Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A 1,100-year-old Hebrew Bible that is one of the world’s oldest surviving biblical manuscripts sold for $38 million in New York on Wednesday, becoming among the most expensive books ever bought.

The Codex Sassoon, a leather-bound, handwritten parchment volume containing a nearly complete Hebrew Bible, was purchased by former US Ambassador to Romania Alfred H. Moses on behalf of the American Friends of ANU and donated to ANU Museum of the Jewish People in Tel Aviv, where it will join the collection, the Sotheby’s auction house said in statement

• Wow
Reactions: Mark Quayle

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A 1,100-year-old Hebrew Bible that is one of the world’s oldest surviving biblical manuscripts sold for $38 million in New York on Wednesday, becoming among the most expensive books ever bought.

The Codex Sassoon, a leather-bound, handwritten parchment volume containing a nearly complete Hebrew Bible, was purchased by former US Ambassador to Romania Alfred H. Moses on behalf of the American Friends of ANU and donated to ANU Museum of the Jewish People in Tel Aviv, where it will join the collection, the Sotheby’s auction house said in statement

I wonder if they're going to allow it to be studied. That would have been around the time of the development of the Masoretic Text. It would be interesting to see what variances are in it.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if they're going to allow it to be studied. That would have been around the time of the development of the Masoretic Text. It would be interesting to see what variances are in it.
Youd think (well, I would), that the museum would publish digital images of the document for scholarly purposes.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I would expect by now there would be photocopy, no?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Any relation to Vidal?

Actually, probably, albeit very distant! Sassoon (in a few different spelling variations) is a very well-known Iraqi Jewish last name and is shared in common with some local Kurdish people from the area around Lake Van in upper Mesopotamia (modern Turkey), which points to that area (now identified with the town of Sason, in Batman Province of Turkey) being the common origin of both the Iraqi Jewish Sassoons and the Kurdish Sassoons. The Iraqi Jewish Sassoons were treasurers to the Pashas of Iraq for a time, but eventually moved to Mumbai, India, and from there eventually to England. Vidal Sassoon, the famous hair stylist, was distantly related to the family via his father, who was born in Thessaloniki, Greece.

Upvote 0