Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2004
New Jersey
✟16,469.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello all. First This is not intented to debate or mean spirited of any kind. Just a humble question.

I've heard that Rome allows the orthodox to recieve our communion in the need to, and that it allows the faithful Catholics to recieve communion at Orthodox Church's in the emergency of not having a Catholic Church. But I also heard that the Latin Rite is not allowed to recieve from Orthodox because they don't allow it nor is the orthodox church let its faithful recieve from Roman Catholic Churchs?

Is that accurate? If so, why isn't allowed by the Orthodox?

Thank You and God Bless.

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No Catholic Rite, whether Latin Rite or Eastern Rite (Ruthenian Byzantines and Melkites included) is permitted to recieve the Eucharist from an Orthodox priest nor is any Orthodox permitted to recieve from a Catholic priest as a consequence of the Great Schism of 1054.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simply put, because we are not in Communion with each other. There are real, deep, differences that divide us. We see sharing the Eucharist as a statement of and a means of being one through the Body of Christ. Until we are of one faith, we cannot share the Holy Eucharist.

Reactions: Moros
Upvote 0

Victrixa

Dear Lord have mercy on me!
Mar 23, 2004
Québec, Canada
✟8,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The amount of difference doesn't matter, the point is they are different and therefore not in Communion.

Ummm, it's just that both Catholics and Orthodox people are Christians - they both follow the Lord - while Muslims and Buddhists are of completely different religions. As Christians, we share Jesus, no matter the differences and/or the convictions. Christians are in communion with each other through their Saviour, Jesus. Just wanted to add that in...

Please take no offense at my statement. The comparison bothers me...

Peace in Christ,

Caroline

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Iconographer said:
No Catholic Rite, whether Latin Rite or Eastern Rite (Ruthenian Byzantines and Melkites included) is permitted to recieve the Eucharist from an Orthodox priest nor is any Orthodox permitted to recieve from a Catholic priest as a consequence of the Great Schism of 1054.
???

Please elaborate on what you are saying here.

Roman Canon 844 allows RC's to receive communion from an Orthodox when there is no RC priest available.

Upvote 0

Iacobus

Feb 29, 2004
Visit site
✟845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father Rick said:
???

Roman Canon 844 allows RC's to receive communion from an Orthodox when there is no RC priest available.

But no Orthodox priest may give them the Eucharist. Its one thing for the RCC to say that their members may commune in an Orthodox Church. Its another to say that the Orthodox Church will allow them to commune. RC Canons are of no meaning to the Orthodox. Like two ships passing in the night....

Reactions: Moros
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
???

The Roman Canon does not govern Orthodoxy. Even though Rome wishes it were otherwise, our Bishops are self-governing and have been so since 33 AD. We are clearly not in communion with each other. Our priests will never give communion to a Roman Catholic, Latin or Oriental Rite, or Old Catholic for that matter. An Orthodox person who is travelling must meet with a priest prior to Divine Liturgy to introduce him/herself in order to approach the chalice. The priest always asks who ones bishop is and what parish they belong to. If an Orthodox must go through this just to approach the chalice, do you think we would be that sloppy and alow a non-Orthodox to take from the Chalice? Communion within Orthodoxy is closed and it doesn't matter if Rome says a Catholic may partake of communion from an Orthodox priest. I challenge you to find an Orthodox priest who is willing to risk being defrocked by his Bishop for breaking the rules of Orthodoxy and giving the Holy Eucharist to a Catholic. It just is not going to happen.

Reactions: Reader Nilus
Upvote 0

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Iconographer said:
The Roman Canon does not govern Orthodoxy. Even though Rome wishes it were otherwise, our Bishops are self-governing and have been so since 33 AD. We are clearly not in communion with each other. Our priests will never give communion to a Roman Catholic, Latin or Oriental Rite, or Old Catholic for that matter. An Orthodox person who is travelling must meet with a priest prior to Divine Liturgy to introduce him/herself in order to approach the chalice. The priest always asks who ones bishop is and what parish they belong to. If an Orthodox must go through this just to approach the chalice, do you think we would be that sloppy and alow a non-Orthodox to take from the Chalice? Communion within Orthodoxy is closed and it doesn't matter if Rome says a Catholic may partake of communion from an Orthodox priest. I challenge you to find an Orthodox priest who is willing to risk being defrocked by his Bishop for breaking the rules of Orthodoxy and giving the Holy Eucharist to a Catholic. It just is not going to happen.

I love it. :clap:

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Iconographer, you are exactly right. The Pope has never had control over the entire church. This issue was one of the issues that caused the Church of Rome to split from the other churches and go off on their own (along with the Filioque and other issues). More issues have come up between the two churches since the Great Schism. The Orthodox have always had closed communion. Only Orthodox may receive Communion in an Orthodox church. It is important that everyone taking Communion have unity of faith, and Catholics and Orthodox don't have unity of faith. Communion unifies Christ's body (the Church community) with Christ. The differences between the Catholics and the Orthodox are not minor little things--there are very major differences. I pray that they can be worked out sometime in the future, but the time is not here.

Reactions: Rechtgläubig
Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If a Roman Catholic person was on his death bed and wanted to renounce his/her erroneous beliefs and be communed in the Orthodox Church I think most priests might, as an act of love and mercy, accept their confession and then administer communion. Orthodoxy is not an exclusive club -- it's Christ's body. In Christ's body there must be unity to take the Holy Mysteries. As was said before, even Orthodox parishoners can be denied the Eucharist if they are not properly prepared for it.

Basil

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mrsilent said:
and you clame to be the true church of christ:(

mrsilent,

This has to do with the OP in in what way ?? Could you be more specific please. I am only guessing as to what offends you, but St. Paul clearly states that members of the Church have physically gotten sick and died from partaking of the Eucharist when they should not. We welcome everyone to become Orthodox for the salvation of their souls, we will not however endanger their souls and the Church by communing those outside of her.

To answer your (implied) question, we do not claim that we are the true Church of Christ, we are the Church.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthias said:
It is my belief that both Orthodox and Roman Catholics should be able to have the option to take Holy Communion in which parish they choose. Obviously the Orthodox have a harsh approach on this issue and do not allow it.

I respect the Roman Catholic Church for allowing it though.

This is the exact reason why I hinted you might want to change your faith icon. Holy Orthodoxy does not have open communion. Period. We view the Roman Catholic Church as being outside the communion of Orthodoxy and therefor because they are not Orthodox they may not recieve the most sacred mysteries. This is not being "harsh" as you suggest, this is being respectful of the most sacred Body of Christ. I do not respect Rome for allowing it's members to in emergency situations recieve from an Orthodox priest (as if an Orthodox priest would ever give Eucharist to a non-Orthodox) because it is just another example of how patronizing Rome is toward the Orthodox Church. I actually see it as Rome being sloppy in it's theology and practice of the faith. But then they are outside the Church so what do I care? :scratch:

Reactions: ufonium2
Upvote 0
M

mrsilent

.:Forum Rule 2:.
Rule No. 2 - No "Trolling"

2) You will not post anything that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. This will include any new user with less than 50 posts starting a "discretional" topic - i.e. a topic not suitable for children. This will also include posts that put down Christianity in general or any posts considered as blasphemy by staff (this is a CHRISTIAN FORUMS site), or posts that put down another Christian group or denomination. This includes links to websites in profiles and signatures. This will include members entering inaccurate personal details in their profile in order to gain access to restricted forums. You will not post new threads for the sole purpose of soliciting requests for prophecies.

Upvote 0
M

Matthias

Yes, I can accept that Icongrapher, but obviously Rome is trying to mend broken bridges by allowing Orthodox to partake in Holy Communion in a Roman Catholic Church, but the Orthodox Church doesn't seem to be showing the same respect in return. I just don't understand that.

I'm probably wrong in saying so, and I admit I don't know as much about Orthodoxy as some people here. Obviously I will not be taking Holy Communion in a Roman Catholic Church once I am baptised as an Orthodox, but will I still be able to attend Mass every Saturday night with my Catholic family?

I can give up taking the Holy Eucharist in a Roman Catholic Church; but I can't give up going to Mass altogether. Is this okay? I also believe that BOTH the Roman Catholic Church AND the Orthodox Church have the Body of Christ present during the Eurcharist, in more than a "symbolic" way.

I've changed my faith icon until I am convinced I am getting somewhere with my journey into the Orthodox Church. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if my priests actually WANT to help me become an Orthodox, or if I will be a burden to them. They seem too busy to want to help me, and this really upsets me...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.