PennyPrimrose

Oct 9, 2004
✟15,131.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, I am curious as to what Liberal Christians think of Communion. I recently began to consider myself one because I need to question everything, and I'm not a fan of rituals or charismatic evangelical type churches (not that that has anything to do with it, just had to add that). Do other Liberal Christians view rituals as a bad thing? Do you consider Communion to be one? I just don't see the point of thinking about what Jesus had done for us on these days, because aren't you supposed to be thankful for it everyday? :scratch:
Thanks for your replies!! Maybe I don't have a full idea of what a Liberal Christian is yet..and maybe I'm not one. Just curious. :)

Reactions: Diane_Windsor

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm pro-ritual, but against just repeating the same thing over and over.

I'm pro-ritual, but against just repeating the same thing over and over, too.

And I like the silence of a Quaker meeting too.

And also, I'm pro-ritual, but against just repeating the thing over and over, too.

Upvote 0

Rev. Smith

Old Catholic Priest
Jun 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
✟9,505.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a priest, I have come to understand that the Eucharist is the most profound ritual Christians can engage in, if it is approached with an open, loving heart. It is an opportunity for everyone, regardless of gifts to commune with the Holy SPirit and receive the mystical joy ofour faith. Those gifted with great intellect can cometoknow and love God through the mind, by comprehending complex theological truths.

Those with mystical gifts can come to know and love God through prayer,meditation and reaching out with the heart.

But our Lord instituted communion, and the real presence, so that all those who come to lovehim may share in his love and peace.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why? said:
I am for Communion. I don't think it should just be done as a monthly (or however often) ritual. I think it should have personal meaning, each and every time.

Precisely. That is why I disfavor repeating exactly the same formula every time it is celebrated. The celebrant should mean what he (or she:)) is saying and not just repeat a formula.

It's a hard thing to balance.

Upvote 0

inquisitor_11

Viva la revolucion!
Feb 26, 2004
Caves Beach
✟15,963.00
Faith
Christian
Similar to the above responses, I find that rituals are an excellent way of connecting with God/Jesus/your christian community/the Church in a tactile way. Something my evangelical protestant background often misses out on. However, in general, people seem far more interested in exploring the existential/ experiential methods of worship, like the eucharist these days.

When it becomes a repetitious and loses its meaning... thats a bad thing.

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
I like ritual - no, scratch that. I love ritual. Typically, I attend a Eucharistic service and receive twice a week, occasionally three times weekly. I'd like to be able to receive more often, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it, because my schedule just won't permit.

I'd also like to point out, these are just my own preference, I wouldn't dare dream of suggesting how often anyone should receive. I have a very sacramental view of the Eucharist and it is something I find, at this point in time, I have a great need and appreciation for, in my life. Who knows where I will be or how I will feel, 6 months or 6 years from now?

I think the key bit is, what makes an action or a ritual meaningful? What causes a ritual to lose meaning? Different forms of worship speak differently to different folks - hence, all the various denominations, traditional vs. contemporary vs. alt.worship services.

As far as what Liberal Christians think about rituals or communion, or just about anything. . .heck, we can't always even agree on what a Liberal Christian is! There is a rich diversity of opinion amongst us, which I believe is a great strength and blessing.

Reactions: Loki
Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
communion --- from word Koinea ... which means : fellowship , communication , community , church , fellowship , compassion , and the elements of the Lord's Supper...

when we focus on part of the context , at the expense of the full meaning we demean the supper , the church , and the people who attend ( not a smorgasboard ... eat everything on the pate ... potatos , brocalli , beans , meat , pie ... ) See James chapter 1 & 2 , true faith , faith and works ... Matthew 25.32-42 commune with the least of the brethren ... corporal works of mercy ; fellowship of like minded people ;
compassion for the lost , sick , dying , and imprisoned ...

what should be within us .... the trinity , love , compassion , mercy , forgiveness , a need to go and do , to help , to forgive , to feed , clothe , visit , comfort ...

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Why? said:
I am for Communion. I don't think it should just be done as a monthly (or however often) ritual. I think it should have personal meaning, each and every time.

Yes and no. I think rituals can become empty, and that is a bad thing. One that might well be protested by abstaining for a long period of time. Yet if you are the one deciding (or having input into the decision) of how often it should be offered, you may also be depriving someone else in your community of an opportunity to participate in something that is personally meaningful to them.

Some churches offer it weekly, or even more often, with the understanding that it is OK not to participate every time. Others offer it infrequently, and those who want to participate more frequently may do so elsewhere. Neither of these is a perfect solution. Yet in every congregation there will be those who wish to participate more or less often. Some allowance must be made for this fact.

OTOH, when we say "personal meaning, each and every time," I would not narrow and individualize it that much. Sometimes the personal meaning of worship is participating with others in an act of worship or prayer, even though you know your own heart isn't in it in exactly the way you'd like it to be. It is a way to let the fellowship of brothers and sisters support you through a time that is perhaps spiritually arid.

I agree with several others here that there is a balance, and that balance is not the same for each person. However, if you never participate in a ritual or spiritual practice except when you personally feel it is individually meaningful for you, you are missing out on the communal experience of the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Diane_Windsor said:
I absolutely love rituals and liturgical forms of worship, and I will even sometimes perform a communion service :liturgy: for myself even if no one else is there but me and Jesus.:clap:

That's awesome...I wish my church had communion more often ( we have it the first sunday of every month). Sometimes when it is offered I feel like I shouldn't partake because of something I am dealing with, but when I finally feel rid of that - I want to have communion but I have to wait until that time comes around.
Thanks for the push Diane, I think I will try that.

Upvote 0