Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well done! So is that a paper pencil sketch that you photograph then shade digitally.

Yeah, I may be doing more of them. My daughter and I are watching various videos on the Loomis and Reilley head construction, and drawing along.

I used a mechanical pencil to sketch. When I took the photo it was low light in the house, which actually worked out fine. The paper was white, but by not using a flash I got an even tone from the shadow it was in. Here is what the imported photo looked like from the initial sketch:

mug practiceolines res.PNG

I worked in the color version for a while using the tannish tone from the low light as a middle tone (almost like the toned paper experiments I did previously), and going darker or lighter from there.

The darker and lighter areas were done through blend mode layers with multiply or add with a large soft brush, picking up tones already present in the sketch to put in the shading. Some were also just low opacity without using a blend mode.

Somewhere in the middle I de-saturated to go to grey scale to bring back more of the pencil look.

However, I think I got a little too sketchy in pencil so that I felt the need to clean it up in digital, and the result in part was over doing the digital shading.

The nice part about this is you could use almost any cheap paper. Since you are not shading on the page all you need are the lightly sketched lines. And if you get the low light tone effect it makes it easier in editing on the computer because you are not staring at a stark white background. I also do not care for messy graphite shading. And this way I can use the self sharpening mechanical pencil to just quickly lay down a few things and do the rest with digital. It uses very little material in the way of pencils either.

My Wacom pen tablet finally gave out after decades, so I was limited to a mouse. That meant I wasn't going to try to do much fine detail in digital. Therefore I had to work with the existing details from pencil and modify them to look more like what I wanted in the final.

I may at some point get a new pen tablet. But this was a fun experiment in the meantime. We will see what happens with the next one.

I still have the Nintendo 3ds for painting with a pen, but only in the one program, not my photo programs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I may be doing more of them. My daughter and I are watching various videos on the Loomis and Reilley head construction, and drawing along.

I used a mechanical pencil to sketch. When I took the photo it was low light in the house, which actually worked out fine. The paper was white, but by not using a flash I got an even tone from the shadow it was in. Here is what the imported photo looked like from the initial sketch:

View attachment 294220

I worked in the color version for a while using the tannish tone from the low light as a middle tone (almost like the toned paper experiments I did previously), and going darker or lighter from there.

The darker and lighter areas were done through blend mode layers with multiply or add with a large soft brush, picking up tones already present in the sketch to put in the shading. Some were also just low opacity without using a blend mode.

Somewhere in the middle I de-saturated to go to grey scale to bring back more of the pencil look.

However, I think I got a little too sketchy in pencil so that I felt the need to clean it up in digital, and the result in part was over doing the digital shading.

The nice part about this is you could use almost any cheap paper. Since you are not shading on the page all you need are the lightly sketched lines. And if you get the low light tone effect it makes it easier in editing on the computer because you are not staring at a stark white background. I also do not care for messy graphite shading. And this way I can use the self sharpening mechanical pencil to just quickly lay down a few things and do the rest with digital. It uses very little material in the way of pencils either.

My Wacom pen tablet finally gave out after decades, so I was limited to a mouse. That meant I wasn't going to try to do much fine detail in digital. Therefore I had to work with the existing details from pencil and modify them to look more like what I wanted in the final.

I may at some point get a new pen tablet. But this was a fun experiment in the meantime. We will see what happens with the next one.

I still have the Nintendo 3ds for painting with a pen, but only in the one program, not my photo programs.
One of my favorite youtube channel artist posts mostly time lapses of graphite drawings but he also does time lapsed digital paintings. With all your time lapses of your work it seems like you have a ready made youtube channel. Here's a link. He doesnt even speak in the videos and uses royalty free music. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK1DX_Zcj-0oufPTSxyK8fQ

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of my favorite youtube channel artist posts mostly time lapses of graphite drawings but he also does time lapsed digital paintings. With all your time lapses of your work it seems like you have a ready made youtube channel. Here's a link. He doesnt even speak in the videos and uses royalty free music. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK1DX_Zcj-0oufPTSxyK8fQ

I think I need to "get good" then will look into it! His channel looks promising.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think I need to "get good" then will look into it! His channel looks promising.
You're awesome already. We are the ones that are most familiar with the flaws in our works, other's aren't so critical. You need only publish your best efforts anyway.

Upvote 0

67_Reasons

66 pages + the Lord Jesus
Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟87,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The red obelisk or monument in the image wasn't as described in the image; There were supposed to be cherry trees in the picture, but the monolithic structures in the backdrop are very big. The monument was supposed to be smaller from what I remembered from it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I finished the painting i had been working on here is the final painting with frame. I also added this photo to post #678 so the steps can somewhat be seen. with frame it ended up being 60x36

DSCN7880+.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This painting is a lovely work. I enjoyed seeing it. Is this water color?

Not sure if you are speaking about the painting i posted. If so thank you and this is oil on hardboard I did a small watercolor study of the same scene, posted a few post back #658

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0