Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello TAW! I had a quick question about Eastern Orthodox communion...are the various communities (is that the right word?) within the Easter Orthodox "umbrella" in communion with one another? For examle if I were Russian Orthodox could I receive communion at a Greek Orthodox Church?

What are the differences between the Eastern Orthodox communities...

Or am I like way off base here? Thanks!!

Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All canonical Orthodox Churches are in full communion with each other. In fact, it is important to know that all are one Church. The reason you see the labels, "greek, or "russian" is because that is the local geographical expression of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. This is following the ancient apostolic tradition of referring to a local Church by its geographical location. The reason you see the geographical labels outside of Russia or Greece is because those parishes are under the patriarch or metropolitan who is located in the original geographical location. This is an issue that is being worked out in North America, and hopefully, sooner rather than later, we will see all Orthodox Christians be under an North American patriarch or metropolitan.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The difference between Greek and Russian Orthodox really comes down to the same difference between Irish and Italian Catholics: culture.
In Greek churches you will run into many people named George, Andrew, or Nicholas. In Russian churches you will run into many named Alex, Giorgi, or Nicholai.

Other than that the differences are very minute with zero bearing on the Orthodoxy of a parish. For example, before the Little Entrance when the Gospel is taken into the altar the Russians typically sing the Beatitudes whereas the Greeks will typically sing a hymn to the Theotokos. Greeks typically have their deacon doors of the iconostasis as the third panel from the Royal Doors whereas in a Russian church it would be the second (gasp!)

Just little things. But so long as the parish does not belong to a schismatic group than one can receive Communion there. Typically what I've done is sent an email to the priest beforehand saying who I am, where I'm from and if I'd be able to receive. Is easy.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
All canonical Orthodox Churches are in full communion with each other. In fact, it is important to know that all are one Church. The reason you see the labels, "greek, or "russian" is because that is the local geographical expression of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. This is following the ancient apostolic tradition of referring to a local Church by its geographical location. The reason you see the geographical labels outside of Russia or Greece is because those parishes are under the patriarch or metropolitan who is located in the original geographical location. This is an issue that is being worked out in North America, and hopefully, sooner rather than later, we will see all Orthodox Christians be under an North American patriarch or metropolitan.

Thanks for that explanation! :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Very informative! Thank you!!

What language is the liturgy?

the local language is the norm. here in the West, where Orthodoxy was brought by immigration, there is still some use of the old country's language if the older generation is still around. I know in the States it varies from parish to parish, but English is the norm.

doesn't make much sense to have the services in a language that the people don't understand.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very informative! Thank you!!

What language is the liturgy?

the local language is the norm. here in the West, where Orthodoxy was brought by immigration, there is still some use of the old country's language if the older generation is still around. I know in the States it varies from parish to parish, but English is the norm.

doesn't make much sense to have the services in a language that the people don't understand.

Additionally, churches in Alaska will often have the Liturgy in native Alaskan languages, and churches near our southern border will sometimes have the Liturgy in Spanish, at least in part.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Additionally, churches in Alaska will often have the Liturgy in native Alaskan languages, and churches near our southern border will sometimes have the Liturgy in Spanish, at least in part.

That's pretty awesome! :)

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There are schismatic groups but they are very much a minority. The canonical Orthodox Church body has been in communion since the earliest of times (except for some temporary break-ups which were quickly healed), and the Church will continue to be one Body until the return of the Lord :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But there are schismatic groups that think of themselves as Eastern Orthodox, are there not? Like "The Very Ancient and Super Orthodox Holy Eastern Orthodox Church of Pommerania"? Are there any large groups?

yeah, and they are normally small, and have a habit of schisming with and excommunicating each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Defensor Christi

Oct 25, 2012
Florida
✟18,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is it permissable for someone to attend a Russion Orthodox Church, then move, and attend a Greek Orthodox Church...being full members of both or do they need to petition the Bishop to change.

I guess, are the each seen as rites (as in the Catholic Church) or do they just blend together without the formality?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is it permissable for someone to attend a Russion Orthodox Church, then move, and attend a Greek Orthodox Church...being full members of both or do they need to petition the Bishop to change.

I guess, are the each seen as rites (as in the Catholic Church) or do they just blend together without the formality?

I don't know if there is a blanket answer to this question. Certainly from a theological viewpoint there should be no issue, but pastorally I would say that such changes could be discouraged. "Parish jumping" can be detrimental if done for the wrong reasons. There are some people who have circumstance that necessitates "membership" in more than one parish, and that's fine for them. A parish community (in theory) should be like a family, so having people who come and go and will makes it difficult to build good "christian" relationships. Visitors, of course, are always welcome - especially travelers, and seekers/inquirers. It's always a pleasure to worship and fellowship with other Orthodox Christians from around the globe while they are in town. The jurisdiction would not make any difference here -I would say the same if the both parishes were in the same jurisdiction - the parish should be the base level foundation at the laity level.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I assumed when he said "move", that meant moving like to a new city or state. But yes, parish jumping is a bad thing. Although a lay person does not need a "blessing" per se, it would be good that if one was moving away to a new location, that they talk with their priest or spiritual father not to get permission, but to talk about the different options in the new city or whatever and get advice.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

it's best to let the priest know. when I was recieved into the Church, it was at an OCA parish, but since I was in college I would attend an Antiochian parish when I went home to my folks for summers.

Upvote 0