, and then try to put what you see.

I've done some graphics design. I took this picture on Old Gold Camp road in Colorado Springs. I got a terrible solar glare and didn't care much for the photo. My daughter liked it and posted it on Facebook. I asked her why and she said it was cool. So I put it in Photoshop and came up with this.

Goldcamp150wx120h.jpg

I also did this one, I think it was pretty good but not really complete

Stage copy.jpg

Grace and peace,
Mark

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've done some graphics design. I took this picture on Old Gold Camp road in Colorado Springs. I got a terrible solar glare and didn't care much for the photo. My daughter liked it and posted it on Facebook. I asked her why and she said it was cool. So I put it in Photoshop and came up with this.

View attachment 224674

I also did this one, I think it was pretty good but not really complete

View attachment 224676

Grace and peace,
Mark

Complete is an open question. It depends on what you are trying to do. Something like that would be easy to overwork. If you are just giving the feel of the location, then it works. Adding a bunch of details might not add much to it. And if you are picturing a distant or lonely location, details might distract from that.

You have developed something which I have not as well, which is an eye for composition. I need to develop it by doing more as I generally just draw some object or animal divorced from a background.

They remind me a little bit of pixel art, which I used to see a lot some years ago.

Have you tried much vector? It is often helpful in layout work.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've done some graphics design. I took this picture on Old Gold Camp road in Colorado Springs. I got a terrible solar glare and didn't care much for the photo. My daughter liked it and posted it on Facebook. I asked her why and she said it was cool.

Natural solar lens flares can be pretty cool. Of course, they led to the Photoshop effect which made them over-used.

Do you do a lot of photography?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here were a few attempts to put together pieces that had a completed background.

surface.jpg

bottom_of_the_food_chain_by_m7feettall.jpg

We often think of dinosaurs as giant hunters. But there were little dinosaurs as well. This one is called bottom of the food chain. I was trying to capture the response of a small prey animal at the possible sign of a predator The broken off branch higher up shows the size of some of the creatures in the area.

lazy.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Complete is an open question. It depends on what you are trying to do. Something like that would be easy to overwork.

You have developed something which I have not as well, which is an eye for composition. I need to develop it by doing more as I generally just draw some object or animal divorced from a background.

They remind me a little bit of pixel art, which I used to see a lot some years ago.

Have you tried much vector? It is often helpful in layout work.
Those are vectors, which I consider any kind of line art, including tattoos. I love MS paint and I'll never forgive Microsoft for not developing it more. Both of those jpgs are lines with fill, started in photoshop and finished in Illustrator. One of the problems with images like those is the lines get blurred, Adobe Illustrator helps you get images that have definitive lines.

At one point I wanted to come up with a menorah as an image representing the church. First I sketched it then I put it into line art, this was the result:

lamp.jpg
I have done some sketches in ink, not in years but at one time I was into it. In an art class I learned how to use charcoal on a special kind of paper, you would be surprised how easy it is to get a good sketch.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Natural solar lens flares can be pretty cool. Of course, they led to the Photoshop effect which made them over-used.

Do you do a lot of photography?
I was somewhat into it in Colorado, I took this picture:

RedHat.jpg

I came up with this in Photoshop:

Red_Hat.jpg

It was a beautiful spring day, a little chilly. When I blew this up I gave it to the lady in the picture, she loved it. It really did look good as a bigger picture.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those are vectors, which I consider any kind of line art, including tattoos. I love MS paint and I'll never forgive Microsoft for not developing it more. Both of those jpgs are lines with fill, started in photoshop and finished in Illustrator. One of the problems with images like those is the lines get blurred, Adobe Illustrator helps you get images that have definitive lines.

At one point I wanted to come up with a menorah as an image representing the church. First I sketched it then I put it into line art, this was the result:

This piece touches on another thing I am interested in, which is OT sanctuary imagery and it is fulfillment in the NT. Interesting piece.

View attachment 224682 I have done some sketches in ink, not in years but at one time I was into it. In an art class I learned how to use charcoal on a special kind of paper, you would be surprised how easy it is to get a good sketch.

Did you do the overhand pencil grip for that, or the traditional writing grip? I haven't done much charcoal, but for large format life drawing they say that is the go to.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was somewhat into it in Colorado, I took this picture:

View attachment 224684
I came up with this in Photoshop:

View attachment 224685
It was a beautiful spring day, a little chilly. When I blew this up I gave it to the lady in the picture, she loved it. It really did look good as a bigger picture.

That is clean editing. Do you do any photo manipulations? Those are a fun way to put together some interesting art.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is clean editing. Do you do any photo manipulations? Those are a fun way to put together some interesting art.
I've tried it from time to time, usually using filters in Photoshop. It's an interesting thought though, run it though Illustrator and Photoshop and then try to come up with a sketch. I'll have to try that some time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was a manipulation of two photos, a guy who posted on a now defunct stock site and a wikicommons image of thorns that I painted some more on and merged the lighting, etc.

facethorns.png

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this one took out various other boats to just highlight the viking ship in duluth. I also adjusted the lighting. Here is the original wikicommons picture:

File:Viking ship in Vancouver.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

vicking source.png

155893_1599391716402_8207278_n.jpg

I have done a number of stranger ones like making family members into centaurs, etc. but I don't generally post family member photos here.

I might have to try some more generic ones for something to do. Maybe we could start a photomanipulation thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0