Come Into The Deep End... with ImHisServant (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

woman.at.the.well

How about you InDeepers?
How is your spiritual passion doing?
Has it faded or are you on fire for the Lord?
What do you do to maintain your spirit of passion for Jesus?

What could be keeping you from living a life in Christ that is devoted to Him?

I admit my spiritual passion is not NEAR what is used to be and I've been talking to Him about just that.

I always do the bulk of my praying and reading from 4:30am - 6:00am...before my boys wake up. It works. :thumbsup:

I am like LLHW and smileyill . . . i read the Word; have a devotional (like O.D.B.); and pray. But the fire is definitely lacking. And I sure do miss it! I love the Lord with all my heart; all my soul; all my mind; and all my strength - but I just need to do so even more!

Reactions: Smileyill
Upvote 0

PrairieGurl

Contributor
Jun 21, 2006
✟26,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From Our Daily Bread:

Tuesday, February 6th, 2007

Why does spiritual passion fade so easily? When we first experience God’s love, we spend hours thinking about Him, studying His Word, and telling others how much He means to us. Then it happens. Our busy schedules slowly dampen our passion. Our longing for Jesus and our study of His character become an occasional glance. Surely the object of our affection hasn’t changed!The church at Ephesus wrestled with maintaining its spiritual passion. Jesus, through John, wanted to help them restore and maintain their love and zeal for Him. Although He commended this church for their work, Jesus saw that they had abandoned their first love—Him (Rev. 2:4).The Ephesians had lost their spiritual passion for Jesus. It had become a cold and mechanical orthodoxy. I wonder if they had allowed the stealthy culprit of religion and busyness to enter their hearts. Whatever it was, something had stolen the affection they had once reserved for the Lord.Have you allowed something to steal your passion? If so, it can be restored and maintained when you consistently remember His amazing love demonstrated at Calvary. Repent of your sinful, unloving attitudes, and out of love for Jesus repeat your "first works" (v.5). —Marvin WilliamsWhat once was filled with wonderLies cold within my heart;Return, O Lord, that wonder,And may it not depart. —SperDevotion to Jesus is the key to spiritual passion

How about you InDeepers?

Sadly...very sadly, prayerfully there is at least a spark left.
It has faded. Over the last few years...it slowly faded...
I used to spend time with Jesus. Start my day with devotions and prayer.

It frustrates me how easy it is to pick up a bad habit. But try to get into a good habit after being away from it for a time...and it seems near impossible.

I believe what is keeping me from living a life devoted to Christ is completely giving everything to Him. Letting go of EVERYTHING in my life that is not pleasing to Him. Leaving the past behind.

I just feel spiritually that I am in a snow covered desert.
Emotionally and mentally (along with physical) All aspects needs the touch only my Heavenly Father can give. I need to be willing.

Upvote 0

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟15,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to have the same pasion I did a couple of years ago but I am finding it really difficult. I had a really productive spiritual time where I was learning stuff through Bible reading and then realising I was being tested in that area in my every day life and asking for God's help to deal with it. I really felt that I was growing.

I'm so tired with my job. I need God's help desperately in getting through each day and my prayers are generally around please God help me get through the day. Help me to cope. And some days I feel as though I'm drowning in stress. To be honest, I don't know how to make things better. I do try to spend time with God - He is the reason I live and the reason I chose this job, but sometimes, my worklife just seems to take over. Feels like a big monster at times and I'm having to run to stop it from crushing me.

It is so important to keep things in perspective and to remember that God is for us, and with us. But He designed us to be in fellowship with Him every day. If we're not then we do struggle. God doesn't want it, and we don't want it. He gives us time to be with Him. He's even set aside a day a week especially for us to spend time with Him. We just have to take the time He has given us and use it to learn about Him and just rest in Him. I'm going to make a special effort to do that today, in all the busyness and stress - and just remember that He is GOD.

Maharg

Upvote 0

ImHisServant

Let Everything That Has Breath Praise The Lord!!
Jun 21, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟18,039.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wednesday 2/7/07
Cast Down
By Mrs. Charles E. Cowman
Taken From: Streams in the Desert
.navtoggle { margin:4px 2px 2px 0; float:left;}dt{ margin: 5px 0 0 0;}dd { /*border-style: dashed; border-width: 1px; border-color: red;*/ padding-top:0px; padding-left: 5px;}
plus.gif

"Why art thou cast down, O my soul" (Ps. 43:5).
Is there ever any ground to be cast down? There are two reasons, but only two. If we are as yet unconverted, we have ground to be cast down; or if we have been converted and live in sin, then we are rightly cast down.
But except for these two things there is no ground to be cast down, for all else may be brought before God in prayer with supplication and thanksgiving. And regarding all our necessities, all our difficulties, all our trials, we may exercise faith in the power of God, and in the love of God.
"Hope thou in God." Oh, remember this: There is never a time when we may not hope in God. Whatever our necessities, however great our difficulties, and though to all appearance help is impossible, yet our business is to hope in God, and it will be found that it is not in vain. In the Lord's own time help will come.
Oh, the hundreds, yea, the thousands of times that I have found it thus within the past seventy years and four months!
When it seemed impossible that help could come, help did come; for God has His own resources. He is not confined. In ten thousand different ways, and at ten thousand different times God may help us.
Our business is to spread our cases before the Lord, in childlike simplicity to pour out all our heart before God, saying,
"I do not deserve that Thou shouldst hear me and answer my requests, but for the sake of my precious Lord Jesus; for His sake answer my prayer, and give me grace quietly to wait till it please Thee to answer my prayer. For I believe Thou wilt do it in Thine own time and way."
"For I shall yet praise him." More prayer, more exercise of faith, more patient waiting, and the result will be blessing, abundant blessing. Thus I have found it many hundreds of times, and therefore I continually say to myself, "Hope thou in God." --George Mueller

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From Our Daily Bread:

Tuesday, February 6th, 2007

How about you InDeepers?

My spiritual passion has faded. :( I think it's been because of a number of different things- busyness, stress, discouragement over different things at church (which are getting better).
I have been praying about it. And I'm trying to get back into having a daily quiet time, but it's been hard. I hate when my spiritual life is like this.
I know God is still there, I just have to continue reaching out to Him.

Upvote 0
K

krys4ever

How about you InDeepers?

[qoute]

My spiritual passion isnt where it should be, but I know that God is working on me to be where He wants me to be. He wants me to love Him first, to spend time with Him, to do all that it takes to grow in Him and be truly committed and dedicated to Him.
Thanks to God I am gettin my fire back for the Lord. To maintain my passion for Jesus, I stay in contact with Him. Rather it be in prayer, praise, worship, reading the bible, meditation, seeking Him whole-heartedly.
What can be keeping me from being completely devoted to Christ may be past things that I sometimes still carry today.
I know what I need to do in order to have true love with Christ.

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wednesday 2/7/07

Cast Down
.navtoggle { margin:4px 2px 2px 0; float:left;}dt{ margin: 5px 0 0 0;}dd { /*border-style: dashed; border-width: 1px; border-color: red;*/ padding-top:0px; padding-left: 5px;}
plus.gif

Is there ever any ground to be cast down? There are two reasons, but only two. If we are as yet unconverted, we have ground to be cast down; or if we have been converted and live in sin, then we are rightly cast down.
But except for these two things there is no ground to be cast down, for all else may be brought before God in prayer with supplication and thanksgiving. And regarding all our necessities, all our difficulties, all our trials, we may exercise faith in the power of God, and in the love of God.
"Hope thou in God." Oh, remember this: There is never a time when we may not hope in God. Whatever our necessities, however great our difficulties, and though to all appearance help is impossible, yet our business is to hope in God, and it will be found that it is not in vain. In the Lord's own time help will come.
Oh, the hundreds, yea, the thousands of times that I have found it thus within the past seventy years and four months!
When it seemed impossible that help could come, help did come; for God has His own resources. He is not confined. In ten thousand different ways, and at ten thousand different times God may help us.
Our business is to spread our cases before the Lord, in childlike simplicity to pour out all our heart before God, saying,
"I do not deserve that Thou shouldst hear me and answer my requests, but for the sake of my precious Lord Jesus; for His sake answer my prayer, and give me grace quietly to wait till it please Thee to answer my prayer. For I believe Thou wilt do it in Thine own time and way."
"For I shall yet praise him." More prayer, more exercise of faith, more patient waiting, and the result will be blessing, abundant blessing. Thus I have found it many hundreds of times, and therefore I continually say to myself, "Hope thou in God." --George Mueller

It is the truth! It doesn't matter how many times or for how many different reasons we go before the Lord, He will help us. I totally understand the statement "I do not deserve that Thou shouldst hear me...". I don't deserve anything from God but because I came to Him with a repentant heart He hears me, He loves me, He helps me. How great is our God! :bow:

Thank you Gina for this awesome reminder! :hug:

Upvote 0
K

krys4ever

Wednesday 2/7/07

Cast Down
plus.gif

wow...i really love this topic...

i have been goin through some personal struggles and struggles with my family. There are those times Im like, Lord, when are u going to put a stop to this? It seems like things just keep getting worse and worse, making me think is God here? God why are u allowing this to happen? and etc...

But one thing I have come to realize is that our true hope is in God. We may not like going through certain things, we may not understand why, or we may feel like givin up.

But what gives me faith is knowing that God is in control of all things. Everything that He allows to take place, rather good or bad has a purpose and He will never put more on us than we can bear. Who am I to question God's motives and reasonings for things? He is God and I am to trust in Him for, in and through everything in this life.

Storms may come in life that take us on a rough ride, but God is always standing there, carrying and holding us up, even when we dont even know it. This gives me encouragement that no matter what, I am to hope in God, because He will save me out of all my troubles right on time.

Upvote 0
W

woman.at.the.well

Wednesday 2/7/07

Cast Down
Great subject aqs always! We as believers really have no reason to be cast down. We should be the happiest people on earth. And what a great subject to follow yesterday's topic. I think the two may go hand in hand.

Even though we shouldn't be cast down because of the awesome gift of salvation that we have; I know it is unrealistic to think no one does. Even for short periods I think we all have trouble with this. It's hard not to when there is so much evil all around us.

I don't really have much trouble with depression or being down thank God. I may get down for a bit; but have a really nice ability to get right back up; shake things off; and move on! A nice trait I inherited from my father (earthly AND heavenly ;) ).​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jenrenee

Child of God
Nov 16, 2006
Midwest - GO HUSKERS!!
✟9,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wednesday 2/7/07

Cast Down

What a wonderful topic! It is so great to know that even though we do not deserve it, we can put all our hope and cares in God's hands and he will take care of it all for us! And we see this in our lives every day!

Upvote 0

Sennaria

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
Hill Country, Texas
✟17,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Everyone!!

I'm so glad to be back...I've read back a few day's worth of posts, but it will take a while it seems to cover the whole month. This latest topic is great though, and I've loved the posts in response about it, and probably could write a novel about it, but I shan't do that either.
The one thing I did want to say about being cast down or going through what seems to be neverending trials and tribulations. I, also, am one it seems that the trials and tribulations seem to be neverending. But I know this also, that because of these trials and tribulations that I get stronger and stronger in my relationship with my Lord Jesus.

Sometimes I wonder if He does this because when things go smoothly and peacefully for long periods of time it is easy to become complacent, errrr slack off our reading or praying.....because things are going well. Or, perhaps He is taking us through a time of strengthening, like the forge in the fire to make steel stronger.......I know, I myself am guilty of it in the past. When things go well, its easy to try to take control myself, and He has been working on me for the last four years to turn my life and every aspect thereof over to Him, to surrender completely to Him and leave it with Him. That being the key, to leave it with Him. I find I have days where I am so strong and then boom, cast down....and I try to figure out why I feel cast down on certain days for there really is no glaring reason for me to feel that way.....so I read more, pray more, talk to Him more and He brings me out of it.....
I know He is working on my life in a couple of areas that I am weak in, for it allows the enemy that little crack to sneak in and try to torment me. So I am continuing to pray that He strengthen me so that I, through Him, am strong enough to finally have victory in those two areas.

Anyways, Hi Everyone!! Glad to see you!

Sennaria

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2006
✟18,216.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This really resonates with me because I've felt like I went through lots of trials and tribulations, and much more so in that time when I was tricked into rejected God from my life. I'm so happy that God left the door open for me to return, even after I let myself get taken so far away from Him, and I'm so happy that I went back in that door. Thank you for reminding me of that today, and thank God for putting you here to do that!

Upvote 0

PrairieGurl

Contributor
Jun 21, 2006
✟26,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is the truth! It doesn't matter how many times or for how many different reasons we go before the Lord, He will help us. I totally understand the statement "I do not deserve that Thou shouldst hear me...". I don't deserve anything from God but because I came to Him with a repentant heart He hears me, He loves me, He helps me. How great is our God! :bow:

Thank you Gina for this awesome reminder! :hug:

Thanks for putting this into words for me LivingLifeHisWay. Our God is GREAT! I too understand the statement "I do not deserve that Thou shouldst hear me..." I know He accepts me only because He see's me thru His Son.

I am grateful that this thread has continued. At first I was 'scared' of going deeper, due to the things I know must be dealt with. But after the night comes a new day.

Upvote 0

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟15,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are some areas I still struggle in, especially anxiety. I pray to God to help and some of the things I fel anxious about seem ridiculous really. I have a class of children. they are only 11 years old, but I'm finding them almost impossible to control. I'm becoming tearful just thinking of it. I've been praying and praying to God to help me with this. I've laid it before Him, and I don't know what else to do. Perhaps I am not trusting Him enough. But after an hour with them I feel like an incompetant idiot. Well, actually I feel like that a lot of the time at the moment. Just asking God to give me strength to get through to July and pass my teacher training qualification.

Maharg

Reactions: PrairieGurl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have today's topic!! Sorry I haven't gotten it posted, I will soon.
The kids were on a 2-hour delay today, so I got in to work a little late. And it kinda slipped my mind I have today's topic!!! Sorry!! :(
Give me a few minutes and I'll get it posted.

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, here it is! I had planned on doing something different (I have a series I want to share). But I hadn't prepared for it, so will have to start it next week.

February 8, 2007

The Envy Virus
By Van Walton

Exodus 20:17, “You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." (NIV)

Devotion:
When God told Moses to write the 10th commandment, He did so for a reason. He knew that we, His children, would struggle with a debilitating disease that would have symptoms such as chronic dissatisfaction, an addiction to others’ possessions and lifestyles, infection of inferiority, a complaining disorder, and a syndrome of overall ungratefulness.
I believe that focusing too much on my friend’s accomplishments, neighbor’s accumulations, sister’s accolades, or co-workers’ acumen gives root to a practice that will result in a negative outcome. I often remind myself, “comparing my life to others’ leads to dissatisfaction.”
This insidious disease begins with a glance. That’s all right if you can stop it, but beware of the second longing look because it’s the coveting spirit takes its prey captive. Now you think you want what you see. Before long, envy sets in. This leads to jealousy, greed, and resentment. Like a disease, desire for that which you cannot have, consumes. It eats away at mind, heart, and soul and robs its host of peace, comfort, and rest.
I know people who live in a perpetual state of dissatisfaction and discontentment because they don’t have what others have. This virus has infected me and made me miserable. Due to its contagious nature, my children caught it. I vowed to rid my family of the menacing bug, but it was immune to many treatments. Only one seems to work: CAP IT.

Change focus. Choose contentment. If certain circumstances or people remind you of what you don’t have, remove yourself. Don’t expose yourself to temptations that cause resentment. CAP IT!
Ask God to remove your longings for things you cannot have or don’t need. As soon as your heart turns toward the idols of this world and you find yourself searching for ways to become happy, be it a shopping spree, room makeover, piece of jewelry, or a prestigious pre-school, cry out to God. Ask Him to show you where everlasting joy can be found. A worthwhile life is not created by accumulating things. CAP IT!
Practice an attitude of gratitude. God placed each of us where we are for a purpose. It may be temporary or long term. He has a plan to use us in our present circumstances. If God plans to bring us prosperity, prominence, or success, He has the power to change our circumstances! Meanwhile, praise God for what you do have. CAP IT!
Instruct the children. When the disorder affects our children, we need a consistent and ready response. For instance, “We have chosen a different lifestyle.” It’s important not to say things that might make our families seem inferior to others. Avoid comments like, “I am sorry. I wish I could give you more. We don’t have the money.” As Christian parents, teaching our children to live a life of dignity regardless their socio-economic status is important. We don’t need to defend our positions in life if we are setting godly examples.
When children complain, take them to work in a soup kitchen or an assisted living facility. Don’t allow comparisons or complaining to infiltrate family conversations. CAP IT!
Take your thoughts captive. Conquer this disease before it takes hold. As God’s dignified daughters, we are to hold our heads high focusing on Our King and His everlasting promises.. Envious thoughts force our glance downward, turning our countenance into a frown and causing our shoulders to stoop in resignation. CAP IT!
Dear Lord, I confess to living a life that is focused on the world, rather than on You. Nothing this life has to offer compares to Your plan for my life. Lord, help me to live a life of contentment knowing that You have a mansion for me in heaven. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
A Woman’s Secret to a Balanced Life by Lysa TerKeurst and Sharon Jaynes
Shaped With Purpose by Renee Swope
Do You Know Him?

Application Steps:
Decide today to repent for your dissatisfaction and lack of gratefulness. Ask God to help change your focus each time you glance longingly at someone else’s life. Recite a portion of 2 Corinthians 10:5: I am “bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ…”

Reflections:
Describe a time you had to have something in order to feel content. Did the gratification last?
Name a person who “has it all.” What fills this person’s life? Would this person be completely comfortable with only Jesus as the source of joy?

Power Verses:
Philippians 4:11, “Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.” (NASB)
1 Timothy 6:8, “But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.” (NIV)
Hebrews 13:5, “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.’” (NLT)
Proverbs 31 Ministries
616-G, Matthews-Mint Hill Road
Matthews, NC 28105
www.Proverbs31.org

Upvote 0

Sennaria

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
Hill Country, Texas
✟17,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rosie,
This is a really good one. And it brings to mind a time a few years ago, when we had gone to a friend's house that they had just moved into and I was almost in tears, because we were struggling so financially and it felt so homey and I knew ours didn't because we were never home and I so wanted that.
But now, God has shown me something that was so simple, yet so eye-opening to me. I had known it all along but I think we live our lives without truly recognizing it.

We will never be happy in this world, no matter what we have. We will never be satisfied even if we had everything that we had ever coveted or wanted or were jealous of or thought that we needed.
We will never be happy because we were not created for this world. We were created to have a relationship with God. He created us for companionship, for worship, for life with Him. So if we do not have Him deep in our lives we will never ever be happy until we enter into our eternal life where we spend each day in His presence.
When the first sin separated us from God, that is the door the door was opened to dissatisfaction, envy, and looking to the world to replace or fill what the sin took away.
The only way we can even begin to find that satisfaction again is to move each day closer and closer to the Lord and let Him fill us with the satisfaction and contentment. To keep our eyes off the world and put them completely and totally on Him.

Sennaria

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.