Come Into The Deep End... with ImHisServant (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟22,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You make some good points. :)
I woke up at 5 this morning. Part of the reason I woke up though was because it was thundering and lightning. I layed there for just a few minutes and then got up (part of the reason I wanted to get up though was to turn on the news to check the weather).
So I did read one chapter in the Bible, then continued reading another book I'm reading through for the 2nd time called The Gutter (I'm taking notes down out of it). Then it was time to get ready. But, I got to work about 45 minutes early. I'm the secretary at our church and work 8-4. But, if I'm ready by the time I drive my boys up the lane to the bus (at 7:05) I come on in to work. So when I got here I made coffee then walked around the church for 10 minutes (our hallway goes in a 'circle') and prayed during that time. I'm going to try to do that every morning. I can get a little exercise, which I need, and pray at the same time!! :)
:thumbsup: :) Sounds like a good start!

I think God stretches time for me somehow in the mornings. I generally have some work to do in the mornings before I go out but I always get it done. I always seem to be ready on time to go out. My prayer life is a bit sporadic at the moment though. I do pray every day. Often it's a quick request. I like to spend longer periods in prayer though because I then tend to feel that I'm walking through life side by side with God rather than calling up to him in desperation.

Maharg

Upvote 0
W

woman.at.the.well

Wednesday 2/28/07

Going Out of Your Way

"He... bandaged his wounds... Then he put the
man on his own donkey, took him to an inn
and took care of him. The next day he took out
two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper."
Luke 10:34-35

What's the best way to help a friend with a problem? Pray for her, then go on your way? Prayer is certainly important. But the lesson learned from this passage shows us that if we go out of our way to help someone - even inconvenience ourselves, or spend our time and money - we will be showing true friendship.

So, always and energetically pray for your friends. But, if you have the material means to tangibly meet some of their needs... do that, too. It shows real, true and active friendship in a way that nothing else can.

no topic for thursday is up just yet i'll go ahead and comment on this.

This is a really neat topic. It is an excellent reminder of how we should be and is kind of going along with the theme of the type of church I am looking for. I recently left my church of almost 5 yrs because I think they seriously overlooked this part of being a Christian. Not just to our friends; but to people in need in general.

I usually try to remember to pray for my friends and loved ones (the two are synonymous I suppose) everyday. It is really important!!! Thank you for the reminder ImHisServant! Bless you!

Hope everyone is having a great day!:hug:

Reactions: Smileyill
Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
no topic for thursday is up just yet i'll go ahead and comment on this.

This is a really neat topic. It is an excellent reminder of how we should be and is kind of going along with the theme of the type of church I am looking for. I recently left my church of almost 5 yrs because I think they seriously overlooked this part of being a Christian. Not just to our friends; but to people in need in general.

I usually try to remember to pray for my friends and loved ones (the two are synonymous I suppose) everyday. It is really important!!! Thank you for the reminder ImHisServant! Bless you!

Hope everyone is having a great day!:hug:

AAAAHHHHH!!! I did it again! I forgot!! I am supposed to post Thursdays topic!! what is wrong with me????
:(
Ok, give me a few and I'll post it!!!

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, here it is. Sorry it's so late and hope it's not too long.

How's Your Love Life? part 2

What would you say about a church that has these kinds of problems…. A church that has divisions and factions, envying, strife, contention; a church where there's a competitive spirit; a church where members are going around suing each other.

What would you say about a church where there is a lot of emphasis on rights? Where people are exercising their Christian freedom at the expense of others? What about a church where people take advantage of each other?

What would you say about a church that has a lot of spiritual gifts, but they abuse those gifts and use them to tear each other down rather than to build each other up?

What would you say is the basic issue in that kind of church? As I read that list, some of you realized that I was describing the church in Corinth, the New Testament church. All those problems (& more) we just listed are described in the Book of 1 Corinthians. This was a church that had all of those problems and more. So what was the basic issue? Well, there were a number of issues, but one that the apostle Paul keeps coming back to is the issue of love.

You see, the absence of love in the church of Corinth created multiple other problems. The absence of love in our churches, in our relationships, creates multiple problems. It is possible to be doctrinally sound and orthodox, but not to have love. It's possible to be active in church work, but not to have love. Just as the absence of love creates a multitude of problems, so the presence of love in a church, in a home, in a workplace, in a nation--the presence of love can solve almost every problem that you can think of.

The presence of agape love--God's love, that kind of love that is self-giving, self-sacrificing, that kind of love that serves, that is committed to the best interests of the other person and doesn't expect anything in return--(can solve almost every problem).

Paul is writing 1 Corinthians to a group of people who claim to be believers. He is saying, "You have access to the love of God." In fact, "the love of God"--he tells us in Romans--has been "shed abroad in your hearts by the Holy Spirit"(Romans 5:5). The love is there. There is access to it, but you have to be willing to appropriate that love and live it out in your daily relationships, in the nitty-gritty of everyday life.

As you read through the Book of 1 Corinthians, you see so many evidences of what would be true if there really were love. What is the way of love? Paul says we're to pursue love. We're to walk in the way of love. What does that way look like?

In the Book of 1Corinthians, Paul says that if we really love each other, we will respect each other and each other's gifts and strengths. We will be joined together, he says, with the same mind, working toward a common goal instead of working against each other. We will think of each other as family. He says, "Brothers and sisters." There is a relationship that is possible.

If we're walking in the way of love, Paul says that we will nurture other believers spiritually. We'll be feeding the Word of God to those in spiritual need. Paul says that the way of love is the way of humility, esteeming others as better than ourselves, lifting them up rather than lifting ourselves up.

If there is love, Paul says that we will mourn over sin in the Body of Christ. When necessary, we will exercise discipline for the possibility of restoration--with the goal of the person who has sinned being restored. If we're walking in the way of love, we're going to speak well of other servants of God. We're not going to be critical with our tongues. We're going to speak words of commendation and affirmation about God's servants.

In a church or family or community that has love, there's going to be a willingness to be wronged without retaliating. There is not going to be a vengeful spirit or a getting even or getting back. I'll be willing to absorb the wrongs that are done to me.

If we're walking in the way of love, we're going to be willing to yield our rights rather than claiming our rights. We'll be willing to even suffer, if need be, so that the Gospel of Christ will never be injured--so that others will never think poorly of it.

Let love be the rule. Let it be the law of your life. The love of Christ--let it govern everything that you do. Let it govern the way that you do church. Let it govern the way that you do marriage and parenting. Let it govern your relationships when you leave church and go out into the world.

Paul says in verse one, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Then down to the last verse of the chapter: "Now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." And then what's the very next verse? Verse 1 of chapter 14: "Follow the way of love."

Do you follow the way of love?

Reactions: powerofprayer
Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lately, my prayer life hasn't been what it should be. I've been kind of stagnant in my walk.
I know a lot of it is because I've let life get in the way. Seems like I'm always too busy to read the Bible, spend time in prayer, etc.
I do pray, I pray daily. But usually they are just little quick prayers. I just don't spend the time with God that I should.
I am trying to get back at it. I used to get up early every morning (between 5 & 5:30) and have my quiet time for at least half an hour. So last night when I went to bed, I prayed about it. My alarm is set for 5:40 & then 6:00 (it has two alarms on it). I didn't reset it, but I prayed and told God I'd like to get up earlier and would He please wake me up. (I did this before, years ago, when I was trying to decide when to have my quiet time).
I woke up this morning just a little after 5:00. I felt awake, but I layed there for a few minutes. It's so easy to shut my eyes and go back to sleep! But I told myself to get up that I was awake and if I fell back to sleep I'd probably feel groggier when I did get up.
So, I did get my lesson done for our class here at church tonight and read a little bit of the book "Falling in Love With Jesus". I really didn't have too much of a prayer time, just a short one.
But, at least I did get up! That's a step in the right direction!! :)

:clap: It's definitely a step in the right direction!!! I think that's great. Please let me know how you like the book you're reading. :)

Reactions: powerofprayer
Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wednesday 2/28/07

Going Out of Your Way

What's the best way to help a friend with a problem? Pray for her, then go on your way? Prayer is certainly important. But the lesson learned from this passage shows us that if we go out of our way to help someone - even inconvenience ourselves, or spend our time and money - we will be showing true friendship.

So, always and energetically pray for your friends. But, if you have the material means to tangibly meet some of their needs... do that, too. It shows real, true and active friendship in a way that nothing else can.

Love in action is something I always try to enforce....I love to help others. My husband does too but he has issues with people knowing that he's done something for someone so he always does it anonomously. (sp?) lol

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh this is wonderful to hear rosiecotton! Good luck with it!

Yesterday, I adopted a dog from the local shelter. She is a beautiful and sweet Rottweiler mixed with something else (I'll post her pic in about a week after I have had a chance to start fattening her up, she is soooo thin right now). So I take her out to walk...a lot....and I am going to use that time also to bolster my time with the Lord. Outside, amongst all the trees and birds, its quiet....thank you for the idea Rosie! It was your walking the hall that made me think of it!

Senn

Can't wait to see pics of your dog! :D

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul says in verse one, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Then down to the last verse of the chapter: "Now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." And then what's the very next verse? Verse 1 of chapter 14: "Follow the way of love."

I sure do try! It's hard sometimes when people wrong me but I know that I need to follow the way of love. My church needs to learn how to love because right now it's not. :( We're having a lot of the problems at our church right now that were listed above and it's not fun. I really need to spend a lot of time in prayer and lift my church up. If you think of it would you do the same? Thanks :)

Upvote 0

powerofprayer

I will praise Him in this storm.....
May 12, 2006
Georgia
✟16,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wednesday 2/28/07

Going Out of Your Way

Sorry guys!! I'm a little behind here!!
I love to help people. Matter of fact...the ministry I go on a lot of mission trips with always stresses the fact that it is much easier to meet peoples spiritual needs once you've met their physical needs. I have found that it really is easier & people seem more receptive to the word of God while they are being helped. Even if you are just helping them around the house or giving them a ride to the store. And financially...yea...I've been late on bills before because I've given people money I didn't really have - but at the time - they needed it more than I did!! My husband, however, does not agree with my generousity & it tends to cause problems from time to time. (I just tell him to take it up with my Boss...that would be GOD!! ;) )

Sandy

Upvote 0

powerofprayer

May 12, 2006
Georgia
✟16,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Rosie, this is great! I can't even imagine what an incredible world this would be if everyone loved like this. Heaven on earth I assume.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

burn97

A Bruised Reed Yet My Gentle King Loves Me Anyway
Aug 19, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟35,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Deeper look at Psalm 23: Part 4
March 2, 2007

' He Leads Me Beside The Still Waters '
God leads us. God will do the right thing
at the right time.

" He leads me beside the still waters." David declares. And, in case we miss the point, he repeats the phrase in the next verse: " He leads me in the paths of righteousness."
" He leads me." God isn't behind me, yelling, " GO! " He isn't ahead of me, bidding, " COME! " He is in the front, clearing the path, cutting the brush, showing the way. Just before the curve, he says, " Turn here." Prior to the rise, he motions, " Step up here." Standing next to the rock, he warns, " Watch your step here."
He leads us. He tells us what we need to know when we need to know it. As a New Testament writer would affirm: " We will find grace to help us when we need it" (Hebrews 4:16).
God leads us. God will do the right thing at the right time. And what a difference that makes. . . .
God is leading you. Leave tomorrow's problems until tomorrow.
Arthur Hays Sulzberger was the publisher of the New Your Times during the Second World War. Because of the world conflict, he found it almost impossible to sleep. He was never able to banish worries from his mind until he adopted as his motto these five words - " one step enough for me " - taken from the hymn " Lead Kindly Light. " :
Lead, kindly Light . . .
Keep Thou my feet; I don not ask to see
the distant scene; one step enough for me.
God isn't going to let you see the distant scene either. So you might as well quit looking for it. He promises a lamp unto our feet, not a crystal ball into the future (Psalm 119:105). We do not need to know what will happen tomorrow. We only need to know he leads us and " we will find grace to help us when we need it" (Hebrews 4:16).
We need to hear that God is still in control. We need to hear that it's not over until he says so. We need to hear that life's mishaps and tragedies are not a reason to bail out. They are simply a reason to sit tight.
Corrie ten Boom use to say, " When the train goes through a tunnel and the world gets dark, do you jump out? Of course not. You sit still and trust the engineer to get you through."
Next time you're disappointed, don't panic. Don't jump out. Don't give up. Just be patient and let God remind you he's still in control. It ain't over till it's over.

- Are there areas in your life that you still haven't given over to the Lord?

Upvote 0

burn97

A Bruised Reed Yet My Gentle King Loves Me Anyway
Aug 19, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟35,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a beautiful poem: by one of my favorite authors, Stormie Omartian
~Just Enough Light~
Sometimes only the step I'm on,
or the very next one ahead,
is all the is illuminated for me.
God gives just the amount of light I need
for the exact moment I need it.
At those times I walk in surrender to faith,
unable to see the future
and not fully comprehending the past.
And because it is God who has given me
what light I have,
I know I must reject the fear and
doubt that threaten to overtake me.
I must determine to be content where
I am, and allow God to get me where I
need to go.
I walk forward,
one step at time,
fully trusting that
the light God sheds
is absolutely sufficient.

What a wonderful way our fellow sister Stormie has put faith into words. Faith. How often do we live by faith? By trust? How often do we give to others what we should give to God? Why is it so easy to trust in people yet so difficult to trust our Creator?
Before I became a Christian, the future held a certain appeal to me. I read the horoscopes, I studied astrology, I looked at charts, I used the tarrots, talked to the psychics and played the ouji. Each one of these told me exactly who I was, what I wanted, where I was going. My life was mapped out by the hand of man, and guess what, It was a wreck. The future I was so worried about was full of demons, full of darkness and dread. I had no foundation in which to stand and each time the storm came I was hurled into the torrent and felt the effects of drowning. Yet it was that future that I held so tightly to. And it was that future that was killing me on a daily basis.
Without God, you are drowning. Without His Glorious Light You are a blind man heading for a cliff. As our brother David proudly exclaims, we are sheep. Left to our own accord we are merely dinner to each and every wolf that comes are way.
That's why sheep aren't left on their own, and why we too aren't alone either.
Our Shepherd defends us against the wolves that come along the way. He guides us away from the cliffs before us. He calms the water that rages against us. It is not by our our strength, but by His. It is only when we are safe in His Arms that we find the peace, the security, the safety that we so desprately need.
When we stop trying to determine our own future, and place it in His Hand, we succeed. As I am learning, the more I give to my God the more He gives to me.
Trust. I trust my Lord. I trust that He will lead me into the Glorious Future He has promised. And listen to the promise He gives: " No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has concieved what God has prepared for those who love him." (1 Corinthians 2:9).

Upvote 0

jenrenee

Child of God
Nov 16, 2006
Midwest - GO HUSKERS!!
✟9,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
- Are there areas in your life that you still haven't given over to the Lord?

I hate to admit it, but, yes, there is an area in my life that I have yet to give to the Lord 100%. I try to put all my trust in the Lord, but for some reason, this one area is so hard for me. I keep telling myself that things happen for a reason, that God knows what is best for me. Yet, I still have a hard time understanding. I pray that he will answer this one request, and then I am not patient enough to wait for his answer! I know that the path he has chosen for me, is the right one for me - but it is taking so long to get there! So, I've given part of this problem to the Lord, but I need to work on giving him all the rest of the pieces. Great topic today, as always. I hope you all have a great weekend!!

Upvote 0

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟22,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some great devotionals today - thank you. :thumbsup:

I never thought of 'being lead' in those terms before. I always thought of God being way ahead with me trying to keep up. Thinking about it, I guess that's the model I have from my own father. When we went for family walks, he always strode off ahead and everyone else struggled to keep up with him. I never thought of God as actually taking my hand and leading me step by step, or at least, not in the way you painted it, thank you.

I do struggle with worrying. I find it ever so difficult not to. I had observations at work today and have struggled to sleep all week because of it. I do pray that my trust in God will grow and that I will be able to trust him for everything.

Anyway, thank you again for the devotional.

:hug:
Maharg

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great Topic today!

It gives me such peace knowing that I am not alone. It doesn't matter how alone I feel the fact is God is here with me, holding my hand, leading me (as you stated in the topic). Life is scary sometimes and if I had to go through it alone I don't know what I would do. But as long as I keep looking up and trusting in Him everything will be ok. Even if things don't turn out the way I had hoped, I have peace knowing that God's will is perfect, He knows what's best for me and my family (even if the road is bumpy) there's always a reason.

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

powerofprayer

May 12, 2006
Georgia
✟16,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
JenRenee, I love your St. Patty's Day outfit!! You look SO festive! I got this cool (and LUCKY...I might add!) 4 leaf clover from my St. Patty's Day secret buddy. I think I may go shopping in the "armor" store later and buy some clothes that matches my clover!!
Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Sandy :wave:

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One thing I've always said is God knows my future and He knows how to get me there. All I have to do is follow.
But, yes, sometimes it's hard!! I want to know what my future holds for me. Are we ever going to get our finances worked out and get out of debt? Will I ever actually spend lots of time on my art and selling it? Soooo, many questions. But all I can do is trust Him and know that He holds my future.
I think right now the main thing I have a hard time giving to him totally is our finances.

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TOPIC FOR: MONDAY MARCH 5TH

More To Live Is Christ Reflections....

PART 1:

Back in Week 2 Barnabas was introduced in the book of Acts. His original name was Joseph but the apostles renamed him Barnabas because it meant Son of Encouragement. And that's who he was....an encourager. To offer encouragement is to give others hope and confidence. He lifted the other believers up in prayer, encouraged them to follow God's ways and he even brought Saul before the apostles and encouraged them to accept him as a new brother. You see, they were fearful that the great persecutor of Christians was lying and wasn't saved at all. He gave them all courage to trust in the Lord and accept this newly made servant of Christ. What an example Barnabas is. We should always be ready and willing to encourage one another.

Discussion for Part 1:
How are you doing in the encouragement department?
Do you willing reach out to lift others up? Do you need some encouragement today?

Part 2:

When the gentiles of Antioch began believing and turned to God Barnabas was sent to them. In Acts 11:23 he "encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts". He encouraged them to plan in advance to remain faithful to the Lord. Committing ourselves to the Lord before trials occur and before temptation arises can greatly increase victory! It's so easy to skip through life serving and living for the Lord when the road is straight and smooth. But as soon as the road starts to get bumpy and curvy we tend to fall. We forget who we are serving. Life just gets too hard to cope with. The prize we are striving for gets blurred. However, by resolving to remain with Christ in advance of difficulty we stay ahead of the game. We can stand confident as we overcome anything that gets in our way (or tries to). Planning ahead for those hard days is the same as getting ready for battle. Would you rather fight with a pen or sword?

Discussion for Part 2:
Do you currently plan ahead to remain true to the Lord?

Upvote 0

jenrenee

Child of God
Nov 16, 2006
Midwest - GO HUSKERS!!
✟9,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JenRenee, I love your St. Patty's Day outfit!! You look SO festive! I got this cool (and LUCKY...I might add!) 4 leaf clover from my St. Patty's Day secret buddy. I think I may go shopping in the "armor" store later and buy some clothes that matches my clover!!
Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Sandy :wave:

Thank you! I love your outfit too - very cute!! Especcially the shoes!! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.