Come Into The Deep End... with ImHisServant (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImHisServant

Let Everything That Has Breath Praise The Lord!!
Jun 21, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟18,039.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

ImHisServant

Jun 21, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟18,039.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thursday 11/9/06
Negative Self-Talk

I found this article on how negative self-talk affects your life. Since many have or are struggleing with this... and the request for anxiety/worry has been made... this was a way of addressing these things. If you want... we can split them up and discuss each issue separately... let me know.

Change Negative Self-Talk
By Linda S. Mintle, Ph.D.
Dr. Linda Mintle shares how negative thoughts can affect your life.

Dr. Linda Helps - "I just feel anxious, I didn't just think it up."

Wrong, you have thoughts behind those anxious feelings. The feelings are so intense that you aren't aware of the self-talk that precedes anxiety.

Negative self-talk is behind anxious feelings. Your thoughts impact your feelings. Your feelings affect your view of the world, and that view negatively affects your thoughts. This vicious cycle keeps anxiety going. In order to stop anxiety, you've got to learn to control your thoughts.

The work is to replace negative self-talk with positive talk.
Most anxious people think, "What if..."
Change the "What if..." to "So what," and you'll reduce anxiety.

It's not easy. Anxious thoughts are automatic for people with anxiety problems. You feel anxious and are unaware of preceding thoughts. The first step is to identify your thoughts prior to an oncoming anxious feeling. The thought won't always be obvious.

For example, Pat sat in a meeting with several of his superiors. He was nervous about his presentation and flashed back to a time early on in his career when he botched a presentation. These thoughts started running through Pat's head, "What if I mess up again? I could get fired. I will embarrass myself." The more Pat allowed these thoughts, the more anxious he became. By the time he stood up to give his presentation, he was close to panic.

Had Pat used his self-talk in a positive way, he may have warded off anxiety. "I messed up early on in my career. I'm much more experienced. I have done these presentations many times with good outcomes. I have every reason to believe these people will like what I have to say and be impressed."

Can you see the difference in self-talk? The first example creates or reinforces anxious feelings. The second dismisses anxious thoughts and builds confidence. Self-talk is that powerful.

If your self-talk has these themes, it is time to make changes:

”I should have, I have to...” You are the classic perfectionist who always falls short of the job and worries about your failures.

”I can't believe I did that,” “How stupid,” “What an idiot I am...” You are far too critical of yourself and need to give yourself a break! You need a shot of self-esteem.

”I can't,” “I don't have what it takes,” “I won't be able to do it...” You believe nothing will change and you can't meet the challenge.

”What about...?” You are the classic worrier. Nothing can happen without you bringing out all the possibilities for disaster or problems.

If you find yourself identifying with these statements, you need to change your thoughts. Write down positive statements that will counter the negative possibilities. For example, instead of thinking, "I can't do that because it's too scary," say, "It looks scary, but I can meet a new challenge. The worse possible thing that can happen is that I'll feel scared for a moment and then it will pass. Plus, I will have accomplished something new."

After you've written down positive counter statements to your negative thoughts, then practice saying the positive statements. Here's one I give my kids when they tell me they cannot do something: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Is this all things? Yes, so you can do it."

Next time you feel anxious, stop and ask, what was I thinking before I felt this way? Chances are it was a negative thought that needs changing.

Dr. Mintle – author, professor, Approved Supervisor and Clinical member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy – is a speaker and media personality, as well as a licensed clinical social worker with over twenty years in psychotherapy practice.
For more articles and information, visit Dr. Linda Mintle's Web site.

Feel free to discuss this or any other previous topic... or whatever's on your mind.

Upvote 0

INFJ

:)
Sep 13, 2006
✟16,542.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WOW this is really helpful to me my dear sister. Anxiety was a HUGE problem for me.... OH MY... I lost SOOOOOO Much weight cause of anxiety. I had to go on Paxil and the weight gain came. I lost alot of $$$ cause I had to buy clothes that fit me now...
I DO have to admit I do get anxious..and have panic attacks...I TRY to tone it down though PRAYER is one thing that helps...

BUT SISTER you are right on IT IS Self talk!

I am gonna print up what you wrote AND if you do not mind I may blog about this when I get home from work today...I WILL quote you if you do not mind that and link this!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

God be with you sister!:hug:

Upvote 0

Sennaria

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
Hill Country, Texas
✟17,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ohhhh this is so good. It's going to take a few minutes to meditate on, and I think I thought of some scripture to go along with it.....Thank you Gina! I do struggle with two of the three scenarios. God has been working with me on them, and actually showed me this way of changing the way I think to reduce anxiety. But, it is an ongoing struggle and this is great fantastic terrific reinforcement.

Post more in a few.

Sennaria

Upvote 0

Sennaria

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
Hill Country, Texas
✟17,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, I know the following is long, but I pulled some scriptures in regards to mind, fear and thoughts. A lot of these have helped me to change my mindset. Especially those that just pounded into my head that God is much bigger than anything or anyone in the world.
There are yet still so many more that I could put out there. But I hope these help someone. I also put some commentary in about a few of the verses. Meditating on stuff like this truly helps me, I hope it also helps you.

It's funny, I only truly stress or am anxious anymore when it comes to the business' financials.
Let a piece of equipment breakdown, it is no problem to me...in fact..twice, once a freezer went out, I prayed I told Eric to not worry, it would be fine, he stressed and in 3-4 hours it was running again and not another problem. Then a few weeks ago we were having trouble with the double deep fryer. No problem, he was muttering under his breath trying to get the pilot light to stay lit, I was praying at the prep table and whatta ya know......the thing lit and not another problem. He stresses equipment and stuff like that, and that stuff doesn't affect me, I know God is there.

I soooo sooooo SOOOOOO want to have the same mindset when it comes to the operational budget of this place, as I do towards equipment or anything else. *sigh* I'm better, but I have far to go. My weakness is the finances and the faith we will be ok, his is the equipment. *shrug*
The last trial we went through, I handled the best I ever had though. I didn't stay up most of the night worrying. I didn't dwell on it....in fact, I used it as an opportunity to get closer yet to God. God did a lot of work on both of us this last trial. But it's over now, Praise God! And we learned a lot and changed a lot.
And I could kick myself when I sit here and try to think 3 weeks from now, I have this and this and this I need to pay, will I be able to ? etc so on and so forth. I have to daily train my mind to Let Go and Let God and not worry about tomorrow for today has enough to do.

Isa 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You; because he trusts in You.
Rom 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, in order to prove by you what is that good and pleasing and perfect will of God.
Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to every one who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think. But set your mind to be right-minded, even as God has dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Phi 2:5 For let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
Phi 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
Deu 3:22 Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you.
Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Psa 27:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Psa 27:3 Though a host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
Psa 118:6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
Pro 1:33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil
Pro 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
Isa 43:5 Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
Isa 51:7 Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.
Isa 54:4 Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.
Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Eph 4:23 -
And be renewed - That is, it is necessary that a man who has been following these should become a new man; see the notes on Joh_3:3 ff., compare the notes on 2Co_4:16. The word used here - ἀνανεόω ananeoō - does not occur elsewhere in the New Testament; but it has the same meaning as the word used in 2Co_4:16, and Col_3:10. It means to make new, and is descriptive of the work of regeneration. This was addressed to the church, and to those whom Paul regarded as Christians; and we learn from this:
(1) that it is necessary that man should be “renewed” in order to be saved.
(2) that it is proper to exhort Christians to be renewed. They need renovated strength every day.
(3) that it is a matter of “obligation” to be renewed. People are “bound” thus to be renovated, And,
(4) that they have sufficient natural ability to change from the condition of the old to that of the “new” man, or they could not be exhorted to it.
(See the supplementary Rom_8:7, note; Gal_5:17, note.)
In the spirit of your mind - In your temper; your heart; your nature.

1Pe 1:13 -
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind - The allusion here is to the manner in which the Orientals were accustomed to dress. They wear loose, flowing robes, so that, when they wish to run, or to fight, or to apply themselves to any business, they are obliged to bind their garments close around them. See the notes at Mat_5:38-41. The meaning here is, that they were to have their minds in constant preparation to discharge the duties, or to endure the trials of life - like those who were prepared for labor, for a race, or for a conflict.
Be sober - See the 1Ti_3:2 note; Tit_1:8; Tit_2:2 notes.
And hope to the end - Margin, “perfectly.” The translation in the text is the most correct. It means that they were not to become faint or weary in their trials. They were not to abandon the hopes of the gospel, but were to cherish those hopes to the end of life, whatever opposition they might meet with, and however much might be done by others to induce them to apostatize. Compare the notes at Heb_10:35-36.

Mat 6:25 -
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought ... - The general design of this paragraph, which closes the chapter, is to warn his disciples against avarice, and, at the same time, against anxiety about the supply of their needs. This he does by four arguments or considerations, expressing by unequalled beauty and force the duty of depending for the things which we need on the providence of God. The “first” is stated in Mat_6:25; “Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?” In the beginning of the verse he charged his disciples to take “no thought” - that is, not to be “anxious” about the supply of their wants. In illustration of this he says that God has given “life,” a far greater blessing than “meat;” that he has created the body, of far more consequence than raiment. Shall not he who has conferred the “greater” blessing be willing to confer the “less?” Shall not he who has formed the body so curiously, and made in its formation such a display of power and goodness, see that it is properly protected and clothed? He who has displayed “so great” goodness as to form the body, and breathe into it the breath of life, will surely “follow up” the blessing, and confer the “smaller” favor of providing that that body shall be clothed, and that life preserved.
No thought - The word “thought,” when the Bible was translated, meant “anxiety,” and is so used frequently in Old English authors. Thus, Bacon says, “Haweis died with ‘thought’ and anguish before his business came to an end.” As such it is used here by our translators, and it answers exactly to the meaning of the original. Like many other words, it has since somewhat changed its signification, and would convey to most readers an improper idea. The word “anxiety” would now exactly express the sense, and is precisely the thing against which the Saviour would guard us. See Luk_8:14; Luk_21:34; Phi_4:6. “Thought” about the future is right; “anxiety, solicitude, trouble” is wrong. There is a degree of “thinking” about the things of this life which is proper. See 1Ti_5:8; 2Th_3:10; Rom_12:11. But it should not be our supreme concern; it should not lead to anxiety; it should not take time that ought to be devoted to religion.
For your life - For what will “support” your life.
Meat - This word here means “food” in general, as it does commonly in the Bible. We confine it now to animal food. When the Bible was translated, it denoted all kinds of food, and is so used in the old English writers. It is one of the words which has changed its meaning since the translation of the Bible was made.

Rom 8:15 -
The spirit of bondage - The spirit that binds you; or the spirit of a slave, that produces only fear. The slave is under constant fear and alarm. But the spirit of religion is that of freedom and of confidence; the spirit of children, and not of slaves; compare the note at Joh_8:32-36.
Again to fear - That you should again be afraid, or be subjected to servile fear - This implies that in their former state under the Law, they were in a state of servitude, and that the tendency of it was merely to produce alarm. Every sinner is subject to such fear. He has everything of which to be alarmed. God is angry with him; his conscience will trouble him; and he has everything to apprehend in death and in eternity. But it is not so with the Christian; compare 2Ti_1:7.
The spirit of adoption - The feeling of affection, love, and confidence which pertains to children; not the servile, trembling spirit of slaves, but the temper and affectionate regard of sons. Adoption is the taking and treating a stranger as one’s own child. It is applied to Christians because God treats them as his children; he receives them into this relation, though they were by nature strangers and enemies. It implies,
(1) That we by nature had no claim on him;
(2) That therefore, the act is one of mere kindness - of pure, sovereign love;
(3) That we are now under his protection and care; and,
(4) That we are bound to manifest toward him the spirit of children, and yield to him obedience. See the note at Joh_1:12; compare Gal_4:5; Eph_1:5. It is for this that Christians are so often called the sons of God.
Whereby we cry - As children who need protection and help. This evinces the habitual spirit of a child of God; a disposition,
(1) To express toward him the feelings due to a father;
(2) To call upon him; to address him in the language of affection and endearing confidence;
(3) To seek his protection and aid.
Abba This word is Chaldee (אבא abba), and means “father.” Why the apostle repeats the word in a different language, is not known. The Syriac reads it. “By which we call the Father our Father.” It is probable that the repetition here denotes merely intensity, and is designed to denote the interest with which a Christian dwells on the name, in the spirit of an affectionate, tender child. It is not unusual to repeat such terms of affection; compare Mat_7:22; Psa_8:1. This is an evidence of piety that is easily applied. He that can in sincerity, and with ardent affection apply this term to God, addressing him with a filial spirit as his Father, has the spirit of a Christian. Every child of God has this spirit; and he that has it not is a stranger to piety.

1Jo 4:18 -
There is no fear in love - Love is not an affection which produces fear. In the love which we have for a parent, a child, a friend, there is no fear. If a man had perfect love to God, he would have no fear of anything - for what would he have to dread? He would have no fear of death, for he would have nothing to dread beyond the grave. It is guilt that makes people fear what is to come; but he whose sins are pardoned, and whose heart is filled with the love of God, has nothing to dread in this world or the world to come. The angels in heaven, who have always loved God and one another, have no fear, for they have nothing to dread in the future; the redeemed in heaven, rescued from all danger, and filled with the love of God, have nothing to dread; and as far as that same loves operates on earth, it delivers the soul now from all apprehension of what is to come.
But perfect love casteth out fear - That is, love that is complete, or that is allowed to exert its proper influence on the soul. As far as it exists, its tendency is to deliver the mind from alarms. If it should exist in any soul in an absolutely perfect state, that soul would be entirely free from all dread in regard to the future.
Because fear hath torment - It is a painful and distressing emotion. Thus men suffer from the fear of poverty, of losses, of bereavement, of sickness, of death, and of future woe. From all these distressing apprehensions, that love of God which furnishes an evidence of true piety delivers us.
He that feareth, is not made perfect in love - He about whose mind there lingers the apprehension of future wrath, shows that love in his soul has not accomplished its full work. Perhaps it never will on any soul until we reach the heavenly world, though there are many minds so full of love to God, as to be prevailingly delivered from fear.

Reactions: ImHisServant
Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ladies!

J21: I'm so happy the meeting went well! That's awesome! :) My Dad is an alcoholic and it's very tough because he doesn't think he needs help. Actually, he knows he needs help but he won't get it. It's a tough situation.

Gina: Thanks for your response to my post. I kept it for my journal. I keep anything that helps me! :)

Sennaria: Your post was awesome!

Todays topic: Fear, anxiety and worry. This is actually so ironic because just last night I posted about this exact topic. lol :D The bible study I'm doing right now talks about this very thing. Let me share my blog entry here with you:

Training our thoughts to defeat fear, worry & anxiety

Human beings in general worry, are anxious and harbour fear. We worry about everything: Am I a good mother? What if I lose my job? What if I never get married? What if I fail?

What do these thoughts and feelings accomplish? Nothing good. These feelings consume and distract us from God. They can paralyze us so that we cannot function or serve.

What are we to do with this anxiety?

1 Peter 5:7> Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.

A definition for cast is to throw away something; we are to throw our fear, worry and anxiety onto Jesus' shoulders.

How do we do that?

Philippians 4:6-8> Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
  • pray
  • give thanks
  • think on the Truth of God's Word
  • think on what is right (no room for what ifs, if onlys or should haves)
It is so easy to feel so utterly alone when struggling with these emotions. We may feel abandoned by God. But we are to walk by faith not by feelings. God's Word clearly states that He will support us, care for us, comfort us, never leave or forsake us. He is there 24/7, whenever we need Him.

Replace your fear, anxiety and worry with trust and faith. Entrust yourself to the One who created you.

Trust Him

Cling to Him

Rely on Him

A practical way to keep ourselves "in check" is to have an accountability partner. Do you have a fellow Christian in your life that you can call when you are feeling down? Someone you trust that will give you solid biblical advice and that will pray with and for you? If not, I would encourage you to find someone that you can have that kind of relationship with. An accountability partner can be an integral part of your Christian walk. A spouse, friend, relative, pastor....anyone that is strong in their faith, a good listener, trusting and able to commit to you would be an asset.

Memory Verse For Week 3:

Matthew 6:34> Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

~God clearly states in His Word that we are not to worry so when we do we are disobeying Him. When I think about it that way it makes me look at worrying from a different perspective. I don't want to disobey my Heavenly Father so I have to omit worrying from my life. It's not a quick fix, it's a constant battle that requires a lot of discipline.

Take Care,
Christina

Upvote 0

J21

Soldier For God's Glory
Aug 24, 2005
Adelaide, South Australia
✟11,758.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Sennaria: " God is much bigger than anything or anyone in the world. "
Great post!...and great line this one above!
That's the thing I hang onto now and have found has eased the anxiety/worry level in my life to what it was. My anxiety came from me trying to be the god of my world. I'd control things so that it all ran perfectly the way that I wanted it to and the moment that a spanner got thrown into it, and it wasn't going so perfectly smooth as I'd planned, my anxiety levels would go ballistic to the point that I was physically ill, lost weight through not being able to eat due to the nervousness of my stomach and used to head off to bed to hide from the world.
The anxiety was always there from trying to maintain this picture of me that I had wanted the world to see and for them to approve of. From out of a dysfunctinal family, I was going to make mine a 'functioning' one...come hell or high water! I know where it took me!
I have not yet become perfect in having absolutely no anxiety/worry and though I have come a heck of a long way from being the control freak I was, having realised that God is the only One who can have total control and He has the best plan for me and mine, I at least now am able to hand more of it over to God to deal with than I did before.
I know that I cannot do it all, by myself, as I once used to think...and each day I am acknowledging this more and more. And this thread is a great help as well.
I think of those phrases...'Let go...Let God", "What is the use of worrying when it will not help change a thing?" and " Live today and let tomorrow take care of itself." ...and it helps but the biggest help of all is knowing how big God is and just why He is who He is...and why I am not Him. ;)
I also like to think on Job and all he went through...how strong he was in His faith and that He knew that we can't have everything run smoothly all of our lives and just dealt with the adversity when it came. He idn't worry or get anxious because he held tightly to and trusted God throughout.
I also find that thinking of how worrying and being anxious affected not just my life but that of my family, how it robbed/robs us of joy in our life and just replaced/replaces it with misery and stress, has helped as well. I hated it back there and so try hard to not end up back there...but slips do happen. At least now I recognise them...most of the time... for what they are and apologise for it and take it to God to help me with.
Pleasing God is the higher ground...not meeting the approval of people here in the world by striving to be what they want or what I 'think' they want me to be. He accepts me not being perfect in all I do and I am honest with Him, He sees the real me. The world just has to accept, as He does, that I am as I am...imperfect but working on the areas where it counts the most...the areas He wants me to become more like Him.
This is something I have to keep reminding myself of daily.
As I said, I have not conquered anxiety/worry completely...that day may never come but it is getting there one day at a time and I know that in it all, I am not alone and can call on God and those I am in fellowship to help strengthen me along the way.

Upvote 0

cristianna

...dancing in the rain...
Aug 21, 2006
✟20,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think everyone has posted incredibly valuable information and guidance regarding this topic.

I would consider myself borderline on this. I was disciplined enough to know it was direct disobedience to worry, but as LivingLifeHisWay said, it was a constant battle. Mainly, I would take the time for fear to set in for a second or two, but will still force myself to move beyond it and push forward.

I'm not sure when the transition took place, or the specific event that it happened with. But I came to a very interesting realization one time. It dawned on me that I can be the greatest pep talk/supporter/encourager/cheerleader for everyone BUT myself.

Now how fair was that for me to be such a supportive friend to others, but not myself? That was when I said enough was enough. For those struggling pep talks, thinking about what you would tell your best friend, etc work!

Upvote 0

ImHisServant

Jun 21, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟18,039.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Friday 11/10/06
Rejection

Read Matthew 13:53-58:
And so they rejected him. Jesus said to them, “A prophet is respected everywhere except in his home town and by his own family.”

Matthew 13:57, Good News Bible

Rejected. Psychologically, “rejected” is a very powerful word. The experience of rejection—especially by family members or those with whom you grew up—is a destructive force that eats away at a person’s soul. To be rejected can lead to feelings of worthlessness, loneliness, isolation, and alienation. Too many of us are walking around with the deep wounds of rejection.
How do you suppose Jesus reacted to the rejection He experienced in His home town? Do you think He got depressed? Angry? Injured? Here He had traveled through the region of the Galilee and gathered a significant following. He had taught large crowds of people and performed many miracles. Coming home, He should have received a hero’s welcome. These are the people who should have been the most pleased with His success. In stead, “they rejected him.”
I wonder how it feels to be rejected when a person does not deserve to be rejected. I have experienced rejection before, but the voice deep within has confirmed to me that I deserved it. After all, I could have been a better, more selfless and giving person. But Jesus did not deserve to be rejected, yet when He came to His own, “his own people did not receive him” (John 1:11).
Jesus seemed to take their rejection of Him pretty well—at least on the surface of the text. He simply quoted a proverb, as if to put their actions in context, “A prophet is respected everywhere except in his home town and by his own family.” Then He moved on, leaving Nazareth behind Him.
Jesus’ ministry in Nazareth took a strange turn, “Because they did not have faith, he did not perform many miracles there” (verse 58). They were deprived of the wonderful things Jesus could have done for them. Their children went unhealed, their deranged people were not delivered, their spiritual condition remained dark. Jesus did not have the influence in His own town that He did everywhere else.
Life is not always smooth and your friends and family are not always supportive. You may be energetically engaged in God’s will—you may be able to show tangible evidence of the help you are giving to others—, but you cannot expect everyone to be happy for you. There will be people who think they know you (the way Jesus’ neighbors and family thought they knew Him), but who really do not have a clue. But to be rejected for Jesus is to stand with Jesus.
“Lord Jesus, thank You for staying with us even when others may desert us. If we are rejected for doing Your will by those we love, teach us how to handle it the way You did and move on in Your will. Do not allow us to become self-absorbed, fearful, or inactive, but keep us energized.”

Have you felt rejected by your own family and friends?? How did you handle it and get through?? Are you going through it now?? That pain is a horrible pain to feel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

INFJ

:)
Sep 13, 2006
✟16,542.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:wave: GOOOD morning my dear sister

Have you felt rejected by your own family and friends??
Alot of the time!!!...FIRST my family has estranged me for my beliefs and all. It hurts but to be honest with you I know that Jesus is protecting me from them. I have done my part in being Christ like. If it is the Lords calling to minister to them I shall. Plus mother has an aweful demon on her, she is a 24/7 drunk. My father is in total denial. I have had a VERY close online friend just dump me over something minor. OH Sisters that hurt a great deal. but I know that the Lord has helped me through that moment too!!!!:amen: One more point to add I have been outcasted alllllll of my life...BUT Jesus Gave me my guardian angel to keep me company!!!!:angel:
How did you handle it and get through??
Well I am still trying to get through how my parents want nothing to do with me. BUT the Lord has blessed me with a WONDERFUL best friend/roommate (who is a christian as well). It makes for a JOYFULL holiday season. I am truely excited and BLESSED that I can spend time with her and cook for her. Same with Christmas, I am really excited to spend it at home with her too. Yeah, it would be nice to go to my families home too but I thinkthis is the way The Lord wants it. Sometimes I do feel like an ODD BALL cause I fell that I am the ONLY ONE who is not spending time with the fam but that is the way theLord wants it!:thumbsup:

Are you going through it now?? That pain is a horrible pain to feel.
Yes sometimes it is painful REALLY heartbreaking but again I count my blessings..I have my NEAR AND DEAR best friend and my guardian angel to keep me company on the holidays. Yes I may not be traveling home but then again DO I really wanna go home to a family who HATES holidays only cause my mother wants to get loaded up with booze...NO that is not the holiday season for me!!!

GREAT one today!!! I LUV this one!!!!!

God be with you all!:hug:

Upvote 0

JoyouslyHopeful

Sep 15, 2006
✟15,748.00
Faith
Christian
Friday 11/10/06

Rejection

Read Matthew 13:53-58:
And so they rejected him. Jesus said to them, “A prophet is respected everywhere except in his home town and by his own family.”
Matthew 13:57, Good News Bible

Have you felt rejected by your own family and friends?? How did you handle it and get through?? Are you going through it now?? That pain is a horrible pain to feel.

Isaiah 53:3
3 He was despised, and rejected by men; a man of suffering, and acquainted with disease. He was despised as one from whom men hide their face; and we didn't respect him.

4 Surely he has borne our sickness, and carried our suffering; yet we considered him plagued, struck by God, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. The punishment that brought our peace was on him; and by his wounds we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray. Everyone has turned to his own way; and Yahweh has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

I found comfort in knowing that Jesus knew and understood exactly how I felt while dealing with my personal rejections. It all enabled me to lean closer onto Him... knowing though family or friends may reject me... He was for me and not against me. I focused on His word and His promises that He would NEVER leave me nor forsake me. It was HIs love and reassurance that saw me through the heart break.

Upvote 0

Sennaria

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
Hill Country, Texas
✟17,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember a time when I was a teenager. Well not quite a teenager; I had graduated high school and was starting college and had gotten a full time entry level position at Exxon Corp. Anyway, not the second week of classes and only months into my new job, I ended up having knee surgery for an injury I'd sustained at the end of my high school (graduated on crutches and prom on crutches) anyway then right after that I started 2 years of painful surgeries on a problem I had in which my mother was very little support. I spent the two years on major pain med's and literally was doing things in the hospital I did not realize. She had the phone yanked out of my room because I supposadly was making phone calls to my grandmother. Anyway moving on, I had gotten my own apartment and of course had lost it during this so had had to move back home. After all the surgeries I was a mess. I would lay in my bed in the middle of the night and cry for my mom who was just downstairs, but she would never come. I begged to go to my aunt's in PA just to try and figure out where I was going to go from there and was not allowed. I got a weekend at my cousin's instead. I so needed help and got none. Finally at 18.5 years old I "ran away", I got no help at home, so I ran off with my "boyfriend" who ended up being my kids dad, my ex. So my doing this, I got blacklisted from my family, blamed for my mom's illness and later about a year or so, when my Dad came to get me to bring me home my mom would not even let me in the house.

It is still painful, and I spent years trying to make up for it, even though inside, I didn't feel I had done anything wrong and I had been the one hurt.

I don't know why I went into this, its still painful, but now, I have to go to work.....I'll try to follow up later.

Thanks for listening.

Sennaria

Upvote 0

cristianna

...dancing in the rain...
Aug 21, 2006
✟20,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Before I post my response, I should probably introduce myself! Novel idea huh? ^_^ I'm uy to my dh who truly is a great and profound person; we have two dd's. I've been a member here for a short time. I met LivingLifeHisWay online through a blog. I've dubbed her my Soul Sista :p And she introduced me to here (thank you LLHW). I'm glad she did because I never knew about this part of the forum, and I'm very excited to have this opportunity.

Back to the post. Yes I currently am rejected and have been in the past through a variety of avenues and people. Firstly my family. It's a two-way street. I've not "rejected" them, but their ways of manipulation and darkness have created rough boundaries on our relationship-- just about every single family member. I guess if this was a black and white question, the truest answer would be yes I have rejected them.

I am also currently rejected by neighbors whom think many different things about me; townspeople who label newly moved to the area as "transplants" and bluntly tell you to go back where you came from; dh family due to my choice of the denomination I raise my children under, and probably more that I'm just not thinking of immediately.

Of course I believe rejection is painful, angering and lonesome feeling. I think it's unrealistic for someone to say it doesn't hurt. But I feel the hurt has a great variety of pain levels. The rejection from my neighbors doesn't bother me too greatly. Maybe if we had been friends first, the pain would be more intense. Same thing for our townspeople. Family definitely hurts very much with no indifference to if it's my family or dh's.

I've dealt with it in numerous ways-- probably some good and some bad. I'm a justifier and can sincerely justify anything. The conflict with neighbors and town members really don't bother me, and I pretty much ignore the conflict by trying to lead by example. I do believe one day things will change, but that's not on my timeline.

Family is a hard. I learned alot over the past 9-12 months when it comes to dealing with my family. When the request of communication or gain is onesided I find a way out. I only hear from them when money, gossip, back stabbing or the desire to drown me with their clutches is the agenda. It's never how am I, dh, girls, etc. The very first time I said, "no" was scary, painful and nerve wracking. But the sense of relief, knowing I stood up for myself and refused to fall prey to them was invigorating. It is a daily battle because I genuinely do care about them, but our lives, focus, and goals are so dramatically different boundaries must be defined.

Now, the in-laws I pawned off onto my dh to handle. And believe it or not, he was the one to initiate that. His mother repeatedly states harsh and nasty comments about the denomination I raise the girls in, and believes the one and only "true Christian" denomination is what their family has been for generations upon generations. To have dh deal with it was wonderful for several reasons. First, I never realized how much he supported the church choice I made for the myself and the girls (which was not based on denomination, but based on pastor, activities, biblical grounding and teachings, etc), and secondly it was him telling his mother to back down, not me. I'm certain we all know how beneficial that was.

For me rejection is based on alot of things: jealousy, ignorance, lack of care/concern, etc. I'd rather be rejected, and feel I'm doing the best I can or know how to, than to feel I need to bend my ways to be accepted according to your standards.

Upvote 0

~InHisHands~

At the feet of Jesus
Sep 3, 2006
✟18,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Friday 11/10/06

Rejection

I have lived with rejection my entire life. It has only gotten worse after coming to Christ. But, there is no way I would turn back now. I would rather live with the pain, the lonliness and the isolation as opposed to losing the only person who genuinely loves me and will never stop loving me. If we are truly going to follow Christ we just have to keep moving on regardless of what is going on around us.

1 John 2:17
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Everything in this world will one day pass away. God is everlasting. It is difficult to stay focused and remain Kingdom-minded when the devil is constantly throwing stuff at us all the time. We have to get to a place where things of the world do not phase our walk and interrupt our journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sennaria

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
Hill Country, Texas
✟17,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ack, I just read my post and realized how scattered it sounded. So I shall try to sum it up.
When I was in and out of the hospital, my mom and dad finally quit even coming to see me, took the phone out and truly had no clue what was going on with me, even though I was under their care. I would go through withdrawals when I was released I'd had so much pain medication. A girl I met at my apartment complex was the one who helped me through my worst withdrawal episode, I lived on her couch for a week cause I couldn't care for myself. When I ended up back at my parent's house, I was so lost. I'd lost everything I had gained. My independence, apartment, job (I got fired while I was in the recovery room from surgery due to all my hospital stays), and was screwed up in the head from medication.

It hurt, truly hurt that I could lay in my bed crying out for my mother and have her not respond in any way. And when I needed a simple thing like going to see my Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Jim so I could try to get some direction in my life, and to be denied that, was like the ultimate in betrayal. All I wanted was to get my life back on the road, maybe go back to school. I knew my kids dad at that time, though nothing serious. Oh, geeze I'd forgotten this also. A guy I'd dated my first serious boyfriend in high school had just dumped me also, I'd found out that he'd been seeing other girls, he was older than me and was just flat out mean in his break up of me while I was in the hospital. I had a friend, John, who I think actually cared for me more than I truly realized he did, that for so many years later, I wished I had turned to, rather than running off with my ex's brother and girlfriend *we, the ex and I were not together when I "ran away"*. I was so angry that my parents, and mainly my mom, would not acknowledge that I needed any help, that I felt I had no option but to just leave. I'm out of high school, almost 19 years old, and had no idea what to do. So, I made the bad choice of possibilities, now that I look back on it and went with this couple to Illinois, where later, about 6 months later, I ended up getting together with my ex in Oklahoma. During the time in Illinois, I had contacted John to try and borrow some money as I didn't have any, I was looking for work and not having much luck and he said he would send me a ticket to come home and that was it, of course, in my state of mind then, I said no and turned my back on him. I've regretted it ever since, and so many times, I've wished I could find him and apologize for hurting him. I know now, that at that point, that was my savings point, I'dve had a different life if I had taken his offer.
But don't be disheartened at this for God does take what the enemy means for bad and makes something good of it. I learn after being gone a year, that my dad had hit the streets looking for me, in downtown Houston etc.....and I felt really bad about that. I never wanted to run from him, it was my mom. I contacted them about 3 months after being gone and let them know I was ok, but things were never the same. My Dad got over things but my mom never did. And I ended up losing all my aunts, uncles, grandmother everyone for the rest of my life because of things my mom said, alot of which were not true.
It was just last year when I reconciled (30 years later) with my grandmother and aunt (the one I had wanted to go to) and found out that they still loved me. My mom had told me that everyone blamed me for her illnesses and problems and didn't want contact with me. She lied to me. I lost my family for my whole adult life pretty much. When I had been with my ex for about a year I got pregnant with my first child, and we were not in a good living condition in East Texas. My Dad came and got me, we didn't realize I was pregnant yet and when he took me home, my mom would not allow me to even enter the house for months. I had to go to my sisters. She always held it over my head and blamed me for her post polio syndrome and neuropathy.

Anyway, the good thing of this story is...that even though I chose the wrong path that God had out there for me, He still blessed me with three wonderful children and now 2 grandchildren. That is all that I came out of that marriage with of 17 years, but it is enough. There is not one material thing from that marriage, alot of emotional damage, and I found my Lord and Savior during my marriage. So that is two things.
So God can work all things for His good.
I still have a hard time with my mom, but I'm working on it and God is leading me.
Men can reject us....and hurt us.....but we have one in heaven who sacrificed for us....His only son and will love us til the day we join Him.

Thank you Jesus.

Good night Ladies.

Sennaria

Upvote 0

J21

Soldier For God's Glory
Aug 24, 2005
Adelaide, South Australia
✟11,758.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Sennaria ...God does take what the enemy means for bad and makes something good of it.
An excellent thought to hold on to. Thanks Sennaria. :)
IHS: Have you felt rejected by family and friends?
Since losing my oldest sister to cancer a year ago, I/we have been going through this [rejection] with her hubby. I used to visit them about once a fortnight and we would, she and I, be on the phone to each other almost every second day. During the time of her illness which lasted a year or so, she 'pushed' me away a bit but it was I think because she wanted to tough it out, and not let her illness affect me, as it had when my mum died from another form of cancer .Also, it is a time for an individual family unit to share, more than with all the other parts of the family. I didn't understand it/ like it much at the time but know why she did it and so accept it more that I once did. My sister died in the June of 2005.

Every Christmas Day is the only time, apart from weddings and funerals [few and far apart] that our whole family comes together for the year...sad but true. We always rotate whose house it will be at and we all take a plate/s of food etc to share. So last November, I let my brother in law know that Christmas was going to be at my oldest brother's house that year and the response I got hit me..."I'm not going traipsing around the country Christmas Day. I have my family now. They'll be coming here this year and then next year A [ my niece who got md earlier this year] will have it at her house. Then V [ my nephew] will have it there or we'll have it here again."
I was astounded !...like who did he think we were? Chopped liver? We have been, or thought we [ my brothers and sisters] had been 'his family' for over 30 years...now "He has his family" and that's it...we are no longer.
Rejection? Yes.
Handled it? No.
I just sat there and said something like "Oh, okay." and that was it. I am afraid that I have not seen him face to face since and whereas I was keeping in touch through E-mails, that has stopped since about Feb. He's actually gone back to Italy to see his 2 sisters for a month or so and my ister found out some way...not too sure how. No letting us know at all.
Does it hurt? Yes. Because it feels like we have no place in his world now...was it only my sister that tied him/them to us? He was freakishly diagnosed with cancer at the same time as she was and his had the better outcome, and during that time, my family and I helped them with things as families who love each other do...but then this attitude that just floors me/us!
We all have our own famiies, each and every one of us but we see Christmas Day as the best opportunity to all get together and share what has been going on with each family all year. We all lead such busy lives with our families and everything else we do. We enjoy coming together as a 'family' for that one special day.

What have I done about it /am I going to do about it?
Don't really know. I know I am now 'rejecting' the one who has 'rejected'...and my only surviving sister is doing it as well. And I know that it's not what God would want me to do. But it just hurts so much.
I have thought that as Christmas is at my house this year, that I will send him/them an early Christmas card and include the invitation to come and join in with the rest of 'their' family. My niece and nephew don't come either, even just 'dropping in' after going to his place.

I could have understood if it had been that he merely wanted to spend the first Christmas without my sister, with just themselves...that would have been okay...but it wasn't...it's like my sister died so that part of 'our' family connection just went and died with her. Like we were his family but now he has his so bad luck, we don't count anymore. :(
Sorry I have rambled a bit but that's it. We'll see what pans out I guess. I pray that God will give me the right words to put to him [B-I-Law] about it...and a change in attitude in me...should be the other way around I guess...my attitude first - his second. Yes?

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thursday 11/9/06
Negative Self-Talk

My old pastor from when I lived in New York would constantly tell us to watch our words. To speak God's word and speak in agreemant with God's word. To not speak negative about any situation.

Here is a link to some of the study notes. I hope this helps.
Word Power
Prosperity Overflow: Eight Steps to Your Destination
The Word of God Will Produce Your Thinking
How to Take Charge Over Our Emotions
Your Emotions Will Produce Your Decisions
Your Decisions Will Produce Your Actions
Your Actions Will Produce Your Habits
The Importance of Walking in Character

Here is another link to the archives
Study Notes

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life].
Matthew 12:37
For by your words you will be justified and acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned and sentenced
Psalm 34:13
Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit
Psalm 39:1
[ To the Chief Musician; for Jeduthun [founder of an official musical family]. A Psalm of David. ] I SAID, I will take heed and guard my ways, that I may sin not with my tongue; I will muzzle my mouth as with a bridle while the wicked are before me.
Proverbs 12:18
There are those who speak rashly, like the piercing of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing
Proverbs 15:4
A gentle tongue [with its healing power] is a tree of life, but willful contrariness in it breaks down the spirit
Proverbs 17:20
He who has a wayward and crooked mind finds no good, and he who has a willful and contrary tongue will fall into calamity
Proverbs 21:23
He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from troubles
James 1:26
If anyone thinks himself to be religious (piously observant of the external duties of his faith) and does not bridle his tongue but deludes his own heart, this person's religious service is worthless (futile, barren).
1 Peter 3:10
For let him who wants to enjoy life and see good days [good--whether apparent or not] keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile (treachery, deceit).

Upvote 0

rhssm

Senior Veteran
Dec 20, 2004
✟2,830.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Friday 11/10/06
Rejection

I feel like I can relate to this. This guy I really cared about, ended up rejecting me. He was a huge part of my life. Ever since, I've been recovering from a lot of damage that rejection caused. I know it seems like it shouldn't have been such a big deal, but there's a lot more to it than I'm telling.

To be rejected can lead to feelings of worthlessness, loneliness, isolation, and alienation.

I have felt all of these things following the event. And I have been recovering ever since. And some of it was really that I was already struggling when I met him, but now I had new problems on top of the old ones to work out.

You may be energetically engaged in God’s will—you may be able to show tangible evidence of the help you are giving to others—, but you cannot expect everyone to be happy for you. There will be people who think they know you (the way Jesus’ neighbors and family thought they knew Him), but who really do not have a clue.

This is how I've felt lately at work. All I've done is do my job, what I'm supposed to be doing, and yet coworkers have been criticizing me about things that aren't really true. I think it's starting to get better though.

How did you handle it and get through?? Are you going through it now?? That pain is a horrible pain to feel.

I'm getting through it right now. Lately I've been forcing myself to do things that make me pretty uncomfortable. I'm trying to step outside of my comfort zone, because I'm sick of this rut that I'm in. I'm thinking about transferring to another bank, first of all. Then I'm thinking about choosing a business major and that being what I finish school with. Then I'm making myself spend time with this guy who keeps asking me out, to help me get over my fear of getting too close to men. That guy invited me to this weekly bible study at his church, I'm going to try it out. Then I just signed up to become a Mary Kay consultant.... I really don't know what I'm doing there. I feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE right now. My life feels so unstable and I don't really feel like I belong anywhere that I am right now. I wish I felt like I had people who were my type around me. I wish I felt like I had more direction... it's clearer direction than before, but I'm still waiting for my real life to begin. Please pray for me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.