Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This was a landscape from some years back, painted digitally.

View attachment 224278
Digital frustrates me. I never took the time to figure it out, nor do I have the proper tools.
My daughter is really good with digital, she went to art school (high school and college) and her work has been shown at Cheekwood in Nashville as well as part of a country Music Hall of Fame Exhibit (Ray Charles).
She tends to lean toward cartoonish/caricatures by default.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Digital frustrates me. I never took the time to figure it out, nor do I have the proper tools.
My daughter is really good with digital, she went to art school (high school and college) and has her work shown at Cheekwood in Nashville as well as part of a country Music Hall of Fame Exhibit (Ray Charles).
She tends to lean toward cartoonish/caricatures by default.

Oh, can you link to any of it? Sounds great.

A lot of the art programs have had to go that way as the transmissability and editability of digital allow for a much faster workflow. I wish I had been able to take some of that in college. I actually only took one formal art class which was watercolors, and I struggled with that.

most of the time my digital technique is all wrong from what I can tell. I use too soft and transparent of brushes and the result is it takes hours to do what should take minutes, etc. Part of that is I hadn't trained in traditional painting either. I just like playing around with it. As I get older though I don't like staring at the screen as much, so I am considering trying more traditional mediums. I stopped doing much art for a long stretch, but now that my kids are doing it I tend to work on it with them.

My wife had a double degree, with one of them being art, so she did more of the traditional, oils, watercolors, etc.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is another digital landscape. The clouds and sky were done in Painter with oils, and the trees were done in Photopaint.

nightfall.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Oh, can you link to any of it? ..
The Ray Charles piece is oil (iirc) and based on his answer to the question, "What's your favorite color?"
2291688RayCMHoF3.jpg

I don't know that I have anything else..
I "screengrabbed" this off of the HoF site when the exhibit was being promoted.

edit... I found this but she'd fuss because it isn't complete... she left it open on my machine and I saved a copy. It was most likely done in the back seat on a car trip..
2280981hideangelsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Ray Charles piece is oil (iirc) and based on his answer to the question, "What's your favorite color?"
View attachment 224282

I don't know that I have anything else..
I "screengrabbed" this off of the HoF site when the exhibit was being promoted.

edit... I found this but she'd fuss because it isn't complete... she left it open on my machine and I saved a copy.

View attachment 224283

Well that will teach her to leave things open!

Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for joining the thread!

I like the shading on this one. What is your take on the mechanical pencils? They seem easier to use, but I could see how they would limit the values.

Would you mind explaining some of the imagery?

Thank you for the feedback. :)

Mechanical pencils are definitely much better for drawing rigid lines and very fine details like architecture, accessories or clothing patterns, but they are terrible for shading and making fluid lines like water. As I mentioned, it is based on the worship song, "Still".

The lyrics goes:

Hide me now
Under Your wings
Cover me
Within Your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with You above the storm
Father you are King over the flood
I will be still, know You are God

And I got the prompt to start doing Christian art those times ago because one day I got stuck outside during a thunderstorm, but managed to survive and find shelter somehow. So the main point of the image, and also the song, is that no matter how tough times may seem, if we trust God's protection and provision, then we would prevail and not fall.

Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I wish I drew other things. Most of my sketches look the same (to me anyway).

What kind of things do you want to draw?

Attachments

• pupresamp.png
    pupresamp.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone do any still life practice? Sometimes it seems boring, but I have heard a lot of artists say it helps develop their eye.

I have seen an exercise at times where you draw a pair of scissors without looking at your paper at all...just looking at the scissors and moving your hand. It is great at really helping you understand that to draw well with reference you have to look at the reference, not your paper!

Also common items like a hanging towel, a shoe, etc. get pretty complex when you go to draw them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bun.png

d2.png

bear.png
tur.png

These were some quick sketches yesterday, digital, using the default notes program on the Nintendo 2ds. Kind of a fun challenge to use that small screen with the tiny pen (although you can use a wacom pen with the plastic nib as well).

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Forum Forie

Mar 29, 2018
Athens
✟8,756.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is my drawing of Jesus Christ. You can watch the time lapse video on youtube. It is a digital painting I made on ipadpro. Thank you for watching. Likes and subscribtions to my channel are appreciated.
You can also follow me :
fb.me/tozanium
instagram.com/tozanium

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is my drawing of Jesus Christ. You can watch the time lapse video on youtube. It is a digital painting I made on ipadpro. Thank you for watching. Likes and subscribtions to my channel are appreciated.
You can also follow me :
fb.me/tozanium
instagram.com/tozanium

Great video, thanks.

How do you like working on the IPAD? I haven't talked to too many who have the pro. I am guessing you are using the Apple pencil as well?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Corel Painter and Photopaint.

backjfinalresamp.PNG

Mark 15: 22 And they brought Him to the place Golgotha, which is translated, Place of a Skull. 23 Then they gave Him wine mingled with myrrh to drink, but He did not take it. 24 And when they crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots for them to determine what every man should take.

Upvote 0

Forum Forie

Mar 29, 2018
Athens
✟8,756.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Great video, thanks.

How do you like working on the IPAD? I haven't talked to too many who have the pro. I am guessing you are using the Apple pencil as well?
Yes, I am using Applepencil. It feels like I am working with actual paper and pencil.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0