Athens
✟8,756.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I like the look of the portrait. Trying to understand the background, is that a pillow?
I wanted to be creative and painted those line patterns around. So, nope not a pillow but just simple lines. And I am happy that you like it. Thank you

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Those are looking pretty good. The hair and eyebrows in particular are done well. I struggle with eyebrows in particular.
Thanks, The thing I learned about hair and eyebrows is using putty to erase out the detail. So first I shade its shape and how dark It needs to be. Then I add detail with the putty strand.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, The thing I learned about hair and eyebrows is using putty to erase out the detail. So first I shade its shape and how dark It needs to be. Then I add detail with the putty strand.
Interesting, by putty are you indicating a kneaded eraser?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks that is a good tip. I erase with digital, but didn't think of doing that with pencil.
Yes, most detail is done with a eraser, I'm currently sketching a portrait of Wyatt Earp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love how you made them life like with all most no detail. That is talent.

That is something I am trying to figure out over time. With that style of drawing getting the pose and the feel is more important than the details. Knowing what to leave out is difficult.

I think it was Jeff Watts in one of his videos that said a lot of people try to draw every little bump or muscle, etc. and wind up making someone that looks like the Michelin man.

Michelin_Man_Custom_Mascot.jpg

An artist has to sort out what is a key detail, and what is just making it too busy. I tend towards just drawing what I see, and sometimes trying to get every nuance I get my proportions way off, and make it too busy.

But what he suggests (apart from holding your pencil underhand, making long smooth lines, etc. all of which I don't do), is drawing quickly, short sketches from life (or reference if that is what you have), and learn to make quick decisions as to proportions, what to include, etc. He places a lot of emphasis on anatomy studies as well, so you know what you are looking at.

He also said that doing master studies help you to see through the eyes of accomplished artists to see what they include, and what they do not.

I do some anatomy study, but I tend to go more toward the camp that draws what it sees on the outside, without always knowing all the details underneath. That makes it harder to construct figures without reference, however, and you can sometimes indicate lines that don't match the underlying structures, which causes issues. So I think everyone needs some anatomy study if they want to draw people. It is a major time investment to learn all of the muscles, bones, structures, etc.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0