Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am traditionally Eastern Orthodox and married to a traditionally non-Orthodox (Uniting). Recently we attended a Lutheran church, and without thinking, I undertook their communion service. I've since realised my mistake. What are my options, what should I do?
Some Lutheran churches practice open communion; others do not. And none of them are in a state of intercommunion with the Eastern Orthodox churches. But either way, I would put it out of your mind now. You did not mean to do wrong and you cannot undo the mistake now.

• Friendly
Reactions: GingerBeer
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am traditionally Eastern Orthodox and married to a traditionally non-Orthodox (Uniting). Recently we attended a Lutheran church, and without thinking, I undertook their communion service. I've since realised my mistake. What are my options, what should I do?
If your church doesn't recognize the communion sacrament of any other church, didn't you just simply eat bread and wine? How is that a problem, unless they view the sacraments of other churches as satanic mockeries. Then I guess you have a problem in participating in a satanic mockery.

• Useful
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Just because we believe that the body and blood of Christ are not his actual, physical body and blood does not mean that our communion is any different than any other communion. It's all the same and you have nothing to worry about.

One thing though, don't you have to be Lutheran to partake in their communion? o_O.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you received communion in a Lutheran church without consciously deciding to do so (presumably in contravention of Orthodox Church teaching) then your best course would be to confess to your local priest and ask for his advice, help, and whatever forgiveness is required. Aside from that what else could be done?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

When I take communion I believe that I do it together with every believer that do it to the memory of Christ's suffering. Of course I don't take communion in a church that doesn't allow me to take it. The real question is: What would Christ say? Communion is in my opinion a church/denomination issue, but not a problem for Christ. I see no reason you would have to apologize to anyone.

Do you think Christ would approve of your marriage, but not approving of you and your wife sharing Lord's supper? To me that would be strange.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If your church doesn't recognize the communion sacrament of any other church, didn't you just simply eat bread and wine? How is that a problem, unless they view the sacraments of other churches as satanic mockeries. Then I guess you have a problem in participating in a satanic mockery.
Why are you so negative?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Partaking of communion in the Orthodox view also means that we affirm unity with the church who provided the communion. It is a visible sign of unity. Essentially doing this says that you agree with the doctrines of the other Church and that you are “in communion” with them.

Now at times, such as the OP, that isn’t the intent, but it is important from our POV to follow that teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why are you so negative?
I'm sorry, I really don't know. Maybe I see threads like this as little digs even though that wasn't the intention, to think that inadvertently taking Lutheran communion is so defiling that it has to be confessed leaves some of us outsiders feeling like Samaritans I suppose.

• Prayers
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You did not make a mistake. The Lord's supper belongs to Christ.

Dont worry about it. If I attend a church and they say that only their members can have communion, i obey their rules. I used to get upset about this, but now I dont even give the issue the time of day. I am quite happy to attend a variety of churches. But I would never become a member of a church that enacts this rule.

Really, it is not worth worrying about.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 3:
For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men? 4For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?

5What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. 6I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. 8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In my church, people who take part in communion are normally those who are baptised and have been confirmed, but we also welcome Christians of all backgrounds if it is their normal practice to take communion in their own church.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is a question where unfortunately there are two contradictory answers.

Within the EO tradition, it would seem the only alternative would be to confess it as a sin and trust that you'll be forgiven and restored to communion.

However more broadly, it's not a sin, and I think repenting of a good action is some kind of spiritual low. Communion is intended to show the unity of Christ's body, not to show conformity to a specific religious tradition. This is Christian Advice, not a theology discussion, so it's aimed at the OP. I am reluctant to give specific advice for someone in a very different tradition than mine. I'll simply say that I won't attend any service that restricts participation to its own members, because I think it's in violation of 1 Cor 11:29.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Interesting as the Roman Catholic Church will allow Eastern Orthodox Church members to take communion, But Eastern Orthodox will not allow Roman Catholics to take communion in their churches.

That makes no sense because of what Oscar posted. What is their reasoning?

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
uh.. move on?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Before I knew about the rules of communion in the Catholic church I took it. Then a priest told me about the rules, and I was surprised I couldn't take it. But I accepted it and I still attend sermons in the Catholic church. I wish they change that rule, but it's no big issue for me.

Upvote 0