Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Okay, before you start sending me hate mail, understand this. I grew up as the ultimate fan of comedy. (You know I've done my own share of comedy attempts on CF also.) When I was a teenager I had all of the recordings of George Carlin and Richard Pryor (the two greatest in my opinion). George Carlin once said, "You can joke about anything." He meant literally anything. No matter how sensitive the subject. No matter how many people might get offended. I agreed with him at the time. But not anymore.

Over recent years, I have developed more sensitivity. I no longer make jokes about people. As time has gone on, I no longer make jokes TO people either.

It's just difficult to find something funny that doesn't potentially offend someone. And I don't mind that. Today, I think that it's much more important to respect everyone than to disrespect even one person by making a joke about something.

A great thing happened today. I was listening to NPR today and comedian Lewis Black was being interviewed. Someone called in and told him that they didn't like his humor at all. It was demeaning to Christians and Jews, for one thing. That totally threw Mr Black off track in his interview. Even after the guy hung up he admitted that he was still angry at him. The best part (to me) is that the NPR host was unable to hang up on the guy while he was talking. There was some kind of technical foul-up that enable the guy to speak a lot longer than they would have allowed. I loved it.

But Lewis Black is the ultimate example of someone who just doesn't get it. All he seems to understand is how to have fun. He thought that was the end all of existence. He couldn't accept people who didn't appreciate his humor. He actually judged people who don't appreciate his comedy. I was thinking what a low, miserable creature he really is.

But it gave me confidence. I understand a lot more than he does. I understand that comedy is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes I wonder if there is any real good-natured, pure type of comedy.

What do you think?

Reactions: Tinkerbell33

BoarderDave

SoCal Beachaholic
Jan 16, 2007
Southern California!
Visit site
✟27,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sweet! More people adding to the reputation that Christians have no sense of humor! Yay...

:|

And that is meant in regards to the caller.. not necessarily yourself.
It's fine if you dont find the stuff funny, or dont tell jokes, or whatnot.. but people that go the extra mile to give their opinion about how mad it makes them to hear jokes in public..

Upvote 0

Supplanter

There is no charge for awesomeness.
May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There is definitely a good natured pure type of comedy. I'm sure that God wants us to laugh. He gave us a sense of humor for a reason. Laughing helps relieve stress and releases endorphins and is a mark of a life enjoyed on a deeply spiritual level, IMO. I have known many very Godly and discerning people who can make jokes and they don't involve offending or degradation of anyone.

Before I was really dedicated to Christ I hardly ever laughed. I wasn't particularly unhappy. I just didn't have any joy radiating from me. However, as I have grown in Christ the more I smile and laugh everyday because I see the humor in life, even when things seem to suck. I don't think that is a coincidence. And people have still notice that change 6 years after I have come to know Christ. Just my .02

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've disliked mainstream "comedy" for years. Most of it is crass, childish, and UNfunny to me. True humor takes intelligence and wit.

There is truly clean AND hilarious comedy out there.

Mark Lowry (Christian comedian) is a bit corny, but definitely worth a look; some of his stuff is HYSTERICAL.

Have you ever seen Cary Grant's old movies? They were FUN-NAY. Try "Bringing Up Baby" and "His Girl Friday".

I personally can still read the old Garfield strips and laugh for hours. Same with The Far Side comics. They were really INTELLIGENTLY funny. I can't laugh at stupid humor. It's just totally not funny to me. It's dumb.

Reactions: Blackguard_
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is definitely a good natured pure type of comedy. I'm sure that God wants us to laugh. He gave us a sense of humor for a reason. Laughing helps relieve stress and releases endorphins and is a mark of a life enjoyed on a deeply spiritual level, IMO. I have known many very Godly and discerning people who can make jokes and they don't involve offending or degradation of anyone.

Before I was really dedicated to Christ I hardly ever laughed. I wasn't particularly unhappy. I just didn't have any joy radiating from me. However, as I have grown in Christ the more I smile and laugh everyday because I see the humor in life, even when things seem to suck. I don't think that is a coincidence. And people have still notice that change 6 years after I have come to know Christ. Just my .02

It's really true. I didn't smile much or laugh for a long time, either. The more joy you have in Christ, the happier you'll be, and the more apt to smile and laugh. It isn't that everything suddenly becomes comical, but you find yourself taking joy in everyday things, and you can laugh from JOY, not just humor. Little kids being silly, old people being quaint and frisky, animals playing, lots of things now make me smile and laugh :)

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thou Shalt Laugh is a DVD of Christian comics. It's a handful of standups. Most are pretty corny but there was a couple funny moments.

I like comedy, but I don't enjoy crass or vulgar jokes (which seems very popular with a lot of folks).

The Bible talks about avoiding such talk.

Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Many comedians nowadays tell the same racially charged, offensive, Christian hating jokes that they did in times past. And people laugh at them as if they haven't heard similar jokes a million times before. But to be honest, I'd rather have a comedian offend me than put me to sleep. You can shock me, infuriate me, offend me, disturb me, so long as you don't BORE me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Comedy may just be going downhill. The fact that people laugh at something as formulaic as the Simpson's is proof.

I agree that comedy isn't quality as much as it was.

Good example is Dane Cook. He's funny, and I'm not trying to knock the guy because I could never do what he does.

But it's not ard to find funnier comedians that just aren't riding a wave of popularity right now.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
personally can still read the old Garfield strips and laugh for hours. Same with The Far Side comics.They were really INTELLIGENTLY funny
You forgot "Calvin and Hobbes". Anyway, the Far Side was pretty mean spirited and morbid.

Edit: Far Side reference put back : e.g. a panel where the boss of a marble factory comes out of his office after someone yells 'Simmons has lost his marbles" referring to a spree shooter.

Edit: it's sad what happened with the Garfield strips. the old strips were awesome, and not all of them were comedic. Now it's just a series of fat jokes.

Last edited:
Reactions: WileyCoyote
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You forgot "Calvin and Hobbes". Anyway, the Far Side was pretty mean spirited and morbid.

I laughed just reading the Far Side reference. EDIT: BEFORE YOU REMOVED IT!

and yes, Calvin and Hobbes was superior to so many strips.

Last edited:
Reactions: WileyCoyote
Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
The Far Side is hilarious, but it's probably exactly the kind of thing Radhead is talking about.

Comedy may just be going downhill.
I've suspected as much for years. I think Aqua Teen Hunger Force and the rise of "random" humor killed it.

The fact that people laugh at something as formulaic as the Simpson's is proof.
I don't think it's forumulaic so much the old shotgun approach to humor like in the Airplane!, Hot Shots, and Naked Gun movies returned.

Do you think Seinfeld was funny?(maybe not, it did have a lot of mean spirited humor) Seinfeld was really formulaic. Formula's aren't necessarily bad, the problem isbad formulas and cliches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcon

Contributor
Feb 9, 2007
✟22,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hmm comedy, I can watch mr. black , the timing and stuff aint too bad to me. to see some of the old black and white movies, they were cutting edge at there time without going really rude, they had inuendoes, probably just as bad as what some would come right out and say today. I dont believe in a lot of what comedians say , just listing too theyre timing and word play. main thing that bothers me when any of em do comedy, once in a while they seem like they have to tell you about some idiot they ran into and how funny it was when they showed them up. Ive seen that on both sides, secular and christian. Id rather be watching something that shows the least intellegent (or someone like MONK) as the main character and is likeable. Its kinda funny around where I live, some wanted me and others to watch more so we would have something to talk to them about , besides scripture. but if I watch something its for my own entertainment. B. blessed.

Upvote 0